OT: - George Springer | The Boneyard

OT: George Springer

Reaction Score
Huge George Springer fan. His interview with the UConn helmet was hilarious
upload_2017-7-2_19-44-13.png

Reaction Score
George and Mookie Betts have very similar stats and both bat lead off.

There is a one point difference in their batting averages .287 to .286. There have 89 and 92 hits respectively. George has 9 more homers. Mookie has 9 more doubles.

George has the huge advantage of having gone to UConn. Mookie has more stolen bases and many fewer Ks.

Reaction Score
I have a friend who moved to South Carolina in HS and he is a huge supporter of USC sports especially baseball. He told me that SC fans were more impressed with George Springer than any opposing player they saw the entire season . Springer made the best catch he saw all year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I have a friend who moved to South Carolina in HS and he is a huge supporter of USC sports especially baseball. He told me that SC fans were more impressed with George Springer than any opposing player they saw the entire season . Springer made the best catch he saw all year.
That was one of the best defensive plays ever in baseball on any level.

Reaction Score
George is starting in the outfield for the all-star game and most likely leading off. Now that he's in his second fully healthy season he's found his groove and is redefining the leadoff hitter with his power. Good to see and well-earned.
I had always thought of George to be a really good #5 hitter, thought he strikes out too much to lead off, but there you go!

Reaction Score
George Springer - very happy for the Husky, nice player. But suddenly he's going to hit 50? LOL baseball is hilarious. All these HR's is just crazy - the ball, what they use the game is out of control. Someone was crediting Pedro for being so good in the roid era but if you can be a great pitcher this year especially big kudos to you. They're jumping off everyones bats and going 420 all the time, including my guys. Sorry but way out of control. I do realize they approach their swing a ton different these days, fully loaded back and most giving up batting average to hit it out, but so many things jump out including how huge everyone is.

But hey, this what we have so we must live with it if we love the game, can't undo the way it's been allowed to change.

Reaction Score
George Springer - very happy for the Husky, nice player. But suddenly he's going to hit 50? LOL baseball is hilarious. All these HR's is just crazy - the ball, what they use the game is out of control. Someone was crediting Pedro for being so good in the roid era but if you can be a great pitcher this year especially big kudos to you. They're jumping off everyones bats and going 420 all the time, including my guys. Sorry but way out of control. I do realize they approach their swing a ton different these days, fully loaded back and most giving up batting average to hit it out, but so many things jump out including how huge everyone is.

But hey, this what we have so we must live with it if we love the game, can't undo the way it's been allowed to change.
Huh? Springer has always had a lot of pop just couldn't stay healthy and needed to figure out his swing. This isn't some crazy surprise like Brady Anderson in '96. There were a lot of articles about Springer being biggest breakout performer and darkhorse for MVP before the season started.

Reaction Score
Huh? Springer has always had a lot of pop just couldn't stay healthy and needed to figure out his swing. This isn't some crazy surprise like Brady Anderson in '96. There were a lot of articles about Springer being biggest breakout performer and darkhorse for MVP before the season started.

Ok I guess I shouldn't have picked on him, only. He had 744 AB's last year hit 29 - has 27 already. Just saying it's rampant though this year and obvious. Not calling people out for cheating just think MLB wanted something to make the fans happy again, and it's here.

Reaction Score
Ok I guess I shouldn't have picked on him, only. He had 744 AB's last year hit 29 - has 27 already. Just saying it's rampant though this year and obvious. Not calling people out for cheating just think MLB wanted something to make the fans happy again, and it's here.

PEDs is the least likely reason amongst the star players imo (especially Springer who has had a gradual upward trend since college): MLB hitters are on pace to hit nearly 500 more homers this season than ever before

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Pitchers are all saying that the ball is tighter/harder this year which of course means harder and further hits. Another factor is that every team has a bunch of pitchers throwing high 90s and the ball flies off the bat when someone is throwing that hard. On the Sox, their 8th and 9th inning guys both throw 100+. It's a perfect storm for dingers.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

If my memory serves correctly there was a story out there when McGwire started going ape on the ball. He was talking about a reporter asking him if he was okay going 1-4 every night with an HR and 3 K's. McGwire said, "Duh. Yeah. A season with 162 RBI's and 162 runs scored? Who wouldn't want that?"

For almost 50 years the DiMaggio more HR's than K's and Teddy Ballgames .400 average were the holy grail for all hitters. No more.

Reaction Score
PEDs is the least likely reason amongst the star players imo (especially Springer who has had a gradual upward trend since college): MLB hitters are on pace to hit nearly 500 more homers this season than ever before

I would disagree but that's just me. I have no doubt there's something they are taking that is not detectable and there has been. Players/athletes work out harder but still, they don't even look like baseball players anymore. Well a few do but anyone who believes that Thames is suddenly that much of a better player, a much larger guy too, after being in the Far East is whacked. Something is going on and the ball is a major reason too.

Reaction Score

Weird that the sox are hitting so few

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom