George R.R. Martin working on FIVE GoT spinoffs | The Boneyard

George R.R. Martin working on FIVE GoT spinoffs

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm good with letting the TV show wing it from here.

Yeah, at this point. I don't care anymore.

I was in the 'GRRM doesn't owe his fans anything' camp for a long time. Now I just think he's a dick. I take a little satisfaction that he's a Jets fan.

Reaction Score
I'm good with letting the TV show wing it from here.

the TV producers and writers will define the series now for posterity. Kind of sad a guy would write thousands of pages and then turn the ship's wheel over to someone else. Seems like he's kind of lazy anyway.

Reaction Score
The guy wrote the first 4 books of the series and literally no one really knew about it. Gets some money from HBO for the series and just lost all drive to actually write.

He is a sellout at this stage...only thinking about the next HBO series he can make....what does he care if HBO finishes his plot lines he will still make money off of it.

Reaction Score
The guy wrote the first 4 books of the series and literally no one really knew about it. Gets some money from HBO for the series and just lost all drive to actually write.

He is a sellout at this stage...only thinking about the next HBO series he can make....what does he care if HBO finishes his plot lines he will still make money off of it.

I don't think it's a case of selling out. I just think his own story got too big, too meandering, and too complex and he has no idea how to get from his current point in the story to the (rather obvious) conclusion.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't think it's a case of selling out. I just think his own story got too big, too meandering, and too complex and he has no idea how to get from his current point in the story to the (rather obvious) conclusion.

Easy. When in doubt, kill off characters.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

and the longer he dragged his feet the harder it gets to come back and untie the mereneese knot.

He has no impetus to even try to do so anymore. And he was ALREADY lazy.

The series will be unfinished. As someone who started reading thes books in the late 90's and was enthralled, it REALLY pissed me off. But I let go of that anger when the certainty of the show out pacing the books came up a few years ago. Now I simply dont give a crap and probably wont even read WoW.

Reaction Score
and the longer he dragged his feet the harder it gets to come back and untie the mereneese knot.

He has no impetus to even try to do so anymore. And he was ALREADY lazy.

The series will be unfinished. As someone who started reading thes books in the late 90's and was enthralled, it REALLY pissed me off. But I let go of that anger when the certainty of the show out pacing the books came up a few years ago. Now I simply dont give a crap and probably wont even read WoW.

well said, that's where I am. Invested a lot of time reading the books, and reluctantly watched the HBO series but it grew on me, and now the HBO series will be my definitive version because no way in hell I'm reading any more stuff from that guy.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
well said, that's where I am. Invested a lot of time reading the books, and reluctantly watched the HBO series but it grew on me, and now the HBO series will be my definitive version because no way in hell I'm reading any more stuff from that guy.

A lot of the acting is so good, that my permanent perception of the characters is through the eyes of those actors. eg Peter Dinklage is definitively Tyrion Lannister. We're I to read the books again, I'd read Tyrion's parts in Dinklage's voice, and picture him in my head.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I got halfway through the first book, long before the show came out. I never finished because he's not a very good writer. It was overly wordy in dialogue and utterly disjointed. Glad I didn't waste time on it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I got halfway through the first book, long before the show came out. I never finished because he's not a very good writer. It was overly wordy in dialogue and utterly disjointed. Glad I didn't waste time on it.

While you are not wrong on the last sentence, it got a lot better as he went, then became a slog. The hope was he'd finish strong. Now the hope is that he helps put out some good TV I guess.

Reaction Score
While you are not wrong on the last sentence, it got a lot better as he went, then became a slog. The hope was he'd finish strong. Now the hope is that he helps put out some good TV I guess.

His story-telling abilities made me have a new and enhanced appreciation for Tolkien. The first time I read the LOTR trilogy I thought there was a lot of unnecessary fluff in it, but after reading the entire GOT series up to date, I realize that Tolkien provided the perfect amount of detail to make the stories come to life.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
His story-telling abilities made me have a new and enhanced appreciation for Tolkien. The first time I read the LOTR trilogy I thought there was a lot of unnecessary fluff in it, but after reading the entire GOT series up to date, I realize that Tolkien provided the perfect amount of detail to make the stories come to life.

Tolkien was truly a master, and a visionary. It gets lost in the fact that those books themselves got mythologized. Almost too popular for more discerning readers to give the proper respect. Odd how that works.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There has been some chatter in Rolling Stone and EW about the spinoffs in the last couple of weeks. I can't come up with 5 series ideas that make sense. Robert's Rebellion would be awesome. Any other ones would be OK, but so far removed from GoT that they wouldn't really even be spinoffs.

I will put this out there before a spinoff is even announced...I will hate Leanna Stark way more than I hate Sansa if Robert's Rebellion is made.

August_West

Reaction Score
There has been some chatter in Rolling Stone and EW about the spinoffs in the last couple of weeks. I can't come up with 5 series ideas that make sense. Robert's Rebellion would be awesome. Any other ones would be OK, but so far removed from GoT that they wouldn't really even be spinoffs.

I will put this out there before a spinoff is even announced...I will hate Leanna Stark way more than I hate Sansa if Robert's Rebellion is made.

Sansa is Leanna reincarnated

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I would like to see some of the historical stuff. Valeria, First Men, Walkers created, etc..

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sansa is Leanna reincarnated

Let's face it, the Stark's are damn near universally . I don't dislike most of them, but damn, their a bunch of sods. Only good ones are Aria and Uncle Benjen.

August_West

Reaction Score
Sansa is an annoying female doofus. Leanna is an arsonist. Leanna is much worse.

Sansa got her father mother brother septa and a host of others killed. Just because she fancied herself queen That is more than doofus

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sansa got her father mother brother septa and a host of others killed. Just because she fancied herself queen That is more than doofus

Leanna burned Westeros to the ground because she was too gutless to break up with her boyfriend.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Game of Thrones Spinoffs Will Be 'Going Big' With Budget

Now they are talking budget. I think it is safe to say that Martin is probably not publishing Winds of Winter.

It looks like Robert's Rebellion is not in the mix for the prequels, which is disappointing. There is a lot they could have done with it. They could have done it like a 10 or 12 episode, 1 season limited series. The show basically couldn't go wrong if they cast the Mad King and Robert right. Leanna would be tougher, because she couldn't be classically beautiful but would need to have enough something to cause men to burn a continent to the ground over her.

I suspect that Valyria may be where they end up, although I am not a big fan of dragons. I may skip the prequels if they are Children of the Forest and the first men.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom