George O'Leary resigns as coach at UCF | The Boneyard

George O'Leary resigns as coach at UCF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Didn't he recently resign as AD too? UCF will be able to hire a decent coach in that recruiting area. Probably another high scoring OC like Montgomery, Herman, and Morris.

Reaction Score
ThayerEvansSI 4:23pm via Twitter Web Client
Potential Central Florida targets: Dino Babers, Doc Holliday, Greg Schiano, Jeff Brohm & Geoff Collins.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Greg Schiano makes some sense to me. Going to be a tough market this year...so many top tier programs that could be looking for head coaches (both USC programs, Houston probably, Tennessee and Auburn both have coaches on the hot seat, Illinois, Rutgers, Purdue, Maryland, Frank Beamer's days at VT are few, Virginia. IMO all of these spots are better than UCF, who isn't a very attractive option in a market that has the potential to be flooded.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
ThayerEvansSI 4:23pm via Twitter Web Client
Potential Central Florida targets: Dino Babers, Doc Holliday, Greg Schiano, Jeff Brohm & Geoff Collins.

Not exactly the list I would have come up with. Maybe prior head coaching experience will be important to UCF. Of this list, I'd say Schiano or Collins makes the most sense. Schiano can recruit the heck out of FL and Collins is obviously a FL connected guy. But I think UCF could do better.

Reaction Score
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ach-george-oleary-retires-20151025-story.html

>>UCF football coach George O’Leary is retiring effective immediately, wrapping up a 12-year tenure during which he helped put the school’s football program on the national radar, three sources with knowledge of the decision told the Orlando Sentinel.

Quarterbacks coach Danny Barrett is being named the Knights' interim coach.

UCF President John Hitt and vice president Grant Heston confirmed the news and told the Sentinel the school will complete its athletics director search by early December and the new A.D. will help select the next head football coach from outside the program.

[Current UCF offensive coordinator] Brent Key has a clause in his contract that he will be paid $700,000 if he is not the next head coach. We will honor that agreement and the $700,000 will be payable over 24 months," Heston said.<<

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ach-george-oleary-retires-20151025-story.html

>>UCF football coach George O’Leary is retiring effective immediately, wrapping up a 12-year tenure during which he helped put the school’s football program on the national radar, three sources with knowledge of the decision told the Orlando Sentinel.

Quarterbacks coach Danny Barrett is being named the Knights' interim coach.

UCF President John Hitt and vice president Grant Heston confirmed the news and told the Sentinel the school will complete its athletics director search by early December and the new A.D. will help select the next head football coach from outside the program.

[Current UCF offensive coordinator] Brent Key has a clause in his contract that he will be paid $700,000 if he is not the next head coach. We will honor that agreement and the $700,000 will be payable over 24 months," Heston said.<<

Well, that speaks volumes about Brent Key. Also, kudos Key's agent for getting that clause in his contract.

Reaction Score
Greg Schiano makes some sense to me. Going to be a tough market this year...so many top tier programs that could be looking for head coaches (both USC programs, Houston probably, Tennessee and Auburn both have coaches on the hot seat, Illinois, Rutgers, Purdue, Maryland, Frank Beamer's days at VT are few, Virginia. IMO all of these spots are better than UCF, who isn't a very attractive option in a market that has the potential to be flooded.
If Gus Malzahn is on the hot seat, kick out Diaco and hire him immediately.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Theres few things I want more in life right now than for FHCPP to wind up at UCF
For him to end up in Rutgers?

Reaction Score
Sources tell News 6 UCF head coach George O'Leary forced to retire
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/so...coach-george-oleary-forced-to-retire/36055756

>>O'Leary spent Monday cleaning out his office, very upset with the way this played out. Insiders close to coach said, "that he felt betrayed by the administration about being forced to retire," adding O'Leary was told he would not be paid the final two months of the contract. O'Leary has no desire to sue the school for those two months of being paid.

However, News 6 has learned that the coach will be paid an annual salary of $200,000 a year as a special liaison starting in January 2016 through March 15, 2020.

Since being asked to resign O'Leary has not met face to face with any administration staff. One of the sources said, "How do you go from being so beloved after winning a Fiesta Bowl to being treated like this."<<

Reaction Score
If nothing else - his candor and respect stands out.
osknights 5:20pm via Twitter Web Client
UConn coach Bob Diaco said George O'Leary flat out built UCF football from nothing
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...d/os-tommy-tuberville-george-oleary-post.html

>>UConn coach Bob Diaco said he admired the discipline and character of O'Leary's football programs and he hopes the Orlando community will rally around him.

"I’ve always enjoyed watching his teams play. His teams have always been a real challenge to compete against and I have nothing but respect and admiration for him so hopefully he made his decision on his terms and it should look and feel like that," Diaco said. "Frankly, he flat out built the program from nothing into a champion and into a household name so hopefully he’s receiving that type of pat on the back and fanfare and…parade that he deserves down whatever University street or whatever it is."

Earlier in the call Diaco added that he was unclear on why O'Leary's exit came before the season ended but he hoped it was on positive terms. UConn defeated UCF 40-13 on October 10th in a self-created rivalry game he named, "The Conflict."

"If he stepped down because he wanted to retire, then I wish him the best and I hope that he enjoys his retirement and gets a chance to play golf and enjoys his family and enjoys some recreation, it’s well deserved. If he stepped down for some other reason, I just think it’s ridiculous. It’s absolutely asinine. This guy won back-to-back championships, his teams are never in trouble, his players are good people, they graduate, they’re upstanding citizens and if I’m not mistaken, in 2013 he won a championship, in 2014 he won a championship so to me that is really almost nauseating if it was anything other than him excited to visit more with his family, play some golf and do some fishing."<<

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Absolutely. How the heck did that happen?!!
Sounds like O'Leary was trying to pull a Calhoun. While the JC -> KO transition worked out well for UConn in the end, it was in part because Manuel didn't just hand the keys to KO, he had to prove himself. My suspicion is that it would have been disastrous if GOL had his succession plan executed. It sounds like there are factions in their athletic department and while O'Leary deserves a better ending it's probably a good thing for UCF he won't be driving the bus as they look for their next coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom