Geno's Substitution Philosophy Explained | The Boneyard

Geno's Substitution Philosophy Explained

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Every time I go to take someone out I go, 'Oh man, I don't know if I want to do that. I'll get them a breather a little bit later, ' " UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "Then a little bit later comes and I'll go, 'Aww, maybe a little bit later.' Then you look up and 40 minutes go by."

No mystery here.

Samuelson, UConn hold off Louisville

Nothing that some pixie dust and stepping up won't solve.

Reaction Score
"Every time I go to take someone out I go, 'Oh man, I don't know if I want to do that. I'll get them a breather a little bit later, ' " UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "Then a little bit later comes and I'll go, 'Aww, maybe a little bit later.' Then you look up and 40 minutes go by."

Samuelson, UConn hold off Louisville

Nothing that some pixie dust and stepping up won't solve.

or in shorthand............I just don't trust my ********** bench...............

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Rocky - caught that quote during the postgame and enjoyed it.

I am pretty realistic about Uconn teams in major contests - they are seldom more than 6 player rotations with a few cameos thrown in. The important thing for Geno and the team is not any single game or even the two game regionals or FF, it is all the other games when that 6 player rotation is able to rest. The players should all be capable of playing 80 minutes of BB over three days two weekends in a row.

Part of the issue is developing chemistry across a larger rotation is really tough. Napheesa and Z started the ball rolling and Lou and Z appear to be getting better and there is a glimmer of chemistry with Gabby and Z. It has been harder for Walker to get integrated, but maybe.

Reaction Score

I am pretty realistic about Uconn teams in major contests - they are seldom more than 6 player rotations with a few cameos thrown in. The important thing for Geno and the team is not any single game or even the two game regionals or FF, it is all the other games when that 6 player rotation is able to rest. The players should all be capable of playing 80 minutes of BB over three days two weekends in a row.

Part of the issue is developing chemistry across a larger rotation is really tough. Napheesa and Z started the ball rolling and Lou and Z appear to be getting better and there is a glimmer of chemistry with Gabby and Z. It has been harder for Walker to get integrated, but maybe.

Walker is lacking elite ball handling and shooting to play in the back court and all tho she has log arms, she doesn't have enough size right now to do damage or guard in the paint, combine that with playing behind Lou and Pheesa and it's understandable to see why she doesn't get a tone of minutes right now. I think Christyn and Z will fit into the rotation a little better next year, but only time will tell.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

My only worries are an ankle, a hip and a shin.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
My only worries are an ankle, a hip and a shin.
Same here.
I get anxious when Lou is guarding an inbound passer and she is jumping up and down trying to block the pass.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom