Geno's State of the Team Address, Outlook and Respect for Opponents | The Boneyard

Geno's State of the Team Address, Outlook and Respect for Opponents

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts. All IMHO obviously...

During the course of the season, every practice, and every game, is an opportunity for the staff to review, push, coach, prod, etc. players to fix the things they are doing wrong and improve on the things they are doing right.

Once the regular season is over, Geno generally flips a switch. He realizes that the time for fixing issues/problems is over. Tournaments are a time to encourage and give confidence to the players/team to do all the things they have learned without hammering at them for things they need to improve/fix.

I've noticed over the years that he's much more complimentary and encouraging to players come tourney time. So my point is I think there is some of that in the way he approaches the team and the players.

I'm not so sure it's that he knows something he's not telling, as much as he's learned over the years that the tourney is not the time to coach to get better, but rather to coach to instill confidence and encouragement.

Having said that, he did say that he feels there are many teams out there who are a lot better than people give them credit for. He was spot on. Just look at all the upsets by lower seeded teams. Florida Gulf Coast, Creighton, South Dakota, and probably Gonzaga.

That is literally 50% of the games played today thus far. Memo from the "mid-majors" to the P5 - "don't overlook us"...

Reaction Score
Seems like Geno likes to use the Marine Corps boot camp approach. As my dad used to say, the first two thirds of boot camp can basically be summed up as "you &%#! birds can't do anything right and the last third of boot camp was "you guys are now as good as any 10 guys in any other unit" and you believed it. He was a Korean war vet who fortunately didn't get deployed overseas. Instead, he stayed state side and cleaned up the messes when pilots screwed up or mechanical problems popped up during pre-deployment training as a crash crew firefighter. Sorry for the thread hijack but the above post about Geno's approach to the tournament season reminded me of the above.

Reaction Score
Let's think about it. After the hell he went through with all the injuries that just kept coming. Having a 9 woman rotation of really good players and one of them is the reigning player of the year, you've got to feel a lot better about your situation.

Reaction Score
This is the first time since couple years past that I feel the team right now can be comfortably called a UCONN TEAM. And I think Huskies has one of the best, if not the best, training and coaching program in the country. This practice is the foundation of winning the NCAAT. Not only Huskies has 11 NC but also Geno has matured even after 11NCs. I have confidence and hope the hard work this season can bring us the NUMBER 12 that have evaded for so long !! It's a TEAM, not just Paige and Azzie.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lot of sports platitude in Geno's talk. 'Course the thing about platitudes, they're mostly true.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I hope this time around they don't take any team lightly. See Arizona.

“I think we came out with the wrong mentality,” Christyn Williams admitted. “I thought we thought it was going to be easy, I guess, and we got flustered.”

“I think personally, we just didn’t come out with the same fire that we had against Baylor,” Westbrook said. “At this point of the season, we have to come out like we’re playing the best in the nation every night and that’s not how we came out.”

Don't take any team for granted.
1647655385077.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope this time around they don't take any team lightly. See Arizona.

“I think we came out with the wrong mentality,” Christyn Williams admitted. “I thought we thought it was going to be easy, I guess, and we got flustered.”

“I think personally, we just didn’t come out with the same fire that we had against Baylor,” Westbrook said. “At this point of the season, we have to come out like we’re playing the best in the nation every night and that’s not how we came out.”

Don't take any team for granted.
View attachment 74605
Are you really comparing a 3 seed beating a 1 seed to a 15 seed beating a 2 seed?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom