Geno's reaction to Sue's retirement announcement (classic) | The Boneyard

Geno's reaction to Sue's retirement announcement (classic)

Reaction Score
It is always best to retire before your play makes it necessary. Should have done so last year at least. The season is very long and when you get older it certainlytakes it out of you and effects your play as never before.

Reaction Score
Sue Bird is still playing at a high level in the WNBA, maybe not up to her demanding standards, but still great!
When you reach your 40's in athletics it's so much harder to keep a high edge to your game!

Reaction Score
Athletes who can compete at a high level in their late thirties and into their forties is much more common now than it used to be. I watched the Storm last night and mostly just watched Sue to see if I could see if her game is on the decline. She looked just fine. It's mostly the legs that fail older athletes - the quick first step fades, getting up for rebounds and reacting to get loose balls is a beat slower. Sue's strengths were never being quick and explosive. Her strong suit was/is great court awareness, controlling the game flow, taking and knocking down the shots that are there and passing to teammates at the right time and place. She can still do that and if she had decided to keep playing who doubts that she wouldn't have been able to earn a starting spot on any team in the league? Not me.

I'm happy that Sue is leaving the game as a player on her own terms. Having watched her play from her frosh year at UConn and as a pro have been a treat and privilege.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom