Geno's presser? | The Boneyard

Geno's presser?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Do we have a replay? I'm curious what he said.

Dawn did say that UConn is a well-oiled machine, and if you don't play them right, they will make you look stupid.

Reaction Score
*Happy with Liv s performance

* Couldn’t play Azzi more bc SC was successfully attacking her on defense and UConn wasn’t able to hide that. Said he needs to do more to get her open

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This presser was all over the place. Not sure what to make of it. I guess most of what he said it that it is a tale of 2 halves and the team just tired out?

Got to say, Geno can definitely go overboard in his sarcasm at times. I will leave it at that, :(

Also Glad they seperated the coach presser from the player presser.

Reaction Score
This presser was all over the place. Not sure what to make of it. I guess most of what he said it that it is a tale of 2 halves and the team just tired out?

Got to say, Geno can definitely go overboard in his sarcasm at times. I will leave it at that, :(

I typically do not like Geno's presser because he tends to exaggerate a lot of things he said but I really hate this one. Talk about crapping on your players calling some of them "can't play worth a lick but stubborn as ". Why in the hell did you recruit them if they could not play? Calling Paige's overall play not very good at all. I guess he should try to play without Paige to see how it goes.

Reaction Score
Everything Geno says in these things are messages to his players. Times have changed. He needs to understand today’s woman. If he doesn’t…….

1637627530921.png

Reaction Score

I agree. More and more he's trying too hard to be a comedian.

Reaction Score
Geno's teams can't step up against athletic opponents but get the jitters and start making mistakes like today with the inbounds turnovers and the blown fastbreak turnover as well as missing shots and looking for the star to bailout the whole team. This is on Geno and his staff.

Reaction Score
Do we have a replay? I'm curious what he said.

Dawn did say that UConn is a well-oiled machine, and if you don't play them right, they will make you look stupid.
Check YouTube.

Reaction Score
I thought this was a typical Geno presser. I thought his comments were balanced. When he was critical of a player, he was also quick to point out that they did not get enough support from the others. He did say several times that he was pleased with how the team played the first half.

The team will play South Carolina again later in the year. Time to practice hard and get better! Go UCONN!

Reaction Score
Okay my curiosity is getting the better of me. What is it about "today's woman" that he might not understand?
Why they do what they do. Today’s women don’t just buy into things. They think for themselves….. Getting them on the same page means working on 14 different personalities. Not easy. There will be casualties if you think one size fits all……

1637632327329.jpeg

Reaction Score
Found it:

I watched the second half just now and we were awful. They were soft, stop attacking , missing shot or nor taking them. They played like a high school team in the second half. The coach had no answer. They will be Ok but they played an awful half. Too early in the season for a tough game like this.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I typically do not like Geno's presser because he tends to exaggerate a lot of things he said but I really hate this one. Talk about crapping on your players calling some of them "can't play worth a lick but stubborn as ". Why in the hell did you recruit them if they could not play? Calling Paige's overall play not very good at all. I guess he should try to play without Paige to see how it goes.
If he had said the same thing about Azzi that he said about Paige, Azzi would have been devastated and might have shut down for the next month. But he didn't -- he said it about Paige, who he knows has a thick skin and is probably thinking/saying similar things about herself. It's the kind of comment that I can imagine him making about Diana, and she would also take it in the spirit that it was intended.

He said good things about Liv's play because: (a) she deserved it and had earned it -- she played a good game; (b) Liv had been criticized by fans and reporters a lot in the past few years; and (c) Liv is the kind of personality who needs some bucking up.

So I totally disagree with @LoboDays about "one size fits all". Geno does not treat all players the same way, as the above cases illustrate. The best proof of that is that (to my knowledge) only ONE player in the 21st century (Samarie Walker) ever left UConn who was getting significant playing time or had a reasonable expectation of significant playing time. Certainly he has had players transferring from the end of the bench who were not likely to get significant minutes -- and he had others with similar minutes expectations who stayed. (Incidentally, I'm not saying that playing time was the decisive factor in Saylor's decision, but the fact remains that she was not a core player and there was little likelihood that she would be.)

His comments about players' "stubbornness" are contradictory to what he has said in the past. Previously he said that all of his great players have been stubborn -- that it was almost a necessary personality trait for a great player. I think what he was saying today is that some of his current players are being stubborn who haven't yet earned the stripes to do so, which may well be true.

Reaction Score
. . . Getting them on the same page means working on 14 different personalities. Not easy. There will be casualties if you think one size fits all……
If you are suggesting that Geno doesn't coach his kids individually, you couldn't be
more wrong. Nakesha Sales was called "precious" by her team mates because
coach never yelled at her. He always yelled at Diana. (but even with her he could be
sensitive, as he was in the infamous semi-final loss to Notre Dame when Diana had
a poor shooting night).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Paige had that terrible pass in the backcourt in the 3rd quarter that SC picked off and scored. Then Dorka did the same and bam 6 SC points in 10 seconds. Not sure we were ever the same.

For Paige it was a moment of carelessness and lack of concentration. If you aspire to be one of the all time greats, you cant do that.

Reaction Score
This thread has all the makings of the last Franz Kafka novel I read----I wanted out of that book too.

Reaction Score
I’m down on him right now. Hopefully I’ll be back to idolizing soon.
I‘m a long time teacher and supervisor prior. I know what it looks like when nobody’s listening and also what it’s like for people to want to run through a wall for you. Nobody’s had more of the latter than Geno. 38 years?
I contend that our players aren’t developing like they should. Pheesa got better- Olympian, WNBA all-star. Last one to really improve? A list of a bunch that haven’t.
Geno’s got to find his voice! I think he’s got to simplify everything so that these players can relax and play ball. I‘m tired of hearing about “today’s players”, about earning playing time, and about not understanding something. If I was teaching, let’s say chemistry, and my whole class is failing, I’d be in the office trying to explain what my problem was teaching this material. It’s basketball!

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
Paige had that terrible pass in the backcourt in the 3rd quarter that SC picked off and scored. Then Dorka did the same and bam 6 SC points in 10 seconds. Not sure we were ever the same.

For Paige it was a moment of carelessness and lack of concentration. If you aspire to be one of the all time greats, you cant do that.
It was very clear she was fatigued in the second half and not as focused.

Reaction Score
Doesn't Jamelle work with the bigs? I think she is a really good coach and a good person to follow if you are a big at Uconn, so that's why it baffles me why the point and coaching is not getting through to the bigs. Is it just the personality of the players? That when things aren't going well for them they pout or look rattled.

Reaction Score
If he had said the same thing about Azzi that he said about Paige, Azzi would have been devastated and might have shut down for the next month. But he didn't -- he said it about Paige, who he knows has a thick skin and is probably thinking/saying similar things about herself. It's the kind of comment that I can imagine him making about Diana, and she would also take it in the spirit that it was intended.

He said good things about Liv's play because: (a) she deserved it and had earned it -- she played a good game; (b) Liv had been criticized by fans and reporters a lot in the past few years; and (c) Liv is the kind of personality who needs some bucking up.

So I totally disagree with @LoboDays about "one size fits all". Geno does not treat all players the same way, as the above cases illustrate. The best proof of that is that (to my knowledge) only ONE player in the 21st century (Samarie Walker) ever left UConn who was getting significant playing time or had a reasonable expectation of significant playing time. Certainly he has had players transferring from the end of the bench who were not likely to get significant minutes -- and he had others with similar minutes expectations who stayed. (Incidentally, I'm not saying that playing time was the decisive factor in Saylor's decision, but the fact remains that she was not a core player and there was little likelihood that she would be.)

His comments about players' "stubbornness" are contradictory to what he has said in the past. Previously he said that all of his great players have been stubborn -- that it was almost a necessary personality trait for a great player. I think what he was saying today is that some of his current players are being stubborn who haven't yet earned the stripes to do so, which may well be true.
Couldn’t agree with you more. Very well said!

Reaction Score
Doesn't Jamelle work with the bigs? I think she is a really good coach and a good person to follow if you are a big at Uconn, so that's why it baffles me why the point and coaching is not getting through to the bigs. Is it just the personality of the players? That when things aren't going well for them they pout or look rattled.
She wasn’t involved with recruiting until last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom