Geno's Message To Crystal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno's Message To Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
As a side note, according to the NCAA report Geno's introduction produced an ovation from the crowd. That is quite a tribute to the coach of the opposing team and underscores the good sports and true basketball fans that the Husker fans are. I hope we find them in the top 10 in 2-3 years.
and not the yelling at that CViv got from a UConn fan during each timeout

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Dangerfield gets lost out there on the court... especially on D. She's trying to defend the post, switch or stay, fly out to the 3pt shooter. She looks bad at times cause the game is fast and playing D against a team that actually run plays is hard.

Wings and post arent exposed on D as much as the guards... thats why Chong get so much heat but I recently say Nurse get burned as well. But her reputation on D isnt as bad as Saniya

Reaction Score
That wasn't where I was going. I was hinting at what happened to Jefferson during her sophomore season.
I thought it was something religious ---since you mentioned Christmas break!! Forgive me---I have never bought into the --transformation of Moriah after her Freshman year---to me she was great walking into Gampel the first day. I know this is a minority view--that's the way I saw her.
Dangerfield/Crystal--is of the same pattern as Moriah--but she shall take most of her Freshman year to evolve--but evolve she shall.

Merry Christmas..

Reaction Score
"Dangerfield was presented with a message from his coach. Auriemma said she needs to play harder and he was rewarding freshman Molly Bent (17 minutes) for her hard work.

"If you want to keep playing, then you have to compete at a little bit higher level," Auriemma said. "[Dangerfield] is capable of it. But she doesn't play as hard as Molly and she doesn't play as hard as Saniya right now. When she does, she'll play more."

UConn women's basketball breezes into break with win streak up to 86

I suspect we know this because Crystal must get the message.

Of Geno's many great attributes as a coach, knowing how to motivate a player is perhaps his greatest. He always seems to know what buttons to push and when. We, as fans, are not privy to a lot of what goes on behind the scenes and in practice. I know that I for one am a little confused at times as to why he treats players a certain way. He may just ignore a player as she comes off the court (maybe even for a whole season), he might really get in their face during a timeout, or he might even make sarcastic or disparaging comments about a player in a public forum.

But Geno has his reasons for doing what he does. He may be tweaking Crystal for the next game or for some other point further down the line. You want to be the best player you can be? You came to UCONN for a reason. The master psychologist has his ways and his reasons and they work.

Reaction Score
Just got a chance to watch the replay of the Nebraska game and was wondering what people were talking about regarding Crystal Dangerfield "fancy" miss layup shot that may have contributed to her being in the dog house. It did not look like anything fancy to me, sure she may have been able to go up with the left hand, but may be she is more comfortable with going with her right hand and it did not look like she was trying to be fancy at all, just an unfortunate miss lay up that you see from everyone else from time to time. Even the color commentator was saying that she tried a "circus shot" ... did not see it that way at all.

Reaction Score
It might not have been a circus shot, but she took a more difficult shot than she should have - thus an upset coach.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Crystal is very good with her left hand and it would have been a much easier layup than trying a reverse layup on the right side of the basket.

What I think happened was that Crystal was being chased by one of Nebraska's bigs. I think Crystal felt the defender was right behind her and might block the shot, when in fact she had left her in the dust. It was a "court awareness" mistake that she will correct with experience.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Pardon the digression - a branch of the Geno tree - stumbled into the Dee interview and she talks a fair amount of Geno and what he instilled in her.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I thought it was something religious ---since you mentioned Christmas break!! Forgive me---I have never bought into the --transformation of Moriah after her Freshman year---to me she was great walking into Gampel the first day. I know this is a minority view--that's the way I saw her.
Dangerfield/Crystal--is of the same pattern as Moriah--but she shall take most of her Freshman year to evolve--but evolve she shall.

Merry Christmas..

Certainly not a minority view with me.
She was ready from day 1 (IMHO)
But she had to go through the UConn ritual of breaking down and building up.
I always thought that in her case, a different approach, kinder, gentler, would have worked better.

But it all turned out fine in the end.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Danger like Mo were great talents when they got here, but Mo had some less than impressive games just like Danger. I remember several games where Mo came in to spell Ferris, Doty or Hartley only to miss a handful of shots and turn the ball over several times earning a spot on the bench for the rest of the game.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It might not have been a circus shot, but she took a more difficult shot than she should have - thus an upset coach.

She made a spectacular driving layup vs. Baylor so this type of shot is in her arsenal. Whether Geno liked it or not (I don't think he did) is irrelevant because he kept her in the game. It was later, when she drew three fouls (the third being a lazy reach-in) that he sat her down.

I believe the sin she committed was taking plays off and her benching was a visit to purgatory. She can expect to seek forgiveness and become repatriated in time for the confrontation with some of God's amphibious creatures in a land called Maryland. ;)

Reaction Score
Certainly not a minority view with me.
She was ready from day 1 (IMHO)
But she had to go through the UConn ritual of breaking down and building up.
I always thought that in her case, a different approach, kinder, gentler, would have worked better.

But it all turned out fine in the end.

We are in agreement----My posting wasn't as probably read---negative towards your posting--I was posting my love, and belief in Moriah Jefferson from day one.
Jefferson is leading her European team--big time--she is doing just fine.

Reaction Score

Exactly!
Second guessing anyone is near impossible--Geno?? improbable/impossible. Why Crystal was pulled from the game and sat long periods
Crystal knows--and i haven't heard Geno's giving minute details.
If a Frosh want's to make points with Geno---make an impact within 30 seconds of entering the game--big shot, big defensive move, outstanding pass, or assist--that gets his attention.

Reaction Score
Just got a chance to watch the replay of the Nebraska game and was wondering what people were talking about regarding Crystal Dangerfield "fancy" miss layup shot that may have contributed to her being in the dog house. It did not look like anything fancy to me, sure she may have been able to go up with the left hand, but may be she is more comfortable with going with her right hand and it did not look like she was trying to be fancy at all, just an unfortunate miss lay up that you see from everyone else from time to time. Even the color commentator was saying that she tried a "circus shot" ... did not see it that way at all.
At the time of that shot---I thought it a good move, not well executed, to stop the defender from blocking her shot. Not a circus or fancy
our unusual---now the driving layup to the side of the basket with a half circle twist of the arm---unusual but ala Rene!!

Reaction Score
Danger like Mo were great talents when they got here, but Mo had some less than impressive games just like Danger. I remember several games where Mo came in to spell Ferris, Doty or Hartley only to miss a handful of shots and turn the ball over several times earning a spot on the bench for the rest of the game.
Major difference. Mo always had exceptional defense which meant she always got some minutes. Danger is average at best on defense and can be either great or inconsistent on offense. Suspect she will have to fight for minutes next year.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Major difference. Mo always had exceptional defense which meant she always got some minutes. Danger is average at best on defense and can be either great or inconsistent on offense. Suspect she will have to fight for minutes next year.

I don't agree; she is a great talent and if she is willing to be reinvented, to learn to meet Geno's standards, she will be a great one

It's all up to her.
Many have come to this crossroad.
Breanna after her first disaster with Baylor.

If she wants it, it's all there in front of her.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Every kid who plays for Geno seems to go through his unique crucible. Danger will be fine.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score

My impression was that she passed up an easy shot with her left hand in favor of a more difficult playground shot with her right hand. I thought it was "grandstanding" but chose to call it "fancy," a nicer term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom