Geno's Message To Crystal | The Boneyard

Geno's Message To Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Dangerfield was presented with a message from his coach. Auriemma said she needs to play harder and he was rewarding freshman Molly Bent (17 minutes) for her hard work.

"If you want to keep playing, then you have to compete at a little bit higher level," Auriemma said. "[Dangerfield] is capable of it. But she doesn't play as hard as Molly and she doesn't play as hard as Saniya right now. When she does, she'll play more."

UConn women's basketball breezes into break with win streak up to 86

I suspect we know this because Crystal must get the message.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As a side note, according to the NCAA report Geno's introduction produced an ovation from the crowd. That is quite a tribute to the coach of the opposing team and underscores the good sports and true basketball fans that the Husker fans are. I hope we find them in the top 10 in 2-3 years.

Reaction Score
I see this in the MESSAGE Geno sent to Crystal---Molly got the minutes. This is important! Geno doesn't just pull a name out of his treasure chest and say---YOU---MOLLY BENT-- take 17 minutes of game time--Geno TRUSTS Molly.
We all know Mary/Molly is just a Freshman who didn't play USA or other extra type of BB--as Danger did--so her climb up the Div 1 PT ladder is much longer and steeper.
I'm not ignorant enough to think Dangerfield/Crystal shall sit and have her development slowed---or that Molly will be the Point anytime this year (starting that is). But i'm thrilled for Molly!!!

Reaction Score
As a side note, according to the NCAA report Geno's introduction produced an ovation from the crowd. That is quite a tribute to the coach of the opposing team and underscores the good sports and true basketball fans that the Husker fans are. I hope we find them in the top 10 in 2-3 years.
i believe this is what Geno saw last year ---and he choose to play the huskers. Mid-American's are nice.

Reaction Score
Sometimes the Christmas break can help to remind a player why they came to UConn.
I'm sure some of those highly recruited and others take the perks they get for granted. Not all or even many WBB teams stay in ALL first class hotels or Restaurants--or fly in a jet that is Uconn WBB team only--no airport hustle bustle for them. I wonder if any one asked Azura if Duke lives this way/??

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm sure some of those highly recruited and others take the perks they get for granted. Not all or even many WBB teams stay in ALL first class hotels or Restaurants--or fly in a jet that is Uconn WBB team only--no airport hustle bustle for them. I wonder if any one asked Azura if Duke lives this way/??

I'm reminded of an interview of DT, maybe last year, on an ESPN jock show with 4 superannuated jocks and her. She, of course, controlled the room and they were all very respectful of who she was and is. Then one of them asked her about being a UConn super star in Connecticut and as a follow up asked: Could you actually buy anything in Connecticut? And she hemmed and hawed a little and then chuckled and said no, she couldn't.

Reaction Score
When Crystal picked up her 3rd foul, the Nebraska announcer joked: "Geno might have said "call another foul on her so I can get her out of there." :p

Reaction Score
When Crystal picked up her 3rd foul, the Nebraska announcer joked: "Geno might have said "call another foul on her so I can get her out of there." :p

They also said something like "mark this down, this could be a huge turning point in the game as Dangerfield is forced to the bench with 3 fouls". I thought to myself are they serious right now.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm reminded of an interview of DT, maybe last year, on an ESPN jock show with 4 superannuated jocks and her. She, of course, controlled the room and they were all very respectful of who she was and is. Then one of them asked her about being a UConn super star in Connecticut and as a follow up asked: Could you actually buy anything in Connecticut? And she hemmed and hawed a little and then chuckled and said no, she couldn't.

I believe that was this one:

Reaction Score
Both Geno and CD have said that Pheesa sometimes goes into "Pheesa Zone" or some such thing, meaning that she's sometimes unfocused and distracted. Of course, Geno can't afford to sit Pheesa for long in a contested game. I don't think it's that Crystal doesn't play "hard enough", but rather that she loses mental focus for longer periods of time than Geno wants to see. It's a mental game, too, of course, and with the travel, the longer practices & game schedules, the larger crowds, and the much, much faster game than in high school, young players naturally lose focus. But it's essential for her to understand that any mistake she makes--turn over, bad shot selection, bad defense, bad movement without the ball--needs to serve her as an immediate trigger to refocus. You just can't go from mistake-to-mistake, but must use a mistake as a reminder to immediately get back on top of your game.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This strikes me as Geno's way to really rile :mad: up Crystal Dangerfield before the MD game and her personal battle with fellow super freshman Destiny Slocum. It is also nice to see him appreciate Molly and Saniya and he must be ecstatic that they are playing well enough that he can use them as competitive leverage to push her. :D

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Both Geno and CD have said that Pheesa sometimes goes into "Pheesa Zone" or some such thing, meaning that she's sometimes unfocused and distracted. Of course, Geno can't afford to sit Pheesa for long in a contested game. I don't think it's that Crystal doesn't play "hard enough", but rather that she loses mental focus for longer periods of time than Geno wants to see. It's a mental game, too, of course, and with the travel, the longer practices & game schedules, the larger crowds, and the much, much faster game than in high school, young players naturally lose focus. But it's essential for her to understand that any mistake she makes--turn over, bad shot selection, bad defense, bad movement without the ball--needs to serve her as an immediate trigger to refocus. You just can't go from mistake-to-mistake, but must use a mistake as a reminder to immediately get back on top of your game.
It is both/and.

Reaction Score

That wasn't where I was going. I was hinting at what happened to Jefferson during her sophomore season.

Reaction Score
This is my favorite DT interview:

Great interview! To D the WNBA is the "summer recreational league." ("When Messi's season in Europe is over does he go to Argentina to play in the summer recreational league?")

My fav DT interview was a "Cold Pizza" session with her and Dennis Rodman, but I can't find a video...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom