Geno's Masterpiece isnt finished yet | The Boneyard

Geno's Masterpiece isnt finished yet

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well we've been waiting for this all season and we will have to wait a little bit longer. Finally healthy and maybe still not 100% this team has been getting better each game and last nite was just a WOW moment. UConn completed dominated the game from start to finish. Considering where UConn was and what theyve been through this season Geno has done a magnificent job of turning this team around and making them the team we saw before the season started. Each and every player has improved and gotten much much better individually and as a team. We saw everybody play last nite again and we didnt miss a beat. We are peaking at the right time and looking stronger and most importantly very very confident on our execution.

I remember listening to a speaker some time ago speaking about Walt Disney at his funeral. One man said Gee its to bad Walt died without seeing Disney World before it was finished and one of Walts sons said excuse me sir, if my father hadnt seen it first it wouldnt be here. This is similar to where UConn is today. Many of us could see preseason where this UConn team could become and with all they went through this season some of us had our doubts. Over the past couple of weeks we could see their hard work paying off and with the anticipation of our injured reserved coming back one by one we could see what we expected earlier in the season. Then finally last nite when Paige entered the game, well for me it was the finishing touch, the last piece of the puzzle was put in and the team was complete. We still are getting better and getting healthy and up to speed and Oh My Gosh how much better we are and how much better we are going to become.

I remember the 30 pt blowouts from previous seasons. The past few games are at that level. UConn has been overwhelming and we are only getting better and you know what????? the kids know it too. Azzi hinted at it last nite in her interview when asked about being Nasty and she replied we're not their yet. Guys this season could be Genos Greatest Accomplishment. A Masterpiece from where we were, and had to go through to where we are now. The talent was there, the pieces were there and at times the pieces were missing and now the puzzle is complete. Geno has turned this team into a well oiled machine and I expect if we stay healthy we will be unbeatable.

Where are we going?????? To the Top....the Very Top

Reaction Score
I wonder whether this is one of, if not the, greatest job of coaching in Coach Auriemma's career. He has totally transformed this team after the fall of Paige. While Paige was playing, the other players just stood around and waited for their National Best Player to win the game for them. The next few games they stood around and didn't know what to do. But then they began to realize that this season was on them. Each began to fight, play hard, improve their skills, and do what was needed to win.

This group handed Paige a conference championship, a 21-5 season, and top 10 rating nationally. Now as Paige rejoins the team, she finds a UConn team transformed.

Coach Geno's greatest coaching accomplishment?

Reaction Score
I especially liked Fudd's comment. She has an incredible competitive spirit hidden under her sweet smile- that her parents say comes out when she is in the groove. Opposing teams are going to start hating that smile.

It is like when Red Auerback used to light his cigar.

Reaction Score
I also was really impressed that the team last night didn't revert to just watching Paige. Before the injury, Paige was always the one making things happen but I thought last night it was a real team effort and everyone else continued doing their thing and Paige was added value. There wasn't a noticeable change in play during the 28 minutes she wasn't on the floor.

Reaction Score
Right now, in the last game and the BET he’s going to sub frequently and see who responds. The adversity of the season is going to reap benefits as it’s helped the bench players get stronger and gain confidence.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I too have been contemplating whether this season represents Geno’s greatest coaching job. I agree that it’s too early to declare it to be. But if UConn makes it to a 14th straight FF, regardless of what the Huskies do in the FF, count me in as an unequivocal YES to that question.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have previously posted that if? Gino wins No12, IT will be talked about for years to come. It is his skill and leadership and knowing the game UCONN plays that is the difference.GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
I think the last TWO years have been brilliant coaching jobs by Geno.
I'm not totally sure though that the masterpiece isn't some sort of Van Gogh or Jackson Pollock, a great work with a little crazy sprinkled in. I think he was legitimately distraught like we were after Oregon and South Carolina and even Villanova. Even though, probably Azzi keeps track of her misses weekly or even monthly, he hadn't seen it yet in a game consistently. Dorka, not yet, AE not yet.
But his acumen, his experience, his fortitude got the team through the swamp, through the forest back to the clearing and blue sky. I argue from time to time that he might miss a cool overlook occasionally a little off the main trail (subbing patterns) but he sure as heck got the group through the trouble. And ready to move forward!

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
I wonder whether this is one of, if not the, greatest job of coaching in Coach Auriemma's career. He has totally transformed this team after the fall of Paige. While Paige was playing, the other players just stood around and waited for their National Best Player to win the game for them. The next few games they stood around and didn't know what to do. But then they began to realize that this season was on them. Each began to fight, play hard, improve their skills, and do what was needed to win.

This group handed Paige a conference championship, a 21-5 season, and top 10 rating nationally. Now as Paige rejoins the team, she finds a UConn team transformed.

I say so. I've surmised, if they win out (strong lean here) then he should get COY hands down.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I also was really impressed that the team last night didn't revert to just watching Paige. Before the injury, Paige was always the one making things happen but I thought last night it was a real team effort and everyone else continued doing their thing and Paige was added value. There wasn't a noticeable change in play during the 28 minutes she wasn't on the floor.
Paige will be ready next Saturday at noon ET when UConn plays their first game of the tournament. She will have had 4-5 days of practice and conditioning. By then she should no longer be on a limited minute watch. She’ll be ready physically and mentally.

Reaction Score

they haven't even won the ntl title, you're getting ahead of yourself.

Reaction Score
I too have been contemplating whether this season represents Geno’s greatest coaching job. I agree that it’s too early to declare it to be. But if UConn makes it to a 14th straight FF, regardless of what the Huskies do in the FF, count me in as an unequivocal YES to that question.
I know that leaving C.D. out is not intentional by anyone here but, I believe she is as much responsible for the success of this team as he is this year and years past!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know that leaving C.D. out is not intentional by anyone here but, I believe she is as much responsible for the success of this team as he is this year and years past!
Point taken. CD, Jamelle, Morgan, the support staff, the training staff, basically everyone affiliated with UConn WBB are responsible for the success of UConn WBB this season in the face of unprecedented adversity.

Reaction Score
Point taken. CD, Jamelle, Morgan, the support staff, the training staff, basically everyone affiliated with UConn WBB are responsible for the success of UConn WBB this season in the face of unprecedented adversity.
While I agree with you post, My meaning was that while the entire Staff is in some way responsible for the Success of the program in one way or another and while the Staff changes, Some being a part for a short term others much longer, C.D. has been there from the start. Just want her to receive the credit deserved.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Though the season is not over, the coaching job that Geno, CD, Jamelle and Morgan have done is amazing. And to add to the fact that the players, through all the injuries and ups and downs, have never wavered in their determination to compete and win.

Many teams would have wilted under what UConn has had to deal with. The team didn't whine. They laced up the sneakers and went out and played solid basketball. It wasn't always pretty. There were a lot of growth problems along the way. New stars emerged. They held down the fort until everyone healed and returned. They are a completely different team from when Paige went down in December. That is probably the most important note. Each player has grown into their roles and molded themselves into a very difficult team to play. If the St. John's game is any indicator, this team is growing into that Nasty team. The reality is that on any given game, 9 different players can and will step up to lead the charge. Double team the likes of Paige, Azzi, Christyn, Caroline at your own peril. Liv, Dorka and Aaliyah have formed a potent trio for the front line. All different yet all effective.

At this time of the season, there are no freshman, only quality basketball players.

How history will judge this season nobody knows. I believe that Geno and staff have proven they are the absolute best in the business. If the team goes all the way and wins #12, the legend will grow. I am cautiously optimistic it will happen.

Reaction Score
Well we've been waiting for this all season and we will have to wait a little bit longer. Finally healthy and maybe still not 100% this team has been getting better each game and last nite was just a WOW moment. UConn completed dominated the game from start to finish. Considering where UConn was and what theyve been through this season Geno has done a magnificent job of turning this team around and making them the team we saw before the season started. Each and every player has improved and gotten much much better individually and as a team. We saw everybody play last nite again and we didnt miss a beat. We are peaking at the right time and looking stronger and most importantly very very confident on our execution.

I remember listening to a speaker some time ago speaking about Walt Disney at his funeral. One man said Gee its to bad Walt died without seeing Disney World before it was finished and one of Walts sons said excuse me sir, if my father hadnt seen it first it wouldnt be here. This is similar to where UConn is today. Many of us could see preseason where this UConn team could become and with all they went through this season some of us had our doubts. Over the past couple of weeks we could see their hard work paying off and with the anticipation of our injured reserved coming back one by one we could see what we expected earlier in the season. Then finally last nite when Paige entered the game, well for me it was the finishing touch, the last piece of the puzzle was put in and the team was complete. We still are getting better and getting healthy and up to speed and Oh My Gosh how much better we are and how much better we are going to become.

I remember the 30 pt blowouts from previous seasons. The past few games are at that level. UConn has been overwhelming and we are only getting better and you know what????? the kids know it too. Azzi hinted at it last nite in her interview when asked about being Nasty and she replied we're not their yet. Guys this season could be Genos Greatest Accomplishment. A Masterpiece from where we were, and had to go through to where we are now. The talent was there, the pieces were there and at times the pieces were missing and now the puzzle is complete. Geno has turned this team into a well oiled machine and I expect if we stay healthy we will be unbeatable.

Where are we going?????? To the Top....the Very Top
I love your optimism but two big obstacles lay ahead, SC and Stanford. If Geno can win the NC then IMO he is the Coach of the Year!

Reaction Score
"The reality is that on any given game, 9 different players can and will step up to lead the charge. Double team the likes of Paige, Azzi, Christyn, Caroline at your own peril. Liv, Dorka and Aaliyah have formed a potent trio for the front line. All different yet all effective."
Adding to that, In my opinion, when healthy all 9 mentioned could/would be a starter on 99% of the Division 1 teams

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I love your optimism but two big obstacles lay ahead, SC and Stanford. If Geno can win the NC then IMO he is the Coach of the Year!
Certainly SC & Stanford are formidable teams. But neither is blowing out their opponents on a regular basis. Just the other day Stanford had to stage a furious 4th qtr comeback at home to beat unranked Washington.

Both SC and Stanford have set a pattern of winning low scoring, close games with a combination of size and tough defense. Now imagine they run into a deep team like UConn who can spread the floor with numerous scoring options capable of lighting it up from the arc. I suspect neither Tara or Dawn are particularly anxious for that matchup.

Reaction Score
Certainly SC & Stanford are formidable teams. But neither is blowing out their opponents on a regular basis. Just the other day Stanford had to stage a furious 4th qtr comeback at home to beat unranked Washington.

Both SC and Stanford have set a pattern of winning low scoring, close games with a combination of size and tough defense. Now imagine they run into a deep team like UConn who can spread the floor with numerous scoring options capable of lighting it up from the arc. I suspect neither Tara or Dawn are particularly anxious for that matchup.
With the way this team has played the last few games, returning to near 100% health and 2-3 more games to gel, they should be considered one of the TOP 3 teams to win it all. NO one will want to play them, not even SC or Stanford.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I especially liked Fudd's comment. She has an incredible competitive spirit hidden under her sweet smile- that her parents say comes out when she is in the groove. Opposing teams are going to start hating that smile.

It is like when Red Auerback used to light his cigar.
Azzi channeling her inner "Mamba"...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

I understand your comment. However, neither team is invincible. Neither are shoe-ins for the championship game. Both can be defeated as can UConn.

Reaction Score
And that's the thing about one and done tournaments. Any number of things can happen on any given day that can upset the applecart.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom