Geno's end of year meeting with each player. | The Boneyard

Geno's end of year meeting with each player.

Reaction Score
What did Geno tell each player they needed to work on for next year?

Reaction Score
Do you think Geno would have been so anxious to get Z as a transfer if he knew he would only get one year from her? Do you think there is any resentment? Will he become a little gun shy about taking transfers?

Reaction Score
Do you think Geno would have been so anxious to get Z as a transfer if he knew he would only get one year from her? Do you think there is any resentment? Will he become a little gun shy about taking transfers?
He had her as a practice player for a year too. From every report, she fit in with the team. Isn’t that all a coach can hope for? He’s always been wary of transfers, so I expect no change. Not sure we’re a FF team without her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Geno knew that Z would play only 1 year, he may not have taken her. I don't think Z knew she was leaving until some time in March.

I don't think Geno is thrilled, but he's not the type to be resentful. He focuses on what he has, not what he doesn't have.

Geno has always been reluctant about transfers. Natalie, Azura, and Batouly were in unique circumstances, so he accepted more transfers in the last 4 years than in several years prior.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think he's surprised and pissed... I would be, especially if she committed to it (behind closed doors) but things happen. Geno is tired now... something is going to happen in the next 1-3yrs, and 3yrs is stretching it

Reaction Score
I think he's surprised and pissed... I would be, especially if she committed to it (behind closed doors) but things happen. Geno is tired now... something is going to happen in the next 1-3yrs, and 3yrs is stretching it
I can’t imagine he would retire before passing Tara and Pat.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I've sensed a certain level of fatigue in Geno this season. I hope your wrong about 1 to 3 years, but I fear the day when Geno walks away is not too far in the future.

Reaction Score
One of the most positive end-of-season meetings I think he'll have is with the team's current Silent Assassin, Napheesa Collier. I hope he gives her a real pat on the back for an outstanding season, and encourages her to discount any commentary she may have heard about this year not living up to the last one. I thought Pheesa got better and better during the final third of the season, and had a monster Final Four semi-final, which was so nice to see after her struggles in last year's semi-final game.

I'm sure they'll discuss the critical role she'll play next year, what with Z leaving and all, and agree on a few areas in her game to focus on during the off season so she can make an even bigger impact next year. I wonder if Geno will also explicitly thank her for deciding to stay through her senior year, even though she was eligible for this year's WNBA draft?

Reaction Score
Transfers should be a upfront .."Handshake Agreement" ..... Z contributed a lot to the 17-18 team...while she sat a year out, she was a practice BIG for a year .. ... then did a good job as a role team player...Most likely she would have a Championship Ring if Geno started the 2d half as he ended the first half...
If she stayed, there would be another final 4 ...but most important for "Z" a another years experience under CD and staff....She would be First Chair...AA, and a good shot at Player of the Year....
Point to ponder, look at the career of Tina Charles....

Reaction Score
I've sensed a certain level of fatigue in Geno this season. I hope your wrong about 1 to 3 years, but I fear the day when Geno walks away is not too far in the future.
It’s because he takes everything personally which puts undue pressure on him. Certainly not what a 60-something year old wants to deal with at this later stage in life. Geno needs to relax a bit. If people on the boneyard are disappointed in anything less than an undefeated championship season, that’s their problem.

Reaction Score
He had her as a practice player for a year too. From every report, she fit in with the team. Isn’t that all a coach can hope for? He’s always been wary of transfers, so I expect no change. Not sure we’re a FF team without her.
I think Coach has been around long enough, and seen it all, so he would not take it personally that Azura left for the WNBA. He may have been surprised, he may be disappointed and frustrated, but I don't think he would be angry at "Z." He will be angry that it weakens the team he had planned for, but he would not ever resent "Z's" right to make that choice.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno needs to relax a bit.
Hard to be something you're not. Let's hope Geno is out on the golf course knocking it close and making putts.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score

He may be more pissed that she had so much trouble with your defensive schemes ;)

Reaction Score
Hard to be something you're not. Let's hope Geno is out on the golf course knocking it close and making putts.
Geno should just tell CD she is in charge and then go do whatever for the next four or five months. CD loves to be in charge and Geno gets to recharge.

Reaction Score
It's already been a long offseason.
When we experience frustrating losses, as we now have two times in a row ( in virtually identical circumstances ), the off-season is endless. We want to get back on the court, and re-write the endings. But that isn't going to happen.

We have to hope:

1. The team regains its health 100%
2. That the bench players find ways to dramatically improve. Like Crystal did.
3. That the two recruits stay committed and enthusiastic about choosing UCONN.
4. That the coaches regain their energy and find new reasons to work as hard as they do.
5. That the intervening months are good ones for everyone.

But it will seem like forever.

There is little joy in Mudville to tide us over.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure that isn’t public knowledge but we could probably guess what he said.
I would be fascinating to be a fly on the wall. He has a way of getting to the core of things in a positive way. I imagine that each player knows what they have to do, and feels fine about it.

Sadly, we'll never know. And " making it up" ( because we think we know ) just isn't the same.

Reaction Score

uconnfan68- - -If we can get Anriel Howard and with Batouly Camara our chances of making the FF will improve considerably!

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
It’s because he takes everything personally which puts undue pressure on him. Certainly not what a 60-something year old wants to deal with at this later stage in life. Geno needs to relax a bit. If people on the boneyard are disappointed in anything less than an undefeated championship season, that’s their problem.

Crucial for Geno is the answer to the question...
Will you still need me?
Will you still feed me,
Now that I'm 64?

Reaction Score
uconnfan68- - -If we can get Anriel Howard and with Batouly Camara our chances of making the FF will improve considerably!
I meant FF last year. Not sure we make it without Z. Next year, we’ll see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom