Geno's Comments On His Use of Bench Players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno's Comments On His Use of Bench Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I saw this too, and there were other instances. "Body language" is in the eye of the beholder, of course. But I wish I could have yelled to Saniya, "Don't give up! Don't ever give up!" It's easy to back a NPOY. But let's do the harder thing, and pull for this kid as she works through her challenges.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let me start with the part of your post that I agree with : Chong has the talent to succeed and many of us are pulling for her to show it.

But I don't agree with your over-reading of the photo (DannyK's photos of the game posted in this thread on the Boneyard.

View attachment 8082

This is the photo you are talking about correct? Assuming I am correct, you are taking a transient moment in time and projecting what you want to see.
Why not comment that Breanna is so disinterested that can't even exert herself enough to extend her hand to the group? We all know she has the wingspan of a 7'1" player right? (or was that a 7'1" wingspan or was it ...oh never mind. We know she can reach a really long way)

You could also comment that Natalie s obviously disconnected and doesn't feel part of the team as she halfhearted reaches into the huddle.

Pictures are funny things and often do not accurately represent dynamic situations. For example the very next picture in Danny's gallery (or previous picture in time maybe) you can see Chong actively looking around Geno's head to see clearly what he is discussing/drawing. Looks pretty engaged in the process and focused to me.

View attachment 8084
I see the photo showing much more energy in Natalie and Breanna than you do. You are of course correct in that I am interpreting a single photo, and I could be entirely wrong. Still praises to the photographer for an intriguing photo.

Reaction Score
I could see Kia getting into foul trouble early if South Carolina is so inclined. Sometimes she's too aggressive and takes it to the basket out of control.

Reaction Score
Saniya does not have "limitless" talent. While everyone should be pulling for her, the reality is that her play has been disappointing. She is hesitant, which is leading to too many mistakes. Next year she will be buried deep on the bench if her play doesn't improve.

I agree. I have no idea what Saniya has done at this level to make people think she has limitless talent.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Saniya (whom we all want to root for at every turn) seems to have lost her focus altogether. Her play running that makeshift team toward the end of the game last night was not good at all. For someone who last year was known for taking care of the ball, it's telling that she was responsible for several turnovers in a very short period of time. I think we all feel for her and what's happening to her right now. I don't think I've ever said this about any player before, but she is self-destructing at such a fast pace that maybe UConn is not for her. If so, that's a conversation she should have with someone really, really soon.

As for Ekmark, I hope she turns out to be a solid contributor, but I am not convinced. I do not see any similarity so far between her and Mel except their three-point shooting ability, skin color and the fact that neither appears to be very fast. My recollection was that at no time was Mel a defensive liability and she was scrappy as hell. Gabby is fun to watch and is the ultimate Talented Freshman. She does amazing things one moment and loses it the next, but there's a lot more positive than negative. I don't have anything more to contribute about Kiah. She is amazing defensively, but those people who thought UConn could expect an average of 10-12 ppg from her this year are turning out to have been delusional.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I see the photo showing much more energy in Natalie and Breanna than you do. You are of course correct in that I am interpreting a single photo, and I could be entirely wrong. Still praises to the photographer for an intriguing photo.

Well if you took my example "interpretations" of Natalie and Breanna seriously then you missed my point which was it is not possible to make such broad interpretations from a still shot.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Rocky , the only way they get into the UConn bench within 10mins is to get UConn in foul trouble. Not an easy assignment. Also USC risks geting their own players into foul trouble at the same time. Is this also another way of saying 'I don't think my starting 5 can beat your starting 5' ? Talented and deep is the USC bench , but smart are the UConn players not to foul. The game will be a chess match with much at stake.

I think The Huskies will be up for the challenge.
The chess match will be your superior starting 5 versus our superior depth. The game is at Storrs, so you'll likely be favored to win, but hopefully we will get to play twice this season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The chess match will be your superior starting 5 versus our superior depth. The game is at Storrs, so you'll likely be favored to win, but hopefully we will get to play twice this season.

Let me just say...let me just say...I say, let me just say Son...that that would be fun. yes, fun, I say. Pay attention son. (loved those cartoons growing up! I say...)

Reaction Score
............ She is amazing defensively, but those people who thought UConn could expect an average of 10-12 ppg from her this year are turning out to have been delusional........

delusional - This is a free internet sports board, of course we're delusional - exemplified by trying to interpret photos.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Let me just say...let me just say...I say, let me just say Son...that that would be fun. yes, fun, I say. Pay attention son. (loved those cartoons growing up! I say...)

I did, too. I have 3 stuffed Foghorn Leghorns on the shelf over my bed.

I always thought Foghorn Leghorn and Leonard Postosis (Leonard's Losers) sounded alike. UCONN was 1-AA in football back when Leonard's Losers was on the radio, so you may not have gotten it in Connecticut.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
"You could also comment that Natalie s obviously disconnected and doesn't feel part of the team as she halfhearted reaches into the huddle."

I believe that it is an NCAA violation for an ineligible player, during an actual game in her transfer season, to extend a hand fully into a circle of eligible player hands and make actual contact with the circle.

Reaction Score
I missed the first half of the game Wed. night but watched the entire game last night (forgot it was on and went to the mall- DUH! ).

Chong looked OK in the first half. I think she's just trying to figure out how she can best fit it with the team. They had a 5 second call but it was not her fault (this was with the starters).

The second half Stewart didn't play so Tulsa could relax and concentrate on clogging up the middle and playing straight up defense. Chong was trying to get the other players good shots and did things that helped them score. They had another 5 second call but again that wasn't her fault.

She made a couple of mistakes but so did the rest of the team.

Re: the photo- maybe there was someone in the audience she was looking at. She wasn't in the game so who cares.

Reaction Score
I did, too. I have 3 stuffed Foghorn Leghorns on the shelf over my bed.

I always thought Foghorn Leghorn and Leonard Postosis (Leonard's Losers) sounded alike. UCONN was 1-AA in football back when Leonard's Losers was on the radio, so you may not have gotten it in Connecticut.
Leonard's Losers was an entertaining show. I loved how Leonard would make up humorous alternate names for teams. One that comes to mind for ND was "The Pope's Pupils."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Saniya does not have "limitless" talent. While everyone should be pulling for her, the reality is that her play has been disappointing. She is hesitant, which is leading to too many mistakes. Next year she will be buried deep on the bench if her play doesn't improve.
I don't disagree with the first part of your but as for the 2nd part, behind who? i'm not necessarily disagreeing with you per se, but we lose KML and Stokes. KML has guard skills and can easily slide to the 2 if needed (when you have Tuck, Stewie and Stokes on the floor with her)...

But next year UCONN does not bring in a guard. I know KLS played the 1 for Team USA because Durr struggled running the offense, but KLS is not a PG, and probably less of a 2G in theory than KML. So if you start Nurse and Jefferson, who spells them when they need a breather? Ekmark is not really a "guard" either - to me she's more of a wing, but I have not seen her play enough to gauge what her ball handling and PG skills are like.

I get that Geno is frustrated with Saniya, and fans are a bit disappointed, but his options are very limited, unless he goes back out and gets a guard from the 2015 class, and I don't know that there are any who are even top 50... unless you count that 6'2" kid Zelandesi from Italy...

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
That's easy; if we have only two guards (although if Gabby continues to improve, she could easily fill in at the 2, or even start) and one of them needs a breather, we go big. With Stewie, Butler and Tuck backing them, the guards will not have to play too aggressively on defense and can avoid getting into foul trouble. Gabby, KLS, Collier, Boykin or Ek can easily fill in in this situation. Won't miss a lick. Non-problem.

Reaction Score
That's easy; if we have only two guards (although if Gabby continues to improve, she could easily fill in at the 2, or even start) and one of them needs a breather, we go big. With Stewie, Butler and Tuck backing them, the guards will not have to play too aggressively on defense and can avoid getting into foul trouble. Gabby, KLS, Collier, Boykin or Ek can easily fill in in this situation. Won't miss a lick. Non-problem.
Did you see Aja Wilson play guard last night? She also almost hit a trey earlier in the game. The girl has got game!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Did you see Aja Wilson play guard last night? She also almost hit a trey earlier in the game. The girl has got game!
A'ja can hit the three in warmups. She mostly plays inside, but as Dawn gets more comfortable with what she can do, I expect her to take a few more outside shots to help draw the defense away from the other inside players.

Reaction Score
A'ja can hit the three in warmups. She mostly plays inside, but as Dawn gets more comfortable with what she can do, I expect her to take a few more outside shots to help draw the defense away from the other inside players.

I'll admit I haven't seen much of USC. Anyhow I'd be damn shocked if you are even close to being right this year. Kiah Stokes can hit outside shots too. IMO anytime Wilson is playing guard and you have her taking outside shots- the defense has a winning formula for this year.

Reaction Score
"You could also comment that Natalie s obviously disconnected and doesn't feel part of the team as she halfhearted reaches into the huddle."

I believe that it is an NCAA violation for an ineligible player, during an actual game in her transfer season, to extend a hand fully into a circle of eligible player hands and make actual contact with the circle.
It will be a retroactive violation.

Reaction Score
Saniya's problems are all being manufactured by the Boneyarders. That she isn't playing up to your expectation is clear. So clear that many of you are engaging in some 18/19thC discourse regarding face/language/behaviour. Can you rule-out that she was deeply thinking about how she was going to take her oposing player (the one she was looking at) out of the game? And as one person pointed-out, we could go down the line and question what each playing was thinking/doing. What fascinates me is the constant 'thrashing' of Saniya followed by the refrain-- 'we are all pulling for you, you talentful person.' It brings to my mind the (abusive) parent who whip the kid while telling them it is for their benefit.

Reaction Score
Boy, I say boy....

While I cannot take issue with your correct assessment regarding the 5 elite players in UConn's starting lineup, or the fact that SC has a wealth of talent just waiting to make it's way the scorers table, I feel it's my duty as a fellow American to point out what may be less obvious to the casual passerby. Since I look forward to your keen wit and overall basket ball knowledge which permeates your typically insightful posts, I take no pleasure in dispelling this myth you are attempting to promote.:p:D

On UConn's bench is arguably THE top post defending/shot blocking/rebounding center sitting on anyone's bench in all the land. Alongside the "Sultaness of Swat", is a freshman with unique athletic and basketball skillsets, who's contributing measurably in most areas while gaining that often elusive but all important confidence with every outing and a 2nd year combination guard who although hasn't performed consistently up to expectations is more than capable of dropping 2, or 3 long range bombs on an unsuspecting foe who may consider her an afterthought.

Since we all know UConn's top 6 players are as good as it gets in the collegiate game and they are more than capable of going 38+ minutes at breakneck speed, I believe it might be folly to game plan around the hope that somehow, UConn, a team that hasn't experienced real foul issues since a handful of officials succumbed to the less than Academy Award winning tactics of the "diva" led Flopping Irish.

In my less than expert opinion, I believe this game will come down to SC's ability to maintain a level of play over 40 minutes that they may not be accustomed to. If SC can go wire-to-wire at this elevated level, this should be a highly competitive affair, worthy of a 1 versus 2 matchup.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Boy, I say boy....

While I cannot take issue with your correct assessment regarding the 5 elite players in UConn's starting lineup, or the fact that SC has a wealth of talent just waiting to make it's way the scorers table, I feel it's my duty as a fellow American to point out what may be less obvious to the casual passerby. Since I look forward to your keen wit and overall basket ball knowledge which permeates your typically insightful posts, I take no pleasure in dispelling this myth you are attempting to promote.:p:D

On UConn's bench is arguably THE top post defending/shot blocking/rebounding center sitting on anyone's bench in all the land. Alongside the "Sultaness of Swat", is a freshman with unique athletic and basketball skillsets, who's contributing measurably in most areas while gaining that often elusive but all important confidence with every outing and a 2nd year combination guard who although hasn't performed consistently up to expectations is more than capable of dropping 2, or 3 long range bombs on an unsuspecting foe who may consider her an afterthought.

Since we all know UConn's top 6 players are as good as it gets in the collegiate game and they are more than capable of going 38+ minutes at breakneck speed, I believe it might be folly to game plan around the hope that somehow, UConn, a team that hasn't experienced real foul issues since a handful of officials succumbed to the less than Academy Award winning tactics of the "diva" led Flopping Irish.

In my less than expert opinion, I believe this game will come down to SC's ability to maintain a level of play over 40 minutes that they may not be accustomed to. If SC can go wire-to-wire at this elevated level, this should be a highly competitive affair, worthy of a 1 versus 2 matchup.

While I do appreciate your most kind words, I must assert that USC has not one, not two, but 5 or 6 quality players to bring in off the bench, including last year's number one rated prospect and the reigning SEC FOTY and Sixth WOTY. You have a clear benefit of playing at home and it is a known fact that the longer the road trip, the higher likelihood of loss (see Palo Alto in November), rumors of the Gamecocks' demise are greatly exaggerated. I would make a comment about our team flopping, but Nan might ban me if I use our short nickname. With that, I will bid my adieu as it's time to hit the gym.

Reaction Score
While I do appreciate your most kind words, I must assert that USC has not one, not two, but 5 or 6 quality players to bring in off the bench, including last year's number one rated prospect and the reigning SEC FOTY and Sixth WOTY. You have a clear benefit of playing at home and it is a known fact that the longer the road trip, the higher likelihood of loss (see Palo Alto in November), rumors of the Gamecocks' demise are greatly exaggerated. I would make a comment about our team flopping, but Nan might ban me if I use our short nickname. With that, I will bid my adieu as it's time to hit the gym.
I'm am fully aware of SC's bench prowess, which is why a stated it in my previous post.

My contention is simply this.......

UConn has proven, including in a most dominate 40 and oh campaign, that a 6 player rotation is adequate if all 6 players are at an elite level and foul issues are kept to a minimum. It should be clear by now, that UConn is perhaps the nation's most adept team at playing lock-down defense without fouling and since only 5 players are allowed on the floor at any given time, an opponents bench is rarely the dictator of game outcomes.

As deep as SC's bench is, the Husky bench has 2 very capable subs, along with a serviceable 3rd and since their starting 5 consists of 4 of the top players in the country, along with a very solid freshman who are rarely in foul trouble, I just don't see the game coming down to the length of SC's bench. There is no way SC is going to somehow wear UConn out by running in players. That just does not happen against Geno's teams. Nobody wears out a UConn team, I don't care how deep their bench is.

SC flops??? I've watched them some this year and haven't really noticed that.

There will be a home court advantage for the Huskies, no doubt. Although if UConn flew to Palo Alto tonight, the way they are playing with the revamped line-up since the early meeting, they would run Stanford off their floor. I only hope they get a chance to play Stanford again in the tournament.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter how great your bench is if you can't force UConn to go to theirs. UConn's starting five is the best in the country, and the top 6 can go for 40 minutes without missing a beat. So use your subs all you want, but if they aren't in the top five on their own team, how do you expect them to compete with UConn's top five?

Reaction Score
Regarding Saniya, she can and will be a valuable part of our success. The fact that Kia has replaced her as a starter should not diminish Saniya's importance to the team. And I believe she has gotten better almost game by game. Let's start looking at her as our first guard off the bench and compare her to other teams' first guard off their bench. We are way ahead in that comparison and another example of why UCONN is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom