Geno's Chemistry Set | The Boneyard

Geno's Chemistry Set

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Through the years, UConn WBB fans have frequently lamented a lack of team depth. While it remains to be seen just how many players Geno will use, if and when the Big Dance rolls around, as of right now, UConn goes 9-deep during Prime Time. So at least for the time being, Geno is a little like a kid with a chemistry set mixing things together to see what happens.

In the Providence game, Geno started Aaliyah for the first time, something many BY’ers have justifiably advocated for. Unfortunately, after an 11-day hiatus, UConn came out flat. Geno’s next concoction was something we have not seen so far this season. He yanked 4 starters, leaving only Paige on the floor. UConn trotted out Anna, Aubrey, Nika and Mir, putting a small, exceptionally quick team on the floor. Aubrey covered and largely neutralized Providence’s super quick pg. Anna covered their post. In the course of about 5 minutes, that lineup completely overwhelmed the Friars, putting the Huskies into a lead from which they never looked back.

As Geno continues to experiment with various lineups, there are a couple of factors to keep in mind. One thing we learned in Geno’s postgame presser was that the freshmen are working very hard at practice and getting better, which is great news. We all anticipated that Paige and Aaliyah would earn prime time PT. But we had questions about the other freshmen. Now it is clear that both Mir and Nika are not content to bide their time and play only mop-up minutes. Surely, they realize the strong possibility that this year’s entire team could return next season, only to be joined by 4 more outstanding freshmen. If they want to ensure PT going forward, there is no time like the present to establish themselves as key contributors.

There is another factor that should also be mentioned. In chemical terms, a solvent is a substance in which other materials dissolve to form a solution. At this point in the season, Paige is the solvent. Not only does she lead the team in scoring, 3-pt shooting, assists and steals, but Paige also leads UConn in minutes played at just under 35 mpg. Whatever the lineup Geno decides to roll out, it usually includes Paige.

I strongly expect that we have not seen the last of Geno’s lineup experimentation. If UConn hits on that perfect formula, maybe, just maybe, in this season like no other, there just could be a 12th banner at the end of the journey…….

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think most of the experimenting will be over soon and we will go 8 deep in the Tournament. Anna will continue to get large minutes starting or off the bench and Nika brings too many intangibles to be ignored even if her shooting is a problem. I do not see Mir breaking into the top 8 at this stage because whatever Mir brings, Aubrey is just a little (or perhaps alot) better

Reaction Score
Chemistry GIF by memecandy

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think most of the experimenting will be over soon and we will go 8 deep in the Tournament. Anna will continue to get large minutes starting or off the bench and Nika brings too many intangibles to be ignored even if her shooting is a problem. I do not see Mir breaking into the top 8 at this stage because whatever Mir brings, Aubrey is just a little (or perhaps alot) better
You may be correct. But Aubrey & Mir on the floor at the same time gives UConn 2 ferocious, athletic defenders who can create havoc with an opponent’s offense, as they did vs Providence.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You may be correct. But Aubrey & Mir on the floor at the same time gives UConn 2 ferocious, athletic defenders who can create havoc with an opponent’s offense, as they did vs Providence.

I think for brief periods when we need an energy injection or intensify the trap but having 2 players on the court who do not pose an offensive threat outside the post is not ideal for court spacing and not the way Geno wants his offense to look.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@oldude I don't think UCONN has played a game yet that could be considered "Prime Time". On the remaining schedule there is only TN and South Carolina that might be considered as prime time then hopefully a FF or Championship run in the tournament I wouldn't expect the rotation to continue to be 9 deep for a tournament run or against South Carolina.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
@oldude I don't think UCONN has played a game yet that could be considered "Prime Time". On the remaining schedule there is only TN and South Carolina that might be considered as prime time then hopefully a FF or Championship run in the tournament I wouldn't expect the rotation to continue to be 9 deep for a tournament run or against South Carolina.
My use of “prime time” is in reference only to the period of the game when both teams play there best players, as opposed to mop up time. Prime time does not refer to the strength of UConn’s opponents. Clearly, Geno’s substitution patterns will likely be different in those games vs top opponents, the extent of which will be determined by how everyone plays now, against lesser opponents.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think there is a few unknowns in your supposition:
1. How much does Mir improve her understanding of the offense to contribute in spacing, ball movement and screening? Geno stated in the post-game of PC he loves and counts on the energy that Mir and Nika bring so that will always be in his back pocket.
2. Paige is averaging too many minutes in my view and we need to see Nika as the sole point guard on the floor at times (Paige on the bench) to truly assess her court vision, ability to drive and dish, drive and score and pick and roll.
IF these two unknowns develop as hoped, we can be 9 deep. Just my humble opinion. :)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Our opponents will dictate now much Geno tinkers with the line-up. We know who the players are that will get major minutes: Paige, Christyn, Evina, Anna, Liv, Aaliyah, Aubrey and I believe Nika. That's 8. As to what combo, who knows. Mir will get minutes.

I think what everybody needs to remember is the team chemistry. It is evolving but has a ways to go. Chemistry evolves over time. Give it time.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
If you don't see it now, you won't see it then. Fun to speculate but the mass subs in the last game are a far as I have ever seen Geno go. I mean seeing Aubrey and Mir for an extended stretch in meaningful situations is mind blowing and so un Geno like. Would you do this if you had the keys to the car?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think there is a few unknowns in your supposition:
1. How much does Mir improve her understanding of the offense to contribute in spacing, ball movement and screening? Geno stated in the post-game of PC he loves and counts on the energy that Mir and Nika bring so that will always be in his back pocket.
2. Paige is averaging too many minutes in my view and we need to see Nika as the sole point guard on the floor at times (Paige on the bench) to truly assess her court vision, ability to drive and dish, drive and score and pick and roll.
IF these two unknowns develop as hoped, we can be 9 deep. Just my humble opinion. :)
Not concerned about Paige's minutes at this point she is young and healthy. When the ball is not in Paige's hands its in Evina's. AM is a capable playmaker as well. My biggest unknown (concern) is Evina's health at this point. Nika is really your 4th option as a playmaker. Crunch time, prime time or however we want to couch it Geno is not going to his 4th playmaker in those meaningful situations. @oldude is correct Geno is experimenting with the rotation. Our mistake is projecting Geno's experiment against Providence and other BE opponents into what he will do in meaningful minutes/games. BTW I'm not so sure every player has passed the experiment-eg, I don't expect to see Aaliyah as a starter again until her Sophomore year. AE will also need to get her A:TO rate markedly improved to justify more minutes. 2 assists: 15 TOs is not going to cut it. In addition to her shooting woes Nika has more turnovers than she does assists for the season 7 Assists:8 TO.-not exactly a passing grade even for the 4th playmaker.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Through the years, UConn WBB fans have frequently lamented a lack of team depth. While it remains to be seen just how many players Geno will use, if and when the Big Dance rolls around, as of right now, UConn goes 9-deep during Prime Time. So at least for the time being, Geno is a little like a kid with a chemistry set mixing things together to see what happens.

In the Providence game, Geno started Aaliyah for the first time, something many BY’ers have justifiably advocated for. Unfortunately, after an 11-day hiatus, UConn came out flat. Geno’s next concoction was something we have not seen so far this season. He yanked 4 starters, leaving only Paige on the floor. UConn trotted out Anna, Aubrey, Nika and Mir, putting a small, exceptionally quick team on the floor. Aubrey covered and largely neutralized Providence’s super quick pg. Anna covered their post. In the course of about 5 minutes, that lineup completely overwhelmed the Friars, putting the Huskies into a lead from which they never looked back.

As Geno continues to experiment with various lineups, there are a couple of factors to keep in mind. One thing we learned in Geno’s postgame presser was that the freshmen are working very hard at practice and getting better, which is great news. We all anticipated that Paige and Aaliyah would earn prime time PT. But we had questions about the other freshmen. Now it is clear that both Mir and Nika are not content to bide their time and play only mop-up minutes. Surely, they realize the strong possibility that this year’s entire team could return next season, only to be joined by 4 more outstanding freshmen. If they want to ensure PT going forward, there is no time like the present to establish themselves as key contributors.

There is another factor that should also be mentioned. In chemical terms, a solvent is a substance in which other materials dissolve to form a solution. At this point in the season, Paige is the solvent. Not only does she lead the team in scoring, 3-pt shooting, assists and steals, but Paige also leads UConn in minutes played at just under 35 mpg. Whatever the lineup Geno decides to roll out, it usually includes Paige.

I strongly expect that we have not seen the last of Geno’s lineup experimentation. If UConn hits on that perfect formula, maybe, just maybe, in this season like no other, there just could be a 12th banner at the end of the journey…….

From your mouth . . .
Playing time is predicated largely on the games' score. It's true that Geno's subs in the last game gave the team a jolt. It's also true that UConn was never in any danger of losing that game. The starters surely would have won anyway--had they remained.
The subs will come in mostly because the team frequently will be in blow-outs or in games for which the outcome is preordained. As Coach said, "As long as Paige is in the game we'll be OK."
I should add that a player like Aubrey who is as close to a shut-downer as we have has useful impact. If Ania is scoring, she, too, can make a difference. BUT if only last week's starters had never been subbed out, the Huskies still would have won by gobs.
Geno is playing the hand he's been dealt. The rotation shortens when/if the tough games begin.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

OD, as usual, this is a very well written, timely and thought provoking piece. This narrative is as good or better than the columns we get from professionals. The scary thing is that we think so much alike. I agree with the entire content of this post. Thank you sir. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I for one would like to see them BOTH on the floor at the same time during prime time. Mir hasn't quite gotten there yet, but with additional playing time now to the end of February, she might establish herself enough to earn that 9th spot in the rotation. She does rebound and play defense, and she can shoot free throws. I don't expect her to play as well NOW as I will this time next year.

Reaction Score
OD, as usual, this is a very well written, timely and thought provoking piece. This narrative is as good or better than the columns we get from professionals. The scary thing is that we think so much alike. I agree with the entire content of this post. Thank you sir. :cool:

ben affleck bromance GIF by The Academy Awards

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you don't see it now, you won't see it then. Fun to speculate but the mass subs in the last game are a far as I have ever seen Geno go. I mean seeing Aubrey and Mir for an extended stretch in meaningful situations is mind blowing and so un Geno like. Would you do this if you had the keys to the car?
I blame it all on Doug Bruno who must have convinced Geno that wholesale substitution is the way to go.

Reaction Score
Everything that you have said is correct. THE MAN is absolutely fantastic at reading personalities and pushing buttons. He is also a great teacher. Between Chris Daly and himself he knows how to balance hot and cold in order to get the correct mixture. Proof is the success he has into making UConn one of the premier programs in women's basketball as well as THE RESULTS ACHIEVED.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If you don't see it now, you won't see it then. Fun to speculate but the mass subs in the last game are a far as I have ever seen Geno go.
He did something very similar back in the early 2000's. Can't remember what year '03? '04? '05?. He took the whole starting line-up out and even had a walk/on (Stacey Marron) in the game in the 1st half.

Also in 2015, he sat Stewart and Tuck 5 minutes into the game, for the rest of the game.

Reaction Score
Lots of good points here. I sometimes think Geno is faced with dual competing objectives this year. With lots of inexperienced young players, he would like to give the end of the bench some minutes to grow and learn, during the less competitive conference games.

The problem is there are also young inexperienced players in the rotation that he needs to get ready, used to each other, and the system, before the tournament. With far fewer games, he doesn't have much opportunity to get tournament ready with the core, and develop the young end of the bench at the same time. As a result in blowouts he still tends to let the core rotation get a little more time together because I think he considers that a higher priority, at least until he thinks that group is where it needs to be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom