Geno's Biggest Decision For 2021-22: 3 Guards or 4? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno's Biggest Decision For 2021-22: 3 Guards or 4?

Reaction Score
Then there's the 5 best players option. Though a matter of opinion, that option leads me to 3 bigs and 2 guards. So: something like Azzi and Paige plus Dorka, Liv, and Aaliyah. That provides size, rebounding, and shooting around the post and great perimeter scorers/passers on the outside. I can imagine that line-up facing anyone UConn will play this year.
I understand that people get hysterical if a favorite player isn't included, but, in the end, the best 5 should be on the court whomever you think they are.
Poor CW, once again the forgotten heading for AA.

Reaction Score
Whatever you think about the idea you could—could and pigs might fly—see Geno copying the Storm’s use of Lou and Talbot as a combined three. It does mean fresh legs but it also interrupts the flow. There were games when Lou’s being on bench ultimately cost Storm the game. In the loss, Lou played 35 minutes, hit 6 of 10 (60%) of her shots, including 4 of 6 from 3 (67%), gaining confidence with every minute on the floor, being the main reason why the team earned overtime, and was the team’s top scorer with 18 points. There were numerous games when Lou spent early extended periods on bench with 7-10 points. So I might suggest Geno go with a modified two starting lineups, modified in that Paige is on both teams. Paige, CW, Ono, Evina, Aalilah then Paige, Dorka, Azzi, Nika, Caroline, each starting and playing a half.

Reaction Score
Last night I watched a Youtube highlight video of last year's S Car game. Right at the beginning the announcers discussed Geno's decision to start 4 guards. Edwards came off the bench and UConn won the game. UConn can start 4 guards and win. I don't think they will but they could.

Sorry if this was already posted but there's too many posts to read.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I believe that Geno and the other coaches are already recording scenarios on paper about different combinations on the court. Using a 6-7 player rotation the past few years hasn't worked to get that golden ring, and he knows that he now has the opportunity to increase that to at least 8-9. I'm sure he wants to cut the PT of his starters by 6-8 minutes, and I'm talking about ALL starters. If we don't have fresh players playing in the fourth quarter, we may never get that ring. The level of energy playing a team like SC could be twice as much as playing a team like Butler. So his biggest challenge is finding out who can play at this level right now, and how can he incorporate the new players with the returners. He knows what last years starters can do, so I don't think those players will change in the beginning, with the emphasis being who can play with the players already starting. He know the starters are good, so his challenge will be to find the right combinations for the minutes when starters are on the bench resting. The girls that prove they can play will play, and these players will get all the minutes that the team needs them to play. Simple as that, so changing the starting line-up will be a headache he does not have to deal with. For now, lets just say that can change later in the season if it is warranted, but integrating new players in the line-up is what playing practice games (BE games) is all about.

Reaction Score
Last night I watched a Youtube highlight video of last year's S Car game. Right at the beginning the announcers discussed Geno's decision to start 4 guards. Edwards came off the bench and UConn won the game. UConn can start 4 guards and win. I don't think they will but they could.

Sorry if this was already posted but there's too many posts to read.
Depends on who your biggest guard is having to guard, right?

for SC you could definitely live with a matchup with Saxton, but Boston might not go so well.

Reaction Score
Depends on who your biggest guard is having to guard, right?

for SC you could definitely live with a matchup with Saxton, but Boston might not go so well.

Guarding Boston one on one is difficult at any height.

Reaction Score
Poor CW, once again the forgotten heading for AA.
Not to worry. After Paige I believe she will be consistently good during her senior year to merit AA honor, maybe even 1st team. Why? because of her awakening on defense and feeling free to play her natural game now that there are proven playmakers on the team and a great balance with the front court players exist on the team. She will be more confident to lead from strength.....that is expected of a senior.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not to worry. After Paige I believe she will be consistently good during her senior year to merit AA honor, maybe even 1st team. Why? because of her awakening on defense and feeling free to play her natural game now that there are proven playmakers on the team and a great balance with the front court players exist on the team. She will be more confident to lead from strength.....that is expected of a senior.
I’m already on record on this, but I think this is going to be a really good year for Williams. I’ve talked about way before.

Reaction Score
They will not start 4 guards, not with as many good Bigs as they have, two of whom started last year. There may be times when four guards are on the floor, but not on a regular basis. There may also be times when there are three Bigs on the floor and only two guards.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They will not start 4 guards, not with as many good Bigs as they have, two of whom started last year. There may be times when four guards are on the floor, but not on a regular basis. There may also be times when there are three Bigs on the floor and only two guards.
Fully agree with your first two sentences but not the third. Having three bigs on the floor at the same time presumably (Aaliyah , Liv and Dorka) would mean that one of them is playing the wing or S/F position. While Aaliyah is best equipped of the three (something I've been advocating for a while now) the team is too deep at that position. Dorka and Liv simply cannot guard on the perimeter which is a major requirement of the S/F position as is three point shooting. Aaliyah did not attempt a 3 Point shot last season. I'm projecting Evina starts at S/F backed up by Aubrey, Caroline, Saylor and Mir. I can also see both Azzi and Christyn Williams logging minutes at that wing S/F position in the 4 guard 1 big lineup.

Reaction Score
Fully agree with your first two sentences but not the third. Having three bigs on the floor at the same time presumably (Aaliyah , Liv and Dorka) would mean that one of them is playing the wing or S/F position. While Aaliyah is best equipped of the three (something I've been advocating for a while now) the team is too deep at that position. Dorka and Liv simply cannot guard on the perimeter which is a major requirement of the S/F position as is three point shooting. Aaliyah did not attempt a 3 Point shot last season. I'm projecting Evina starts at S/F backed up by Aubrey, Caroline, Saylor and Mir. I can also see both Azzi and Christyn Williams logging minutes at that wing S/F position in the 4 guard 1 big lineup.
I think that can be easily overcome in an era of positionless basketball. You put Edwards on the perimeter for defense and Dorka on the perimeter for offense. Those women are talented enough to make that work.

Reaction Score
I think we might see it this year in one of the SC games. I could see Dawn throwing the kitchen sink at UConn if she gets desperate with a Boston, Cardoso, and Amihere line up and Geno responding in kind with his own big line up.... Dorka has the skill to play at the 3 for periods of time.
I doubt you will ever see such a lineup. Stanford might see it if we get into another smashmouth, but I doubt anyone else will see it especially UConn who has excellent perimeter shooting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think that can be easily overcome in an era of positionless basketball. You put Edwards on the perimeter for defense and Dorka on the perimeter for offense. Those women are talented enough to make that work.
You should not try to make it work if you have better alternatives. Why try and fit a square peg into a round hole when you have an abundance of perfectly good round pegs that can get the job done?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I doubt you will ever see such a lineup. Stanford might see it if we get into another smashmouth, but I doubt anyone else will see it especially UConn who has excellent perimeter shooting.
I appreciate that a SC supporter understands the inherent difficulty in trying to play 3 Bigs at the same time, however talented they may be, against a team that can spread the floor and shoot the basketball. I strongly suspect that Dawn will use her Bigs in overlapping waves in order to wear down opponents.

Reaction Score
I appreciate that a SC supporter understands the inherent difficulty in trying to play 3 Bigs at the same time, however talented they may be, against a team that can spread the floor and shoot the basketball. I strongly suspect that Dawn will use her Bigs in overlapping waves in order to wear down opponents.

the other issue is that three bigs probably isn't SCar's best offensive or defensive alignment so not sure why that lineup would get trotted out.

it's just inviting zone while potentially taking a theoretical shooter and perimeter capable defender off the floor.

Reaction Score
I have long advocated for the end of the 4 guard lineup and also like Coco believe we don't need to find ways to use a big at the 3 as well. Either way, a guard at the 4 or a big at the 3 is sub-optimal when you have very good players who could play their natural position. For the most part Paige and Nika get the minutes at the point, Christyn Evina, Azzi and maybe Caroline split 80 minutes at the 2/3. Aaliyah and Aubrey get the 4 minutes, and Liv and Dorka the minutes at the 5. Sure there are scenarios where Geno may want to juggle that a little based on the game, but I think that is likely to be the situation for most games.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have long advocated for the end of the 4 guard lineup and also like Coco believe we don't need to find ways to use a big at the 3 as well. Either way, a guard at the 4 or a big at the 3 is sub-optimal when you have very good players who could play their natural position. For the most part Paige and Nika get the minutes at the point, Christyn Evina, Azzi and maybe Caroline split 80 minutes at the 2/3. Aaliyah and Aubrey get the 4 minutes, and Liv and Dorka the minutes at the 5. Sure there are scenarios where Geno may want to juggle that a little based on the game, but I think that is likely to be the situation for most games.
I agree mostly. However, a healthy Saylor has all the tools to contribute at the SF position or as a stretch 4. Saylor is equal to Aubrey defensively, a very good passer and ball handler and only in need of regaining her health (mobility) and 3 ball.

Reaction Score
You should not try to make it work if you have better alternatives. Why try and fit a square peg into a round hole when you have an abundance of perfectly good round pegs that can get the job done?
Better alternatives is situational.... I have always believed in being able to give an opponent different looks throughout a game so they can't get comfortable. I am always going to be a proponent of a big line up option just as much as a fast small ball option in addition to the traditional starting 3G/2F line up.

As far as Edwards, if the coaches are also good teachers and preparing her for the next level, she needs to improve her abilities at the 3. When it comes to the WNBA she's in that SF to PF tweener size not unlike Pheesa so she'll need to be able to function on the perimeter as a professional and not be a one trick down low pony. Let's learn now.

Reaction Score
I agree mostly. However, a healthy Saylor has all the tools to contribute at the SF position or as a stretch 4. Saylor is equal to Aubrey defensively, a very good passer and ball handler and only in need of regaining her health (mobility) and 3 ball.
Won't say you're right, but I can't say you're wrong.
Just didn't see enough of Saylor to judge her skills in game situations.
However, if she is "equal to Aubrey defensively".......
Some folks at Marquette, DePaul, etc. are going to be very stressed out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Won't say you're right, but I can't say you're wrong.
Just didn't see enough of Saylor to judge her skills in game situations.
However, if she is "equal to Aubrey defensively".......
Some folks at Marquette, DePaul, etc. are going to be very stressed out.
That "healthy" part is significant for Saylor's performance. Her injuries included a hip which required surgery to repair and a fracture in her back. If she can get back to her Junior year of High School or USA basketball U16 form then yes she can possibility be a better defender than Aubrey. Also keep in mind that she played all 5 positions on her High school team and helped her mother coach.

Reaction Score
All mad some great and interesting comments and points. With so many options at his disposal for this team, Coach Geno and the Coaching staff are going to have an interesting time putting five on the floor and then bringing in that 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, & 10th player. I just would love to be able to attend a practice session to see the competitive fire between possible units. Our 2nd unit is going to give other teams some serious problems if players buy into their roles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom