Geno's best Freshman class in a LONG time | The Boneyard

Geno's best Freshman class in a LONG time

Reaction Score
Paige, Edwards, Mir & probably Nika will have major impacts. Team got more athletic, more physical & more skilled. Not sure if they have enough against Louisville, SC, Stanford or Baylor this year, but they have a decent shot to win another title.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me say this. We have the height needed and we have better guards and passing then any top team in America. By the time we get to March look out. The only chance we have to loose is against Baylor because we may not be ready but I highly doubt it. After that we should be a steamroller. We have the talent and when it gets there we get there. There was a thread talking about Paige and other freshman IMO there is no comparison. Paige is in a league of her own and there isnt a guard or player for that matter that can hold a candle to her. If Paige stays out of foul trouble UConn wins. Its that simple.

Reaction Score
Let me say this. We have the height needed and we have better guards and passing then any top team in America. By the time we get to March look out. The only chance we have to loose is against Baylor because we may not be ready but I highly doubt it. After that we should be a steamroller. We have the talent and when it gets there we get there. There was a thread talking about Paige and other freshman IMO there is no comparison. Paige is in a league of her own and there isnt a guard or player for that matter that can hold a candle to her. If Paige stays out of foul trouble UConn wins. Its that simple.

Paige is incredible and most other years she would be in a league of her own as a Frosh -

But Caitlin Clark is averaging 30 PPG, 6 RPG, 6 APG through 5 games.

And Te-Hina Pao Pao and Hailey Van Lith are pretty darn good as well..

Paige is the crown jewel... but a special, special class both at UConn and Nationwide.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Paige is incredible and most other years she would be in a league of her own as a Frosh -

Paige is the crown jewel... but a special, special class both at UConn and Nationwide.

Best crop of freshmen PGs in quite a long time, probably ever. Especially since PGs have rarely been standouts for USA basketball relatives to forwards, posts and wings.

Just from highlights of the first two games I think Bueckers is the standout PG. Moves very well and seems very patient which is impressive for a frosh. Pass first PG who could score 20 points on a given night. Also the best playmaker for UCONN and has great size and athleticism. Honestly she might be one of the most unique PG prospects that I've ever seen and she'll make the Huskies really dangerous for the next few years. Lots of similarities to Ionescu but less ball dominant and appears to be a better athlete.

Pao-Pao reminds me a LOT of Sue Bird. Very composed and level headed. Solid passer and has shown great awareness of when to call her own number vs distribute to others. Great pullup jumper. She'll be really good. Doesn't appear to have the same passing/playmaking ability as Bueckers but their style of play seems a bit different.

Clark is a great playmaker and a solid passer. More ball dominant than the top 2 but it makes sense considering she's playing at Iowa. Great shooter and a very quick release.

Van Lith reminds me more of Clark than the others since she's been a big scorer early. Great playmaker and dynamite with the ball in her hands. Can score from anywhere and is a very good athlete.

Reaction Score
this year's freshman class appears to be very strong..........next year's freshman class will be even better...........two great recruiting classes in a row is what eventually leads to national championships

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Interesting comment pre-game by Daniel Connolly about the freshmen:

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 7.31.13 AM.png

Reaction Score
PB has been unbelievably good the first two games. The competition wasn't great but she took a huge step in game 2. With her length and obvious talents, she is going to be dynamite against the best guards in the nation - at least I think so from the small sample size I have seen. She scores without needing a high volume of shots and she makes things easier for her teammates with her passing skills which are already some of the best I have seen in WCBB. Great handle as well. She is a low risk, high reward player as opposed to say Cooke who I feel is a high risk high reward player.

Edwards took a huge step forward in Game 2 as well. Seton Hall was soft on the inside so we will have to see how she does with better competition, but you got to like what you saw! Physical, tough, great competitor and athletic. Can she hit the 12 footer? If she can, we will have a nice high low game with her and Liv. It appears as though I may have underestimated her in my comparison earlier with Willnet Crockett. She has all the toughness of WC but more movement skills, which I think will lead to more offensive skills.

I love MM. Somebody explain to me how she can come in and make an immediate impact in 4 minutes with her hustle, rebounds and points and then not play a minute in the second half? Seems harsh for whatever she did.

Nika hasn't done much yet, but I still like her. She gets it and is figuring out how to be a factor and adjust. She is not afraid and you can see that. I really believe she will come around soon.

The jury is out on Piath but you got to love the size and big smile!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

When have you ever seen a UConn player average 30 points? Never. When have you seen UConn win the NC? Eleven times and counting. It's about team, and this will be a team come tournament time.

Reaction Score
Good thoughts from everyone. I would like to see a little more emphasis on defense to completely shut down scoring especially from high scoring players. I remember games where MoJet would stick to one of the opposing teams best players like glue and really limited their game performance. I expect over time, Geno and coaches will get that message across.

Let us remember that all we have seen is two games with lots of promise. When these guys really are on the floor in real time, the excellence will come. I am just very impressed and encouraged. One person said that this was the best recruiting class, and I tend to agree with that thinking. A lot of us remember when the bench came in to play, all scoring would stop. Not now. Each person really contributes a lot. Wait till Autumn starts scoring.

Reaction Score
Geno has a lot of players. Geno, historically, doesn't use a lot of players. So, what's going to happen with all these folks? If history instructs, Coach will use 5-6 and maybe 7. His current starting 5 reflects his usual thinking. Evina is there for her experience and hopefully her scoring. Liv and Christyn are unavoidable because they have what others lack: size for Liv and scoring for Williams.

But of the two best players on the team, only Buckets is starting (“With the ball in Paige's hands, we're OK.”) The second best player is Aaliyah Edwards; she has to play a lot (think: Jackie Young).

If Evina doesn't start to score in double figures, she may have to sit. Let her spell Paige instead of using Nika in that role, as Muhl is, so far, a net negative (no score; many turnovers). Aaliyah gives you all sorts of things that Evina does not: rebounding, scoring, a large presence. Sooner or later she will be a fixture in the starting 5.

Geno also prefers “versatility” to role players. Next season, when Azzi arrives, I'm guessing we'll see just two guards (Fudd and Buckets can both score), so Williams may get bumped. We have some big bodies coming in to play forward, which may also reduce Ania's court time. With Liv and Edwards plus two authentic forwards, we may have one of our best team evah.

Re: Seton Hall: you saw what Paige can do when necessary. She can take over a game, put up points, get everyone hustling. We're so lucky she loves us almost as much as we love her.

Reaction Score
Good thoughts from everyone. I would like to see a little more emphasis on defense to completely shut down scoring especially from high scoring players. I remember games where MoJet would stick to one of the opposing teams best players like glue and really limited their game performance. I expect over time, Geno and coaches will get that message across.

Let us remember that all we have seen is two games with lots of promise. When these guys really are on the floor in real time, the excellence will come. I am just very impressed and encouraged. One person said that this was the best recruiting class, and I tend to agree with that thinking. A lot of us remember when the bench came in to play, all scoring would stop. Not now. Each person really contributes a lot. Wait till Autumn starts scoring.
Good point here! The Defense was not that good against S. Hall, well, maybe just against one player. Defense does take a while to develop, especially for those freshman, so we will see. I will hope that PB does a little better job keeping the guard in front of her in the coming weeks and months.

But did you notice the length we have on D? We must have grabbed a half dozen passes out of mid-air..I remember PB and AM getting a few.

arch

Reaction Score
Maybe he will, but for now:
Geno, “..hands up, HANDS UP, HANDS UP, HANDS UP.......”
Me, “... hands up, freaking HANDS UP, HANDS UP PLEEEEEEASE HANDS UP....”
Wife, “...for god sakes put your hands down, sit down and be quiet or I’m turning on ‘Wheel of Fortune’”

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Geno has a lot of players. Geno, historically, doesn't use a lot of players. So, what's going to happen with all these folks? If history instructs, Coach will use 5-6 and maybe 7. His current starting 5 reflects his usual thinking. Evina is there for her experience and hopefully her scoring. Liv and Christyn are unavoidable because they have what others lack: size for Liv and scoring for Williams.

But of the two best players on the team, only Buckets is starting (“With the ball in Paige's hands, we're OK.”) The second best player is Aaliyah Edwards; she has to play a lot (think: Jackie Young).

If Evina doesn't start to score in double figures, she may have to sit. Let her spell Paige instead of using Nika in that role, as Muhl is, so far, a net negative (no score; many turnovers). Aaliyah gives you all sorts of things that Evina does not: rebounding, scoring, a large presence. Sooner or later she will be a fixture in the starting 5.

Geno also prefers “versatility” to role players. Next season, when Azzi arrives, I'm guessing we'll see just two guards (Fudd and Buckets can both score), so Williams may get bumped. We have some big bodies coming in to play forward, which may also reduce Ania's court time. With Liv and Edwards plus two authentic forwards, we may have one of our best team evah.

Re: Seton Hall: you saw what Paige can do when necessary. She can take over a game, put up points, get everyone hustling. We're so lucky she loves us almost as much as we love her.

Edwards perfectly fits the bill of being a big body off the bench providing a spark. She's a freshman and will likely have some ups and downs despite a great first 2 games. I dont see her starting until at least next year, and that isn't a given IMO. It is also very early to conclude she's the second best player.

Westbrook's numbers will go up as the season unfolds. She has experience and as long as she plays smart and efficient, she'll keep her starting spot. Makurat too. Bulk of the shots are likely going to go to ONO, Williams and Bueckers so the others on the court need to fill their role well, that being knocking down open looks, being unselfish passers and playing within the system. Westbrook is likely capable of joining those 3 as well as a primary scorer. But you don't need your 5 best scorers in the starting 5...you need the best combination of players.

Next year Fudd will have a very difficult time cracking the starting 5, especially if everyone is back and Edwards can produce well against better teams. It'll be Geno's biggest roster ever and he has a plethora of excellent guards and wings, so I dont see a freshman getting the starting nod.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't know if Azzi will be in the starting lineup or not next year, but I expect her to make far more shots than she misses and be one of our top 3-4 scorers.

Reaction Score
Edwards perfectly fits the bill of being a big body off the bench providing a spark. She's a freshman and will likely have some ups and downs despite a great first 2 games. I dont see her starting until at least next year, and that isn't a given IMO. It is also very early to conclude she's the second best player.

Westbrook's numbers will go up as the season unfolds. She has experience and as long as she plays smart and efficient, she'll keep her starting spot. Makurat too. Bulk of the shots are likely going to go to ONO, Williams and Bueckers so the others on the court need to fill their role well, that being knocking down open looks, being unselfish passers and playing within the system. Westbrook is likely capable of joining those 3 as well as a primary scorer. But you don't need your 5 best scorers in the starting 5...you need the best combination of players.

Next year Fudd will have a very difficult time cracking the starting 5, especially if everyone is back and Edwards can produce well against better teams. It'll be Geno's biggest roster ever and he has a plethora of excellent guards and wings, so I dont see a freshman getting the starting nod.

A lot of people said that about Paige this year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
A lot of people said that about Paige this year.

It's definitely possible, I just don't think it is likely. I can't remember the last time Geno benched a "glue player" upperclassman like Makurat in favor of a freshman. More realistically I see her being an impact player off the bench and being a primary backup for the guards/wings ahead of Griffin on the depth chart.

I am one who didn't expect Paige to start from day 1, but her competition for the PG spot was another first year Huskie in Westbrook, and Paige looks to be cut and dry a better PG than Evina. Maybe the same will be true for Fudd when she comes next year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Geno has a lot of players. Geno, historically, doesn't use a lot of players. So, what's going to happen with all these folks? If history instructs, Coach will use 5-6 and maybe 7....
RECENT HISTORY Geno has not used a lot of players due his not having a lot players, but as numerous threads posted by many of of the past year knowing what Geno has done in his entire history when he has Depth, 9 and 10 players regularly got over 10, 11 or 12 minutes per game. He has 9 players who can come in at any time and contribute, he will not only use 6/7 as he knows he needs all 9 and wants to develop them for the long haul. :)

Reaction Score

Clark is averaging over 24 shots per game, if Bueckers did that she would average 40pts a game!

Pao Pao is averaging 12pts, 3rbs, and 4asts, very good numbers but nowhere near as good as the production of Bueckers.

Van Lith is averaging very good scoring and rebounding numbers at 16pts and 7rbs, but she is also only averaging a mere 2ast per game as well.

All are very good players, but the completeness and efficiency of Bueckers puts her in a class by herself IMHO.

Reaction Score
Clark is averaging over 24 shots per game, if Bueckers did that she would average 40pts a game!

Pao Pao is averaging 12pts, 3rbs, and 4asts, very good numbers but nowhere near as good as the production of Bueckers.

Van Lith is averaging very good scoring and rebounding numbers at 16pts and 7rbs, but she is also only averaging a mere 2ast per game as well.

All are very good players, but the completeness and efficiency of Bueckers puts her in a class by herself IMHO.
Paige is averaging 34 minutes a game.
Paopao is averaging 23.
Van Lith is averaging 29.
Clark is averaging 33.

Context is important.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Paige is averaging 34 minutes a game.
Paopao is averaging 23.
Van Lith is averaging 29.
Clark is averaging 33.

Context is important.

Even more significant, no one has played a good team yet. You can't draw a lot of conclusions about "who is better than who" based on 2-5 games of stats playing against mediocre competition. And I wouldn't classify Oregon State or DePaul as quality competition based on their showings in those games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom