Geno's "Achilles'heel" | The Boneyard

Geno's "Achilles'heel"

Reaction Score
Let it be known that Geno is the greatest WBB coach ever. Had he chosen to coach MBB or Pros, he would have been very successful, no doubt.

His record since 2000 -01 is 15 wins versus 13 losses; in OT he has 2 w & 3 L Unfortunately the last 3 OT losses are recent and during critical games. Last year’s game Semi FF stopped a 111 win streak and the loss agt Stanford 11/17/14 stopped a 47 win streak. In retrospect the Stanford loss turn out to be very costly. Can you imagine the record could have been 111 + 48= 159!!! “We are spoiled fans.”

*denotes games where Geno didn’t foul a true 3 point shooter while ahead by 2 points.

** denotes a game where Geno following a time out, having enough time left on the clock to call a play with a chance to win and at the very least with little time left on the clock to go to another overtime. Instead he gave the ball to someone other than a steady hand like Kia Nurse who would have made a good pass or would have taken a shot with little time left on the clock.

GENO’S RECORD IN CLOSE GAMES

STARTING WITH SEASON 2000-01 THROUGH 2016-17

2000-01 2/1/01 agt Tenn loss 88-92

3/6/01 agt ND win 78-76

2001-02 none

2002-03 1/4/03 agt Tenn win in OT 63-62

4/6-03 agt Texas win 71-69

4/9/03 agt Tenn win 73-68 Final Four

2003-04 `12/7/03 agt USC win 72-69

1/3/04 agt Duke loss 67-68* at XL I was there crying

2/28/04 agt Villanova loss 56-59

3/8/04 agt Boston College loss 70-73

2004-05 12/1/04 agt South Florida win in OT 75-65

1/8/05 agt Tenn loss 67-68

3/26/05 agt Boston College loss 48-51

2005-06 1/16/06 agt LSU win 51-48

3/26/06 agt Georgia win 77-75

3/28/06 agt Duke loss 61-63 Charde missed last shot

2006-2007 2/3/07 agt Marquette win 52-48

2/11/07 agt LSU win 72-71

2007-08 2/5/08 agt Rutgers loss 71-73

3/1/08 agt DePaul win 77-76

2008-09 & 2009-10 NONE

2010-11 11/16/10 agt Baylor XL win 65-64

1/8/11 agt ND win 79-76

2011-12 2/18/12 agt St John loss 56-57 Kelly Farris missed last shot

2012-13 1/5/13 agt ND win 73-72

3/4/13 agt ND loss in OT 87-96

3/12/13 agt ND loss 59-61

2013-14 NONE

2014-15 11/17/14 agt Stanford loss in OT* 86-88 stopped a 47 win streak

2015-16 NONE

2016-17 11/14/16 agt Florida ST win 78-76

3/31/16 agt Miss St loss in OT** 64-66 Semi FF stopped a 111 win streak

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Obviously, you admire the methods of Napoleon.
What was his record, again?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let it be known that Geno is the greatest WBB coach ever. Had he chosen to coach MBB or Pros, he would have been very successful, no doubt.

His record since 2000 -01 is 15 wins versus 13 losses; in OT he has 2 w & 3 L Unfortunately the last 3 OT losses are recent and during critical games. Last year’s game Semi FF stopped a 111 win streak and the loss agt Stanford 11/17/14 stopped a 47 win streak. In retrospect the Stanford loss turn out to be very costly. Can you imagine the record could have been 111 + 48= 159!!! “We are spoiled fans.”

*denotes games where Geno didn’t foul a true 3 point shooter while ahead by 2 points.

** denotes a game where Geno following a time out, having enough time left on the clock to call a play with a chance to win and at the very least with little time left on the clock to go to another overtime. Instead he gave the ball to someone other than a steady hand like Kia Nurse who would have made a good pass or would have taken a shot with little time left on the clock.

GENO’S RECORD IN CLOSE GAMES

STARTING WITH SEASON 2000-01 THROUGH 2016-17

2000-01 2/1/01 agt Tenn loss 88-92

3/6/01 agt ND win 78-76

2001-02 none

2002-03 1/4/03 agt Tenn win in OT 63-62

4/6-03 agt Texas win 71-69

4/9/03 agt Tenn win 73-68 Final Four

2003-04 `12/7/03 agt USC win 72-69

1/3/04 agt Duke loss 67-68* at XL I was there crying

2/28/04 agt Villanova loss 56-59

3/8/04 agt Boston College loss 70-73

2004-05 12/1/04 agt South Florida win in OT 75-65

1/8/05 agt Tenn loss 67-68

3/26/05 agt Boston College loss 48-51

2005-06 1/16/06 agt LSU win 51-48

3/26/06 agt Georgia win 77-75

3/28/06 agt Duke loss 61-63 Charde missed last shot

2006-2007 2/3/07 agt Marquette win 52-48

2/11/07 agt LSU win 72-71

2007-08 2/5/08 agt Rutgers loss 71-73

3/1/08 agt DePaul win 77-76

2008-09 & 2009-10 NONE

2010-11 11/16/10 agt Baylor XL win 65-64

1/8/11 agt ND win 79-76

2011-12 2/18/12 agt St John loss 56-57 Kelly Farris missed last shot

2012-13 1/5/13 agt ND win 73-72

3/4/13 agt ND loss in OT 87-96

3/12/13 agt ND loss 59-61

2013-14 NONE

2014-15 11/17/14 agt Stanford loss in OT* 86-88 stopped a 47 win streak

2015-16 NONE

2016-17 11/14/16 agt Florida ST win 78-76

3/31/16 agt Miss St loss in OT** 64-66 Semi FF stopped a 111 win streak

You make some good points here. I suppose it is difficult to prepare and practice late game strategies when the team regularly enjoys an average MOV of 40 points or so.
But it must be done if perfection is your goal, IMO.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What Stats or hindsight doesn't tell you is did the players run the play that Geno and the Coaching staff designed for end of game situations. Did the players make smart decisions as time was running out.

Case in point, did Saniya run the play Geno designed or make a smart decision at the end of the Miss St game. I would bet almost anything that Saniya did not run the designed play or make a smart decision to drive to the basket with more then 11 seconds left in the game. That was not what Geno wanted at the time. If the team makes the Free Throws late in the game, team wins this game by approx 5 points.

Also instead of running set plays, Geno's system relies on players to react to what is happening on the court at the time. His system gives more flexibility to get the best shot possible. It's up to the players to make the correct decision and sometimes they don't. However, his system has enabled him to be the best coach in Women's Basketball and possibly the best in College Basketball regardless of Gender.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Perhaps the very fact that teams can get close to UConn at the end of regulation or to OT demonstrates that those teams are having a very good day and/or UConn is having a bad one. You really can't put this on Geno. He's not shooting, passing, rebounding or playing defense. He's coaching during the final minute of regulation and/or during the 5 minute OT how he did during the previous 40. When the other team is more motivated or shooting better, there's no sudden strategy that's going to change that. Did Geno "win" last year's FSU game when the final shot hit the rim and bounced off? Would he have "lost" it if it had gone in? Would he have "won" the MSU game if that shot had missed and UConn goes on to win in 2 OT?

BTW, calling the 2014 loss to Stanford "costly" is a bit of a stretch. It cost UConn absolutely nothing except a winning streak, while it gained them a psychological edge for that season. The whole winning streak fetish (not aiming this at you, Frenchy: it's all over the BY) is a bit weird. Geno himself is obviously uncomfortable with it and the only banners in Werth are NC ones.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A couple points on last season:
  • You left out UConn's 63-60 win at Tulane
  • A number of games were close heading into the 4th qtr when UConn pulled away including: Baylor, ND & SC.
The one memorial loss was against Tenn (I think) The final play was for Sveta to go the length of the floor and score; Tamika was there to rebound, at the last second a surprised Tamika got a pass from Sveta and fumble the ball--time expired. Great play , poor execution. I can't think of another shoot Sveta passed up taking.
Geno got into so many games where his team was either neck to neck or behind at the half--after half time--zoooom Uconn pulls away. He did that so often I was some time surprised when he failed to win.
Tulane was a great game. Both for Uconn and the big T. close. How about the MD game--squeak.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
]

Naps record was fair to pretty until he took on Russia in the winter (sounds familiar, huh?).
Actually, Napoleon invaded Russia in June of 1812, but his armies got bogged down until the onset of winter and then it was “holy merde” from there on.

Reaction Score
Perhaps the very fact that teams can get close to UConn at the end of regulation or to OT demonstrates that those teams are having a very good day and/or UConn is having a bad one. You really can't put this on Geno. He's not shooting, passing, rebounding or playing defense. He's coaching during the final minute of regulation and/or during the 5 minute OT how he did during the previous 40. When the other team is more motivated or shooting better, there's no sudden strategy that's going to change that. Did Geno "win" last year's FSU game when the final shot hit the rim and bounced off? Would he have "lost" it if it had gone in? Would he have "won" the MSU game if that shot had missed and UConn goes on to win in 2 OT?

BTW, calling the 2014 loss to Stanford "costly" is a bit of a stretch. It cost UConn absolutely nothing except a winning streak, while it gained them a psychological edge for that season. The whole winning streak fetish (not aiming this at you, Frenchy: it's all over the BY) is a bit weird. Geno himself is obviously uncomfortable with it and the only banners in Werth are NC ones.

I don't do stats. Digging is work. But I tend to believe that most of those OT or close losses were due to short benches

Reaction Score
Actually, Napoleon invaded Russia in June of 1812, but his armies got bogged down until the onset of winter and then it was “holy merde” from there on.
Just like another we know or read about, huh? Almost as bad as the Frozen Chozen. The trudge back from Russia cost Zap much of his army. My point was the winter campaign was his undoing. Sacre Bleu as Dad would say. (I interpreted that as holy crap)
NAP--is what we called my uncle Napoleon--some times ZAP.

Reaction Score
The one memorial loss was against Tenn (I think) The final play was for Sveta to go the length of the floor and score; Tamika was there to rebound, at the last second a surprised Tamika got a pass from Sveta and fumble the ball--time expired. Great play , poor execution. I can't think of another shoot Sveta passed up taking.
Geno got into so many games where his team was either neck to neck or behind at the half--after half time--zoooom Uconn pulls away. He did that so often I was some time surprised when he failed to win.
Tulane was a great game. Both for Uconn and the big T. close. How about the MD game--squeak.
Geno has blamed himself for this loss because leading up to the game he had been berating Sveta for not passing the ball to the open shooter. So in her own inimitable way, this end-of-the-game moment was when Sveta decided to follow his instructions.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What Stats or hindsight doesn't tell you is did the players run the play that Geno and the Coaching staff designed for end of game situations. Did the players make smart decisions as time was running out.

Case in point, did Saniya run the play Geno designed or make a smart decision at the end of the Miss St game. I would bet almost anything that Saniya did not run the designed play or make a smart decision to drive to the basket with more then 11 seconds left in the game. That was not what Geno wanted at the time. If the team makes the Free Throws late in the game, team wins this game by approx 5 points.

Also instead of running set plays, Geno's system relies on players to react to what is happening on the court at the time. His system gives more flexibility to get the best shot possible. It's up to the players to make the correct decision and sometimes they don't. However, his system has enabled him to be the best coach in Women's Basketball and possibly the best in College Basketball regardless of Gender.
I think Geno was ok with Saniya trying to make a play. What he wasn't pleased with was the timing. It should have come with 3-5 seconds left. Saniya thought she saw an opening--she had made similar plays against Florida State and Maryland--and that thought overrode the need to hold the ball. That wasn't on Geno. To his credit, he didn't dump on Saniya.

Reaction Score
Geno has blamed himself for this loss because leading up to the game he had been berating Sveta for not passing the ball to the open shooter. So in her own inimitable way, this end-of-the-game moment was when Sveta decided to follow his instructions.
]\\

Just one more example of Geno protecting his kids. Sveta, screwed up, not Geno, the play was set. Geno in 2009 , long after this game, in an interview with Megan P .C. on CPTV took credit for 2 losses and this was not one of them. Sveta was a shooter, liked to shoot was loaded with personal confidence, the perfect person to take the shot. Obviously, because of the game time, was a poor judgement call. But Tamika was under the boards, with time, the better shot--but time was the factor. I knew then as now why Sveta took the shot, but the plan Geno had was for Sveta to take the shot. Groom the facts any way, twisted them and form them--the results tells all. BTY, Sveta was among my (then) 6 favorite Uconn W BB players.

Reaction Score
Perhaps the very fact that teams can get close to UConn at the end of regulation or to OT demonstrates that those teams are having a very good day and/or UConn is having a bad one. You really can't put this on Geno.

Huh, watch it again bags and you'll change your mind.

26.6 seconds left, plenty of time to draw up a play with an alternative play. The ball is inbounded to Gabby who is double or triple covered; somebody should be getting open. Gabby finally gets to Saniya who naturally starts to dribble. All her mates are standing completely flatfooted without a clue what to do. No one is cutting to the basket for a possible layup or foul. There is no movement. So Saniya is forced to try to make a play in coverage. Is this a play? Is Saniya the one you want shooting?

Hey c'mon, we all love Geno and know he's the best. But we have to recognize a blunder when we see one.

Reaction Score
]\\

Just one more example of Geno protecting his kids. Sveta, screwed up, not Geno, the play was set. Geno in 2009 , long after this game, in an interview with Megan P .C. on CPTV took credit for 2 losses and this was not one of them. Sveta was a shooter, liked to shoot was loaded with personal confidence, the perfect person to take the shot. Obviously, because of the game time, was a poor judgement call. But Tamika was under the boards, with time, the better shot--but time was the factor. I knew then as now why Sveta took the shot, but the plan Geno had was for Sveta to take the shot. Groom the facts any way, twisted them and form them--the results tells all. BTY, Sveta was among my (then) 6 favorite Uconn W BB players.
In the words of the master motivator, on page 278 of "Geno, In Pursuit of Perfection"

But what I remember most about that day is the morning of the game. I piss Svetlana off at shootaround. She is getting on my nerves, which she does a lot, and it costs us. I really rip into her at the shootaround and she's ticked off.
The game goes back and forth, one great shot after another, one great play after another. Randall makes an impossible shot for Tennessee, and we're down one with about 10 seconds left in the game.
We inbound the ball to Sveta, because I know she can get end line to end line in about four seconds. To my amazement, they let us inbound the ball to her. Sveta gets the ball and takes off. She's inside the circle. I've coached this girl for so many hours at this point that I can tell you that never--not once in a million years--would I expect her to pass up the shot.
But she does. She passes the ball. Tamika Williams, who is moving to go up for the offensive rebound, is startled by the pass, and can't handle it.
We lose the game by one point.
I'm convinced to this day that Sveta passed up that shot because she was pissed at me, or feeling insecure from what happened that morning, or had lost her confidence. I say to her after the game, "why did you pass the ball?" She says to me, in her Russian lilt. "Eh,, she was open." I say, "Stop. There have been people wide open your whole career and you never passed them the ball when you were open,, especially in that situation."
What can you say? You've got to live with it. I was okay with how it ended. We put the ball in our best player's hands, and the kid decided to pass. If she shoots and it goes in, we win. If she shoots and it doesn't go in, we lose.
It's like giving your quarterback the ball on fourth and 10 on the 20-yard line, and you need a touchdown to win. Whatever he's going to do, you've got to be okay with it, because you've given him the ball.
The best thing about Sveta is it is forgotten the next day. I have to give her a hard time. She knows that. It is part of this ongoing Russian-American war we are having.

Motivation. Did anyone else notice the brief sound clip before the Mississippi State game in which Gen said something like "of course we deserve to be here and we're going to win it all." A little too late to try to build up the confidence of his team after telling them all season long that it was only a matter of time before they would lose. I'd love to know what went on in the huddle before the fateful, final offensive play. Perhaps Justine Ward will ask Geno some tough questions in the first "Geno Auriemma Show." He did admit in an ESPN interview with Kevin Agandi that he should have done some things differently in the final game, such as upping the tempo rather than play at Mississippi State's pace. It will be a long time before I am "okay" with that semi-final game.

Reaction Score
That is the whole point, Uconn is not accustomed to play close games, specially OT. They practically went 2 years winning every game by Double Digit. Don't shoot the messenger to point out a weakness. We are mature enough to discuss in a family atmosphere area needing work. In the meantime lets enjou the best WBB available in the world!

Reaction Score
In the words of the master motivator, on page 278 of "Geno, In Pursuit of Perfection"

But what I remember most about that day is the morning of the game. I piss Svetlana off at shootaround. She is getting on my nerves, which she does a lot, and it costs us. I really rip into her at the shootaround and she's ticked off.
The game goes back and forth, one great shot after another, one great play after another. Randall makes an impossible shot for Tennessee, and we're down one with about 10 seconds left in the game.
We inbound the ball to Sveta, because I know she can get end line to end line in about four seconds. To my amazement, they let us inbound the ball to her. Sveta gets the ball and takes off. She's inside the circle. I've coached this girl for so many hours at this point that I can tell you that never--not once in a million years--would I expect her to pass up the shot.
But she does. She passes the ball. Tamika Williams, who is moving to go up for the offensive rebound, is startled by the pass, and can't handle it.
We lose the game by one point.
I'm convinced to this day that Sveta passed up that shot because she was pissed at me, or feeling insecure from what happened that morning, or had lost her confidence. I say to her after the game, "why did you pass the ball?" She says to me, in her Russian lilt. "Eh,, she was open." I say, "Stop. There have been people wide open your whole career and you never passed them the ball when you were open,, especially in that situation."
What can you say? You've got to live with it. I was okay with how it ended. We put the ball in our best player's hands, and the kid decided to pass. If she shoots and it goes in, we win. If she shoots and it doesn't go in, we lose.
It's like giving your quarterback the ball on fourth and 10 on the 20-yard line, and you need a touchdown to win. Whatever he's going to do, you've got to be okay with it, because you've given him the ball.
The best thing about Sveta is it is forgotten the next day. I have to give her a hard time. She knows that. It is part of this ongoing Russian-American war we are having.

Motivation. Did anyone else notice the brief sound clip before the Mississippi State game in which Gen said something like "of course we deserve to be here and we're going to win it all." A little too late to try to build up the confidence of his team after telling them all season long that it was only a matter of time before they would lose. I'd love to know what went on in the huddle before the fateful, final offensive play. Perhaps Justine Ward will ask Geno some tough questions in the first "Geno Auriemma Show." He did admit in an ESPN interview with Kevin Agandi that he should have done some things differently in the final game, such as upping the tempo rather than play at Mississippi State's pace. It will be a long time before I am "okay" with that semi-final game.

Just proves : Geno speaks or writes for the moment. Any words you want to use Geno has words for your discussion. Thanks for the info. Didn't read the book. Geno's kids in the after the game interview said that they tried to play the up pace Uconn game but Ms St controlled the game, stopped nearly every thing they usually did. I saw the interviews of Gabby, Kia, KLS, Collier.
I've posted repeatly --along with the 2 he listed in 2009, he should add last april.
Two sessions I would like to have attended: 1. The half game sparks and 2 . The after game antic's, after which Napheesa slipped and said she didn't start crying until she saw Geno Cry--immediately corrected that with; I didn't start crying until I saw me cry (huh?). Christine came out of the locker room behind Collier and looked like she aged 15 years or been in a physical brawl.

Reaction Score
I think what is missing from this discussion is the number of times UConn has been blown out in the last 15 years. How many times have they lost by 20 or more points or had games where they were not competitive in the last 10 minutes? All teams are going to some games, but having lost only close games doesn't seem to me to be a reflection of being unprepared for them. It is much more a measure of having been competitive nearly all the time and winning most of the time. The only way that the close games have statistical significance is if all games are close. That clearly isn't the case.

Reaction Score
I think what is missing from this discussion is the number of times UConn has been blown out in the last 15 years. How many times have they lost by 20 or more points or had games where they were not competitive in the last 10 minutes? All teams are going to some games, but having lost only close games doesn't seem to me to be a reflection of being unprepared for them. It is much more a measure of having been competitive nearly all the time and winning most of the time. The only way that the close games have statistical significance is if all games are close. That clearly isn't the case.
\

What you are missing is: Most Uconn fans see a loss by 2 as a severe beating, who needs 20 when 2 shall do?? Then there is the old saw: A 1 point loss is the same as 100 points, when you lose, you lose!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
That is the whole point, Uconn is not accustomed to play close games, specially OT. They practically went 2 years winning every game by Double Digit. Don't shoot the messenger to point out a weakness. We are mature enough to discuss in a family atmosphere area needing work. In the meantime lets enjou the best WBB available in the world!

I just don't see it. The only way we ever lose is in a close game. We never get blown out. The bottom line to me is this ends up being a complaint about losing not how we lose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom