Geno's 21-year coaching record- has anyone else approached this? | The Boneyard

Geno's 21-year coaching record- has anyone else approached this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
By way of another phenomenal piece of Geno trivia...

In 1993-1994, UConn's program really started to take off, posting a stellar 30-3 record. If you count that year and follow it to 2013-14 thus far, Geno's aggregate record for 21 seasons is 711-55. That' a 92.8% winning percentage.

Honest question: has any other head WCBB coach had a comparable record over a comparable length of time? I don't think even Pat, for all of her seven NCs in 21 years (eight in 22), went 711-55. I don't believe Leon Barmore has either.

If no one can name any other coach with that kind of track record, we can just use this thread to bask in how awesome Geno Auriemma is.

Reaction Score
As many of us already know, if you don't restrict this statistic to the 21 seasons you selected he has an overall career winning percentage of 86.8% which is currently tops for coaches with over 600 wins. It does not include the 2013-2014 season. Pretty incredible. But what remains to be determined is how many more years will he coach and what will his overall % be when he retires. CViv already has 34 years to Geno's 28. Pat had 38 years with an overall winning % of 84.1%.
Here is a LINK to the list of coaches with 600 wins or more.

Reaction Score
And, if he keeps winning, will catch up with Barmore for overall winning percentage early next season.

Reaction Score
By way of another phenomenal piece of Geno trivia...

In 1993-1994, UConn's program really started to take off, posting a stellar 30-3 record. If you count that year and follow it to 2013-14 thus far, Geno's aggregate record for 21 seasons is 711-55. That' a 92.8% winning percentage.

Honest question: has any other head WCBB coach had a comparable record over a comparable length of time? I don't think even Pat, for all of her seven NCs in 21 years (eight in 22), went 711-55. I don't believe Leon Barmore has either.

If no one can name any other coach with that kind of track record, we can just use this thread to bask in how awesome Geno Auriemma is.
A while back I had looked into his winning percentage once he got the program in gear and I used 1991 as the real start of the UConn program that America has seen over the last twenty some odd years. That was the year they made their first Final Four and started being able to recruit outside the immediate area. If you were to use 1991 as the starting point the winning percentage would probably be a smidgeon lower but still so much higher than any other coach in women's basketball history. I was reading some input from Tennessee fans recently who responded to an article pertaining to A'ja Wilson's recruiting and they still act like when you talk about great coaches there's PAT and no one else (including Geno) belong in the same discussion. The advantages that she had at Tennessee compared to the horrific disadvantages that Geno had to start with is unbelievable. If their careers had been completely reversed and Geno had taken over the Tennessee program at the time Pat did, the national championship trophy would probably be carrying his name and he would be easily approaching 20 titles and probably 1200 wins. Pat had a wonderful facility and the backing of her administration at a time when no other women's program had diddly while Geno took over a women's program that was entrenched in losing and facilities that Tennessee wouldn't use for an outhouse. In a appreciably shorter time he's done so much more and done it better and it eats up Tennessee fans. There is absolutely no comparison between the two though I concede Pat still deserves a lot of credit for keeping women's basketball from being a complete afterthought in the 80's and early 90's. Since UConn has arrived on the scene though, it seems there is so much more enthusiasm and interest in the game and most of that is due to UConn's emergence as a national power!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
. If you were to use 1991 as the starting point the winning percentage would probably be a smidgeon lower but still so much higher than any other coach in women's basketball history. I was reading some input from Tennessee fans recently who responded to an article pertaining to A'ja Wilson's recruiting and they still act like when you talk about great coaches there's PAT and no one else (including Geno) belong in the same discussion. The advantages that she had at Tennessee compared to the horrific disadvantages that Geno had to start with is unbelievable. If their careers had been completely reversed and Geno had taken over the Tennessee program at the time Pat did, the national championship trophy would probably be carrying his name and he would be easily approaching 20 titles and probably 1200 wins. Pat had a wonderful facility and the backing of her administration at a time when no other women's program had diddly while Geno took over a women's program that was entrenched in losing and facilities that Tennessee wouldn't use for an outhouse. !

And I, for one, bow to Tennessee fans, when it comes to expertise on outhouses...

Reaction Score
ahem.

Edited for accuracy.
Just to be clear, I meant that Geno will pass Barmore early next season if he continues to win every single game. If he continues to win at a 93% clip, it will take him until the end of next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom