geno | The Boneyard

geno

Reaction Score
How many pairs of glasses does Geno own LoL?
Do a poll. Lol. What does Geno have more of? Eyeglasses? Bottles of wine? Top recruits? Restaurants? NC’s? Victory’s over Tennessee? Lol

Reaction Score
Do a poll. Lol. What does Geno have more of? Eyeglasses? Bottles of wine? Top recruits? Restaurants? NC’s? Victory’s over Tennessee? Lol
Money on the wine vault

Reaction Score
Starting to look like Canollis

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was listening to Bob Joyce's post game radio today. During Geno's Zoom presser, he said during a recent practice he asked if anyone knew who Winston Chruchill was. 1 person raised their hand. Geno asked that person who was he? President they said. President of what asked Geno. The United States the person answered. :eek: After pausing for a moment, Geno told them who Chruchill was. The thing Geno wanted toto impart to them was something Churchill once said........"When you're going through hell, keep going."

Geno told them, right now, we're going through hell. He said when you go through hell, you don't go alone. The team is taking this journey together. When they come out on the other end.....and they will, they will be better for it. Adversity builds character. They will be a battle hardened, tough and grizzled bunch next year. You don't go through what this team has endured and it not affect you.

If nothing else, this team has learned a lot about itself, life and how to deal with it. They've learned (if they didn't already know) that life and sports are not always fair. I was drinking something when Geno revealed the person's answer as to who Churchill was. I almost spit it out. :confused: It's funny sometimes that us "mature" folks that take history and the people that were involved it for granted.

WW ll was 80 years ago. Some of our girls haven't turned 20 yet. I doubt if any of them remember the assault/attack on the World Trade Center in 2001. They probably have no idea what significance the NASA orbiter Challenger (1986) had in US space history either. I once read a newspaper article that revealed that during a survey of minor league baseball players, the majority of them did not know who Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente or Curt Flood were. These former players were pioneers in their own sport, and they had no clue. :confused: The team now knows who Winston Churchill was. :)

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My uncle flew in B17s during WWII. He crash landed once and was shot down over France. The only war story he ever told was that his crew flew Winston Churchill twice. He said that at the end of the flights Churchill gave cigars to all the crew members.

Reaction Score
I was listening to Bob Joyce's post game radio today. During Geno's Zoom presser, he said during a recent practice he asked if anyone knew who Winston Chruchill was. 1 person raised their hand. Geno asked that person who was he? President they said. President of what asked Geno. The United States the person answered. :eek: After pausing for a moment, Geno told them who Chruchill was. The thing Geno wanted toto impart to them was something Churchill once said........"When you're going through hell, keep going."

Geno told them, right now, we're going through hell. He said when you go through hell, you don't go alone. The team is taking this journey together. When they come out on the other end.....and they will, they will be better for it. Adversity builds character. They will be a battle hardened, tough and grizzled bunch next year. You don't go through what this team has endured and it not affect you.

If nothing else, this team has learned a lot about itself, life and how to deal with it. They've learned (if they didn't already know) that life and sports are not always fair. I was drinking something when Geno revealed the person's answer as to who Churchill was. I almost spit it out. :confused: It's funny sometimes that us "mature" folks that take history and the people that were involved it for granted.

WW ll was 80 years ago. Some of our girls haven't turned 20 yet. I doubt if any of them remember the assault/attack on the World Trade Center in 2001. They probably have no idea what significance the NASA orbiter Challenger (1986) had in US space history either. I once read a newspaper article that revealed that during a survey of minor league baseball players, the majority of them did not know who Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente or Curt Flood were. These former players were pioneers in their own sport, and they had no clue. :confused: The team now knows who Winston Churchill was. :)
Hell, I took it for granted that these kids had to take history classes in HS. I was wrong.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hell, I took it for granted that these kids had to take history classes in HS. I was wrong.
That was the funniest thing I’ve heard in a while. :)

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
You'll notice the Geno's eyeglass frames are all Nike - the prominence of the logo varies from pair to pair. I'm sure the company keeps sending him a steady supply of different styles all set to go with his prescription so he will wear them as part of Nike's marketing. It is an extremely competitive and really, really, really, really, really profitable business. The markups at every step of the supply chain are amazing. In the late '80s, I wrote the advertising for a frame company called Tura. They were not that big in Connecticut, but they were one of the largest brands nationally and actually requested by name in some markets. One of the goals was to try to convince consumers to take the fashion angle seriously so that they would purchase multiple pairs. We would advertise in books like Vogue and Glamour and supply them with frames for photo shoots because, well, lemmings have money. Anyway, Nike is trying to leverage their UConn relationship to move as much product as they can.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Just curious, did the cleaners go out of business with all of Geno's jackets or suits left in the store?

CD still dresses up for the games.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Enjoyed your post.

I always get a kick out of YouTube videos of Jay Leno's "Jay Walking" and related escapades.

"What's the capital of Chicago?"

Illinois!!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Just curious, did the cleaners go out of business with all of Geno's jackets or suits left in the store?

CD still dresses up for the games.
They are enjoying a "casual" year. Some coaches dress up, the Rutgers interim, the Georgia coach, etc. Watching a tape of NC State and Va Tech, coaches not dressed up.

I like some of the nicer outfits. I have heard some fans really don't like it. I don't actually care.

Reaction Score
What was current importance to us in school is now past history to today's youth. Heck the Viet Nam was was huge in my life but was 50+ years ago. The more important thing to these kids was the Gulf Wars as it and its aftermath affected their lives. There is only so much time to teach and you have to pick and chose a bit. I am surprised that Churchill didn't make the cut at least for that team member. Heck the chemistry taught in school is almost totally different from what I learned in school.

Reaction Score
What was current importance to us in school is now past history to today's youth. Heck the Viet Nam was was huge in my life but was 50+ years ago. The more important thing to these kids was the Gulf Wars as it and its aftermath affected their lives. There is only so much time to teach and you have to pick and chose a bit. I am surprised that Churchill didn't make the cut at least for that team member. Heck the chemistry taught in school is almost totally different from what I learned in school.
Like how to make meth?

Reaction Score
Please also add Monochromatic suits to poll.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How is it possible for someone to graduate from high school without knowing who Churchill was? What is taught in World History these days?
I know, right? It’s hard to believe these kids don’t know “the father of the Kentucky Derby”.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Churchill was the greatest figure of the Twentieth Century.

The UConn players are bright and intelligent. They would know about him if they were taught about him. But they obviously were not. Appalling.

Reaction Score
You'll notice the Geno's eyeglass frames are all Nike - the prominence of the logo varies from pair to pair. I'm sure the company keeps sending him a steady supply of different styles all set to go with his prescription so he will wear them as part of Nike's marketing. It is an extremely competitive and really, really, really, really, really profitable business. The markups at every step of the supply chain are amazing. In the late '80s, I wrote the advertising for a frame company called Tura. They were not that big in Connecticut, but they were one of the largest brands nationally and actually requested by name in some markets. One of the goals was to try to convince consumers to take the fashion angle seriously so that they would purchase multiple pairs. We would advertise in books like Vogue and Glamour and supply them with frames for photo shoots because, well, lemmings have money. Anyway, Nike is trying to leverage their UConn relationship to move as much product as they can.
Have you seen the episode of "Adam Ruins Everything" about glasses? It's worth a watch. It isn't really competitive because all those different companies are essentially one or two. It's a huge scam and frames should be WAYYYYY cheaper than they are.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom