Geno: "We Don't Do Enough 1-on-1" | The Boneyard

Geno: "We Don't Do Enough 1-on-1"

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If you haven't yet looked at the teaser for tomorrow night's "Geno Auriemma Show" (clipped in another thread), I suggest that you do it ASAP. It quotes Geno making (as usual) an astute point that may surprise some followers of UConn WBB. He uses Paige (in her "Coach P" role) as a willing foil -- Paige says what I suspect many long-time fans will be thinking as they react to Geno's statement.

His statement, while watching practice, is that UConn isn't doing enough one-on-one play -- that UConn players, if they see a play or a drive to the basket, should "just go". rather than trying to run set plays that they practice. The reason, Geno says, is that any play that you practice may work in November or December, but by March it isn't going to work. Other good teams, he implies, will learn to defend any set offense that he or any other coach might conceive or prepare. Therefore, successful offense in big games will be found by exploiting the natural talent of the players to beat their match-ups with individual skills.

When Geno said this (that UConn doesn't do enough 1-on-1), "Coach P" replied that it is because "we move the ball so much". Of course, that's true, but it's still November. I don't think Geno (of all people) wants to abandon crisp ball movement, but he wants to tilt the needle slightly away from that towards individual play. I think Geno's view on this subject may be very influenced by last year's NC game, where the South Carolina defense was jumping screens and anticipating UConn's movements because they had done their homework on UConn's offense.

Many Boneyarders disparage the NBA and WNBA for having too much individual play and too much reliance on "show time" athleticism of individual stars. These leagues certainly don't feature the Princeton offense, but the best teams still move the ball quite well on offense, and they get a number of backdoor layups and similar plays in every game. Pro players (especially in the W) aren't selfish, but they recognize that individual talent counts, and may count for more than clever passing.

I'm really glad that Geno isn't being dogmatic about the kind of offense that brought him 11 National Championships, and can see the need to change. It would be good for all of WCBB if all the coaches were so free of dogmatism and so ready to change their minds when the circumstances warrant that.

Reaction Score
I don't think this represents a change in his thinking, merely a reflection on the way each season progresses. The team learns the plays now, but also needs to learn when to "just go." It's always been a component of his offense.

It also says a lot about how much he values Nika's contribution, since she is not as creative as the other guards. There's something he thinks is really important about her game, even though it comes at the expense of having one less player who can "just go."

One thing you can see in some of the Jana videos is that she can "just go." She doesn't need a play to get her shot.

I also love how Paige is like a "colleague" in practice with him. I bet he loves it too.

sun

Reaction Score
Watched some new NCAA highlights and some guards dribble along the baseline and make creative layups on either side of the basket from underneath.
Very rarely if ever does UConn have any players even attempt that, yet they're doing it on other teams when the opportunity arises.
Also UConn players hardly ever put up any type of hook shots.
There's been some stagnation of the offense over the years.
I'm not sure if it's the plays or the players.
But players should definitely make more creative plays on their own initiative within reason.
Geno's on the right track for wanting them to mix it up.
That might help to recruit more creative players too once they realize that UConn encourages them to improvise.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ive seen Nika "JUST GO" many times. She can take it to the basket if she wants. She DOES have the ability.

Azzi does too.....and from the little bit I have seen thus far, Ayanna isn't too shy about taking that direct route in either. :)

Reaction Score
Geno has already hinted that this team has an explosive offense and a not so solid defense. They may need to score 80 to beat a couple of teams. Several players showed an eagerness to drive and shoot. Quicker shots, more possessions. And a faster paced game. UConn has 3 perimeter players who think any open shot is a good shot. And luckily they are all great shooters.

Reaction Score
I don't think this represents a change in his thinking, merely a reflection on the way each season progresses. The team learns the plays now, but also needs to learn when to "just go." It's always been a component of his offense.

It also says a lot about how much he values Nika's contribution, since she is not as creative as the other guards. There's something he thinks is really important about her game, even though it comes at the expense of having one less player who can "just go."

One thing you can see in some of the Jana videos is that she can "just go." She doesn't need a play to get her shot.

I also love how Paige is like a "colleague" in practice with him. I bet he loves it too.
Sorry, against Kutztown, I saw Nika "just go" several times, eh?

Reaction Score
Sorry, against Kutztown, I saw Nika "just go" several times, eh?
Bear in mind that Geno’s not talking about layups on runouts. Nika’s always been great at those. He’s taking about players who can “just go” in the half court set, who can breakdown a defender one-on-one when they see there’s no help defender available.

That said, I was especially pleased by a pull up jump shot she took. And she drove the lane a couple times, even made one of those. This is a development I’ve been hoping to see, for reasons that have been discussed at great length in many threads over the summer. The previous two years, she took hardly any shots in the half court set. Most of her offense in the half court came from wide open 3 point shots. That she seems now more willing to do this is huge in my book. Azzi Caroline Lou, even Aubrey and Ayanna, are a constant threat to “just go.” The more Nika develops this side of her game the better.

After Nika’s pull up jump shot, the next possession she drove into the lane and the defense collapsed on her and she found Azzi for a wide open 3 pointer. This represents a new wrinkle to her game and makes her a better pg.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uconn doesn't have any 1 on 1 players who can isolate, except Paige, who's hurt, and even when she does isolation, she's a willing passer if you cut or roll to the basket. But that will change next year IMP because when you watch Ashlyn and KK play they can both create their own shot and get anywhere on the floor, especially KK. So the offense should be more balanced and putting Paige and Azzi with those 2 with Ice and The New Girl from Egypt Uconn will be a major problem next year, especially with all the good players who are graduating this year in the college game. I expect them to be the pre-season number 1 next year

Reaction Score
Uconn doesn't have any 1 on 1 players who can isolate, except Paige, who's hurt, and even when she does isolation, she's a willing passer if you cut or roll to the basket.
I’m with you on the second half of your comment. We will be awesome next year! But I don’t agree so much on this opening remark. Yes, Paige is super awesome at creating her own shot, and can take over a game if needed. There are too many examples of this to have to cite just one.

But Azzi and Caroline showed this same talent on many occasions last year. Still, I’d agree that so far Azzi has been less willing to do this as often as Caroline. I hope to see her do more of it now that her foot is not a problem.

And Lou is awesome at isolation plays and at creating an opening for her shot. This was a staple of hers at Fairfield and we saw her do it a few times already against Kutztown.

And Aubrey has always been good at slashing to the rim when she sees a opening. And we saw plenty of it against Kutztown. That’s how she thinks on offense.

From what we saw in that one game, Ayanna is likely to be this sort of player too.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think if you are going to be an elite 1-1 player, you learn those skills early and in a sense without coaching, It is more a state of mind and growing up wanting to "show out". Often those players are pretty self involved and not the best teammates and may be behind in fundamentals. It is a fine line to have the best mix of team first and 1-1. Geno I am sure weighs the team skills higher but of course it would be nice to have real MoJeff breakdown skills. Without Paige, not sure we have that but KK definitely does.

Reaction Score
I think if you are going to be an elite 1-1 player, you learn those skills early and in a sense without coaching, It is more a state of mind and growing up wanting to "show out". Often those players are pretty self involved and not the best teammates and may be behind in fundamentals. It is a fine line to have the best mix of team first and 1-1. Geno I am sure weighs the team skills higher but of course it would be nice to have real MoJeff breakdown skills. Without Paige, not sure we have that but KK definitely does.
I've always had the feeling that Geno discouraged 1-1. Moriah, Renee, Tiffany Hayes did some 1-1, expect others I'm forgetting. But, again, not much emphasis, and players like Gabby had to learn after getting to the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Holy cow! Welcome to the world of one-on-one, Geno. Where have you been?
Reminds me of the 2002 National Championship game against OK, when in crunch time Geno told Sue, Swin, and the others to spread the floor so Diana could go one-on-one. She scored, was fouled, and made the free throw. It gave UConn 3 points and the momentum, while Stacey Dales fouled out on the play. I was there.

Reaction Score
I've always had the feeling that Geno discouraged 1-1. Moriah, Renee, Tiffany Hayes did some 1-1, expect others I'm forgetting. But, again, not much emphasis, and players like Gabby had to learn after getting to the WNBA.
Players like DT, Maya, and Stewie all had many moments where give me the ball and I'll score.
It's not something new, just hasn't had players capable recently.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO there's a difference between having LITTLE OR NO OFFENSE (ie. Tennessee) and having your best players go 1 on 3, vs. taking advantage of matchup or simply "better player than them" opportunities. The first is not a recipe for success. I don't think it's that fans dislike the 1 on 1 per se - but when players drive in against 2 or 3 defenders and chuck up a shot just trying to draw the foul, that's not the kind of basketball i like to see.

I think/hope what Geno is talking about is taking advantage of opportunities when it's just 1 player between us and the basket, and the UCONN player knows she can drive and score - ie. blowing past the defender for a score or a score-and-1. That is something we definitely should do.

Reaction Score
Christyn and Evina were capable. This was Christyn's strength coming out of hs.
they were able but not effective Christyln always hesitated when in the lane like she was leery of contact so she either settled for an off-balance jumper or turned it over and therefore never reached her potential that she had coming out of High school , Evina should have come to Uconn as a freshman as she already had bad habits by the time she got here and was only semi-effective thus making her too inconsistent. But I enjoyed the journey while they were here.

Reaction Score
IMHO there's a difference between having LITTLE OR NO OFFENSE (ie. Tennessee) and having your best players go 1 on 3, vs. taking advantage of matchup or simply "better player than them" opportunities. The first is not a recipe for success. I don't think it's that fans dislike the 1 on 1 per se - but when players drive in against 2 or 3 defenders and chuck up a shot just trying to draw the foul, that's not the kind of basketball i like to see.

I think/hope what Geno is talking about is taking advantage of opportunities when it's just 1 player between us and the basket, and the UCONN player knows she can drive and score - ie. blowing past the defender for a score or a score-and-1. That is something we definitely should do.
Not suppose to "chuck it up"; someone's got to be open if driver is picked up. Kick it out.

Reaction Score
they were able but not effective Christyln always hesitated when in the lane like she was leery of contact so she either settled for an off-balance jumper or turned it over and therefore never reached her potential that she had coming out of High school , Evina should have come to Uconn as a freshman as she already had bad habits by the time she got here and was only semi-effective thus making her too inconsistent. But I enjoyed the journey while they were here.
I hear you, and I think you're right that they may not have lived up to their full potential here. For Christyn the problem wasn't so much being shy of contact -- she'd force contact on a drive lots of times. I loved watching her take the ball into the lane. But she was a streaky shooter. I think this was a source of ongoing frustration to her.

Evina was dynamite coming out of hs, but she suffered that knee injury -- and having to play at Rocky Top for two years. By the time she came to us, she had immense court savvy but may have lost a tiny bit of quickness on that knee. I loved her as a Husky. She knew how to play in the big moments. She rained down 3s on Stanford at just the right moment. Did it to Baylor too. And she could throw the long bomb as well as Paige. And Paige said she thought of Evina as the real team MVP.

Reaction Score
Caroline has this ability too to go 1-on-1, someone mentioned it along with Azzi. That game winner against DePaul is perfect example. Hurry up and get better Caroline! Hope she will play against Texas

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
NO NO NO. If you 're talking about the 2 minute clip, Geno is not talking about playing 1v1 basketball. He's talking about within the offense if the opportunity presents itself for a shot/drive/whatever....take it. The team does have a habit of running their offense (very well) it seems sometimes to just run offense. I think he wants them to realize they don't have to go through all of their options or wait for the perfect option.

If a player gets in a position where they can beat their defender....do it. If they get an open shot....take it. (And they are well trained on what shots are theirs.)

They can/do sometimes run 1v1's or a pick and roll, if they need a score. Particularly late in a close game or maybe coming out of a time-out. Geno will usually call those out. But in this instance he's talking about taking opportunities within the normal offensive schemes. Which includes if they get an opportunity before the defense sets up, there is no need to run an entire offensive set. Just...go!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
NO NO NO. If you 're talking about the 2 minute clip, Geno is not talking about playing 1v1 basketball. He's talking about within the offense if the opportunity presents itself for a shot/drive/whatever....take it. The team does have a habit of running their offense (very well) it seems sometimes to just run offense. I think he wants them to realize they don't have to go through all of their options or wait for the perfect option.

If a player gets in a position where they can beat their defender....do it. If they get an open shot....take it. (And they are well trained on what shots are theirs.)

They can/do sometimes run 1v1's or a pick and roll, if they need a score. Particularly late in a close game or maybe coming out of a time-out. Geno will usually call those out. But in this instance he's talking about taking opportunities within the normal offensive schemes. Which includes if they get an opportunity before the defense sets up, there is no need to run an entire offensive set. Just...go!
Thank you. For quite a while I though I was the only one who was interpreting Geno comments this way.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of the 2002 National Championship game against OK, when in crunch time Geno told Sue, Swin, and the others to spread the floor so Diana could go one-on-one. She scored, was fouled, and made the free throw. It gave UConn 3 points and the momentum, while Stacey Dales fouled out on the play. I was there.
Wow Stacy Dales was my favorite WBB colorist .. she and Kara Lawson were the best, most informative, combo, hands down! I wonder what she is doing now?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom