Geno wants WCBB to De-Emphasize the Three Pointer | The Boneyard

Geno wants WCBB to De-Emphasize the Three Pointer

Reaction Score
Geno makes a lot of good points in this interview. Basically, he said the women should have moved the line back, like the men just did. But the women's coaches voted against it -- because they know their best chance to beat the Huskies is to get hot from 3 pt land?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno makes a lot of good points in this interview. Basically, he said the women should have moved the line back, like the men just did. But the women's coaches voted against it -- because they know their best chance to beat the Huskies is to get hot from 3 pt land?
Hate to quibble slightly but I don't believe the article states the bolded part is the reason the coaches decided not to move the line. Most coaches hate change of any kind because it requires them to teach something new or make adjustments. As the article states this works greatly to Geno advantage because: " Of course, Auriemma has the luxury of knowing that his team can probably adapt to these proposals better than his opponents."
In a prior set of NCAA rules tweeks during Bria Hartley's senior year the refs started placing more emphasis on hand checking and displacing cutters in the lane. All Geno and CD did was began teaching to the new rules which resulted in UCONN leading the nation in fewest fouls committed for the first three years the rules were in place.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hate to say it but the 3 pt shooting at the current distance in WCBB is nowhere near efficient enough to push the line out further. With not enough shooters that can be a threat at the larger distance, the game will be further compressed into the middle. In time, with evolution of the game, maybe ...

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
"You are who you are" to alter slightly what a coach once said. I don't doubt that a 3 point shooting team will use that to try and beat their opponents - and will presumably remain a relatively good 3 point shooting team if the line is moved - but it doesn't impact playing UConn. Rutgers (while not as bad at it as their fans seem to think) has never depended on the 3 point shot with any reliability - and surely back when we were good and actually managed a few wins against UConn we didn't use it to do so. It would only work if you were good at it.

And the number of coaches who play UConn - and are concerned with how they might defeat them - is not enough to sway any imaginable vote. So I'm hoping you were joshing.

Reaction Score
Hate to say it but the 3 pt shooting at the current distance in WCBB is nowhere near efficient enough to push the line out further. With not enough shooters that can be a threat at the larger distance, the game will be further compressed into the middle. In time, with evolution of the game, maybe ...
I’ve often wondered if this is because of the strength of the players/distance of the 3pt line, improper shooting mechanics that are never corrected, or a combination of factors that may or may not be modifiable.

I really don’t see much of a difference between the arguments to lower the rim and keep the 3pt line closer for women. In either situation, it’s making something shorter with the idea that it will make it easier for women to score/play more similarly to men.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The women already have a compensating advantage in the size of the ball which is 1 inch smaller and two ounces lighter. I will favor any rule change that promotes team work and athleticism as factors for victory. I much more enjoy a well run offense as opposed to a typical drive to the lane, let the defense collapse and kick out for a wide open 3. For me, 3 pointers don't excite me unless they are made under duress. Being able to hit a wide open 3 is more a function of repetitive practice then athletic ability and is boring basketball. For me, I love to see the hard cut of a tight screen, a full speed slash, handling a threaded pass, and powering through the defense for a tough layup.

I'm also fully aware the 3 pointer does broaden the number of players who will engage in the game. KML was a delightful lady to watch perform, but I wonder if I would have seen her play without the 3 point shot rule.

(and perhaps my views were based on the fact that I had no outside game and was a slasher myself :()

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Kinda weird to see these remarks from Geno considering UCONN is almost always a heavy 3pt shooting team with three, four or five starters who can shoot a high percentage from deep. Perimeter shooting has made basketball far more entertaining than it was before and also opens up more opportunity for better spacing, ball movement and strategy. A lot of the upsets by mid majors and smaller teams wouldnt happen if they didnt rely on 3 point shooting. I think it is great for the game personally.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I agree with all of Geno's suggestions. I'd add widening the lane like in Europe. There will still be plenty of 3s made by good shooters who have no problem making 3s when they get to the WNBA. The floor will be better spaced, the game more free-flowing. He's right; it will happen in a year or two.

Reaction Score
I’ve often wondered if this is because of the strength of the players/distance of the 3pt line, improper shooting mechanics that are never corrected, or a combination of factors that may or may not be modifiable.

I really don’t see much of a difference between the arguments to lower the rim and keep the 3pt line closer for women. In either situation, it’s making something shorter with the idea that it will make it easier for women to score/play more similarly to men.
I always thought that the men’s game would be greatly improved by raising the rim a foot. It is rather silly for often gigantic men to be playing with dimensions created for scrawny middle schoolers 125 years ago.

Reaction Score
Obviously at out level it's all an opinion. Geno WAY back when was a proponent of the 3ball and emphasized it himself. To him then it was an efficient use of the shot---getting 3 rather than 2, fewer shots to make the same points Geno said words to that effect.
Now, I agree with the CURRENT Geno (he evolves (some think him rigid, he ain't) move the line back allow the players to use strategics to get 2 shot. Geno has from DAY 1 believed in the fast break, run and score using defense and this is classic Geno, with a change in his view of the 3 ball. He loves the fast game probably because it has won so many games for him.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I always thought that the men’s game would be greatly improved by raising the rim a foot. It is rather silly for often gigantic men to be playing with dimensions created for scrawny middle schoolers 125 years ago.
I was going to give a similar opinion but didn't because we are talking WCBB. But the ice has been broken so...I think that the men's basket for the NCAA, Pro Leagues and Olympic level competition (basically after HS), I would like to see it raised to 12 1/2 or 13 feet. Or at least a height where anyone under 6'9 has difficulty dunking the ball.
But I am prejudiced here...I haven't watched men's basketball games, including HS Top 20 team type games, ever since it seems as though the rules were thrown out and 75% of the players were dunking. Thus my many references on this forum to the Not Basketball Anymore league.

As far as WCBB goes, I would also prefer no changes to the current game.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I'm surprised the men haven't gone to four quarters with the same free throw rules as the women. I loved that change! Created exciting end of the quarter opportunities, the free throw rule is better, etc. Plus, every other league is four quarters instead of 20 minute halves, so it's weird that the men are still using the old rules.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I like the 1 and 1, in fact, the old 1 and 1 was even better. As a behind the basket free throw distractor at MBB games, 1 and 1's are the most fun.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm a huge fan of the 3 point line. UCONN players routinely hit from deeper, especially Danger. But I don't see any reason to change it. I do think creating a trapezoid 3 second area (making it larger like international) and pushing out the legal "taking charges" zone is a good idea. Create more flow and higher scoring games, and stop floppers from controlling games.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
USA Basketball recommends the FIBA 3-point line for youth basketball grades 9-12. In FIBA U-16, U17, U18 and U19 events the 3-point line is, of course, the FIBA 3-point line. The kids who play USA Basketball seem to do okay. WCBB is the outlier here. It makes no sense.

Reaction Score
There should be one 3-point line for men and women and it should be the same line used in international play. Simple.
No attack here Plebe just a good spot to ask a question of all. How many think the men and women should play with the same size ball???

Reaction Score
There should be one 3-point line for men and women and it should be the same line used in international play. Simple.
The thing is that the men were the ones that changed it. If it is to be the same for everyone shouldn't the men have also gotten the women's approval before changing it?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The thing is that the men were the ones that changed it. If it is to be the same for everyone shouldn't the men have also gotten the women's approval before changing it?
I don't know how the decision-making process should have worked. I'm just saying that the change makes good sense for convergence with FIBA standards, and now we'll have the unsightly view of dueling 3-point lines to remind us, all season long, of the WCBB committee's failure to heed good sense.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Not sure what you mean by "it." The rules committee for MCBB changed the men's 3-point line to the FIBA distance. The rules committee for WCBB did not make a similar change. There will now be two 3-point lines on college basketball courts.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean by "it." The rules committee for MCBB changed the men's 3-point line to the FIBA distance. The rules committee for WCBB did not make a similar change. There will now be two 3-point lines on college basketball courts.

I wonder if their refusal to "go along" is partly based on not wanting to be seen as "following the men".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom