Geno vs. Pat | The Boneyard

Geno vs. Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No, not the coaches. More importantly, Wheel of Fortune is in Philadelphia and in the intro showed the fronts of these two immortal steak sandwich restaurants, forever in competition.
pats-philly-cheesesteaks-health-code-violationsjpg-926c359210b83cd4.jpg
genos-steaks-east-passyunk-philadelphia-920vp.jpg

Reaction Score
Geno's looks better, however Pat's does have that nice picnic table out front.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Neither has the best steaks in Philly. It's been a while but Tony Luke's and Jim's gets my vote. Better than a cheese steak is a wet roast beef or roast pork from Nick's. Served with a 2 inch pile of napkins and an attitude.

Reaction Score
But really, it pains me to say it, but Mike's beats Geno's; not sure it beats Pats. Been too long....
mike-s-taste-of-philly.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
IIRC when the final 4 was in Philly, they did a thing on it. Not sure whose is better, but it would be fun to check them both out - several times!!
Yep, the 2000 Final Four telecast ran videos of Pat's and Geno's.

I agree about the wet roast beef, which is available a number of places. My personal favorite? Pizza steak--steak, pizza sauce, melted provolone on a toasted hoagie roll. Perfection!

348s.jpg

Reaction Score
And my fav is none of the above, but an Imperial (or maybe a Cheltenham) at
ls.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
wp-cheesesteak%20ctr-clipped.png

Pat's and Geno's are both good but Jim's on South Street is my vote. Go upstairs grab a table and watch people walk by on South Street.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
wp-cheesesteak%20ctr-clipped.png

Pat's and Geno's are both good but Jim's on South Street is my vote. Go upstairs grab a table watch and watch people walk by on South Street.
I moved to Philly, so I never got used to the grilled onions (which are rather standard). That one pictured has the melted Cheez Whiz.

Dammit, I'm getting hungry! ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
and how about a shout out for Lou's on Main Street, in Norristown, where Geno did hang out... View attachment 15199
I grew up three blocks from Lou's on Moore St. In case anyone is wondering a Zep has thick cut salami, mild provolone, no lettuce. Tomatoes and lots of fresh thick sliced onions, dressed in oil and oregano. The bread must be fresh from Conshohocken Bakery. Now I know exactly what I'm having for lunch.
20120106-ASAD-zep-eves-lunch-norristown-pa-detail.jpg

Reaction Score
And for those who don't know what the term Zep comes from, I was always told it was from the German "blimp" Graf Zepplin. Doing a little googling, I see that that is probably true. This is a fascinating (if cardiac-event producing food is fascinating to you, which, alas, it is to me) account of the various names for this dangerously delicious "sandwich":
http://www.verbatimmag.com/28_3.pdf

Reaction Score
I just had hospital food for 5 long days and I came to this thread! Thanks guys,I will remember this! Especially you Philly People! I Love New York,LOL!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I just had hospital food for 5 long days and I came to this thread! Thanks guys,I will remember this! Especially you Philly People! I Love New York,LOL!

Me too. Five loooong days in the hospital CCU for the first week of the Olympics. Not only did the food suck (I was on a restricted diet) but I missed the early basketball games.

Sadly, I don't see many cheese steaks in my immediate future.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Me too. Five loooong days in the hospital CCU for the first week of the Olympics. Not only did the food suck (I was on a restricted diet) but I missed the early basketball games.

Sadly, I don't see many cheese steaks in my immediate future.
Sorry to hear it. I hope you both are feeling better.

@vtcwbuff - moderation in all things, my friend. Cut a two inch slice out of it and eat it with a salad.

Reaction Score
No, not the coaches. More importantly, Wheel of Fortune is in Philadelphia and in the intro showed the fronts of these two immortal steak sandwich restaurants, forever in competition. View attachment 15194 View attachment 15195

Geno's always got my business---what amazes me is the attention these to "stands" get while a few yards down the street is the best Italian Market in the USA--great food, great produce, good Italian cheeses and bread and meats. Italian chefs from across the country came here for utensils and food.
I had woman in one of my classes in OKLA and she was going back to Philly. I asked her to stop by and get me some cheese at the market--I couldn't remember the name and said if it smell ed strong get it.
She came back and announced she brought me some "stinky cheese". But it was great.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear it. I hope you both are feeling better.

@vtcwbuff - moderation in all things, my friend. Cut a two inch slice out of it and eat it with a salad.
My last trip to the Horsepistol I freakin near died from the louzy food. In 4 days I ate less than one meal--bad drinks, food tasted so bad it was inedible. You have my condolence--and understanding.

Reaction Score
I grew up three blocks from Lou's on Moore St. In case anyone is wondering a Zep has thick cut salami, mild provolone, no lettuce. Tomatoes and lots of fresh thick sliced onions, dressed in oil and oregano. The bread must be fresh from Conshohocken Bakery. Now I know exactly what I'm having for lunch.
20120106-ASAD-zep-eves-lunch-norristown-pa-detail.jpg
[/QUOTEN

Now that's a san--which!! Who needs lettuce, if youse wan a san which you don't buy a salad.

Reaction Score
Damn, I hope everyone on the Boneyard gets healthy. We have a new season coming up soon!
I'm hoping the team gets healthy. KLS, Collier, Kyla, Crystal Dangerfield... you'd think surviving the summer would be the easy part!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Never Geno's. Never.

Bad sandwich. Bad attitude. Bad-in-my-opinion politics (which I wouldn't care about but the place is so in your face about their nativist politics).

A good sandwich would make it possible to let the other two slide. Geno's was nowhere near a good sandwich.

Reaction Score
Never Geno's. Never.

Bad sandwich. Bad attitude. Bad-in-my-opinion politics (which I wouldn't care about but the place is so in your face about their nativist politics).

A good sandwich would make it possible to let the other two slide. Geno's was nowhere near a good sandwich.
Right, but I think the son who's taken over since the dad died, is working hard to walk back the nativist politics.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I haven't been to Geno's in years but I don't remember any "nativist politics" when I was last there. That said, it's understandable if you are familiar with the demographics in the south Philly neighborhoods. Lots of changes in the last 40 years.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Right, but I think the son who's taken over since the dad died, is working hard to walk back the nativist politics.

Well, that's good news :)

Hopefully, too, he's working on the quality of the sandwiches :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom