Geno use 7 players a reason for USA loss ... | The Boneyard

Geno use 7 players a reason for USA loss ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“They have an excellent team and I think they played very consistently for the entire 40 minutes,” said Geno Auriemma, 2009-12 USA National Team and University of Connecticut head coach. “They didn’t have ups and downs. We played really well at times and not so well at times. We were more up and down and they played steady the whole game. They’re a very, very good team and they played really, really well. It’s difficult for us. We only have seven players and it’s not always easy.”

This is from the same guy who says at the collegiate level he prefers to play 7 maybe 8 players at most in a rotation.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
“It’s difficult for us. We only have seven players and it’s not always easy.”

This is from the same guy who says at the collegiate level he prefers to play 7 maybe 8 players at most in a rotation.

The operable word is prefers. Scrimmage in practice with ten or more players suiting up. Play your best 7 or 8 in competitive games. He was forced to play 7 in Europe, he would have preferred to have the option of playing his best 7 or 8 (and with one of them named Diana and another named Sue, not to mention Seimone and Maya).

Reaction Score
The operable word is prefers. Scrimmage in practice with ten or more players suiting up. Play your best 7 or 8 in competitive games. He was forced to play 7 in Europe, he would have preferred to have the option of playing his best 7 or 8 (and with one of them named Diana and another named Sue, not to mention Seimone and Maya).

IMHO, the seven players that he does have aren't what you would call "Toss Salad!"

Peace,

John Fryer

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Well, I guess I can see how you could say that Geno was using the 7 players for the reason the US lost -- as opposed to say, giving the other team's play credit or identifying the flaws in how his team played.

But I'll await your follow-up post that identifies all the times that Geno has said "he prefers to play 7 maybe 8 players at most in a rotation."

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If USA Basketball did not have a college coach as the Head Coach, the practice schedule would have been later in October or possibly early November. Geno was only available in the first part of October, any later in the month would have conflicted with his duties with UConn. Also couldn't hold the practices any earlier due to the WNBA season and late November would interfere with the players overseas commitments. It was a no win situation for USA Basketball and they scheduled games against real pro teams that have played together, even winning league championships. I'm not surprised they lost games, since they had a limited roster.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
“They have an excellent team and I think they played very consistently for the entire 40 minutes,” said Geno Auriemma, 2009-12 USA National Team and University of Connecticut head coach. “They didn’t have ups and downs. We played really well at times and not so well at times. We were more up and down and they played steady the whole game. They’re a very, very good team and they played really, really well. It’s difficult for us. We only have seven players and it’s not always easy.”

Yep, you got him. Caught him in a lie. At least a contradiction from a prior statement.

Good job!

Reaction Score
Yep, you got him. Caught him in a lie. At least a contradiction from a prior statement.

Good job!
In college there is a big dropoff from the top 7 or 8 players, i.e (prefers to play 7 or 8. On USA team there is little or no
dropoff from that inferred 7 or 8 players.When you always tell the truth , you get critisized but liar is not in his personality

Reaction Score
Well, I guess I can see how you could say that Geno was using the 7 players for the reason the US lost -- as opposed to say, giving the other team's play credit or identifying the flaws in how his team played.

But I'll await your follow-up post that identifies all the times that Geno has said "he prefers to play 7 maybe 8 players at most in a rotation."

Pretty cat in your avatar

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
In college there is a big dropoff from the top 7 or 8 players, i.e (prefers to play 7 or 8. On USA team there is little or no
dropoff from that inferred 7 or 8 players.When you always tell the truth , you get critisized but liar is not in his personality
Excellent points.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
dropoff from that inferred 7 or 8 players.

This is true and borne out by the minutes played in the world championships last year. The two most challenging and closely contested games for the USA in last year's world championships were the games against Australia and the Czech Republic. In the game against Australia every player on the roster played double digit minutes. Three players -- Bird (31), Taurasi (31) and Catchings (24) -- played more than 20 minutes. Interestingly, only 7 players played double digit minutes for Australia. Against the Czech Republic, 10 USA players played double digit minutes with Bird, Taurasi and Charles leading the way in minutes played. Only Whalen and Appel played single-digit minutes. So, Geno hasn't shown a preference for going 7-8 players deep when coaching a group of All-Stars on USA basketball.

Because Danielle Robinson left the USA to join her European team and Taurasi didn't join the team as expected, USA played the entire game with 2 guards (Cappie and Renee). That's tough to do against international competition.

Although Geno and USA basketball hate to lose, I think they'll look at this tour as important for several reasons, some of which involve Griner. First, it exposed Griner to international competition for the first time. I think she'll make the team so this was very important. Second, it gave Griner a chance to get to know the coaches and some players who will be her USA teammates next year and beyond. Third, it gave Tina and Griner a chance to play together which is likely to be an important post combination going forward. Finally, it gave Cappie an opportunity to get back in the good graces of USA basketball.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
If USA Basketball did not have a college coach as the Head Coach, the practice schedule would have been later in October or possibly early November.

Equally hard to schedule with a pro coach, as you noted, especially with players having to take some time off and/or joining their international teams.

It was earlier last year (beginning of Sept) because of the World Championships. More pressure for the players to attend. Nobody involved with USA BBall likes to lose, but they know what the goal is: gold in London. I'm sure the players and coaches and Committee are learning a ton.

Reaction Score
If USA Basketball did not have a college coach as the Head Coach, the practice schedule would have been later in October or possibly early November. Geno was only available in the first part of October, any later in the month would have conflicted with his duties with UConn. Also couldn't hold the practices any earlier due to the WNBA season and late November would interfere with the players overseas commitments. It was a no win situation for USA Basketball and they scheduled games against real pro teams that have played together, even winning league championships. I'm not surprised they lost games, since they had a limited roster.

that would of been difficult as well because most players also have european contracts and commitments, that would have been difficult to get out of.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
A big deal is being made by some over BS! As mentioned he had only 7 players and a # of KEY PLAYERS WERE NOT AVAILABLE TO participate. You have mentioned a # of players above who will be on the team. A headline of USA loses again makes for great copy,unless you know and then are objective about the situation Geno was faced with. The bottomline is that this is not the 12 women roster that will make up the Olympic Team. This is great experience for the 7 who are playing and there are ++s for Geno. The team that will ultimately represent us would beat up the 7 in Europe! So what is the real story?;) Those who do not know the situation and those who root for some school in TN are having a field day over NOTHING! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom