Geno to Coach National Team in Rio - 2016 | The Boneyard

Geno to Coach National Team in Rio - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Per Doug Feinberg tweet. He is the best coach for the job. As a UConn fan, I would prefer he not coach the National Team. It takes too much time away from recruiting for him and his staff. IMHO the coaching staff spent many hours on the National Team coaching and other concerns related to the National team.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Wow. I thought he wasn't going to do it again. He must have enjoyed it...at that point he might have Stewie and KML on the team!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
surprised-face-on-cat.png

Even Conspiracy Kitty did not see that coming.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Will he coach at the 2014 World Championships too???

There were some who suspected that the reason a new coach had not been named was because USA BB was trying to persuade Geno to do it again. Sounds like that's exactly what's been going on.

I was planning to start a thread on this topic today. ie., a year to go til the WCs and no Team USA Coach. Glad I didn't have to start the thread.

Reaction Score
And I think he probably waited to commit (if true) until his legal issues were laid to rest. Yes there may still be appeals going on but the original case was dismissed.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This confirms something that I think is critically true and has been since Pat Summit's retirement: Geno is THE face of WBB. It was really this moment that sealed it for me, and wanting Geno to be a two-time coach only reinforces that.

And yes, that's good for recruiting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One would think that any cost from the loss of time would be offset by the prestige of being America's WBB coach.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Per Doug Feinberg tweet. He is the best coach for the job. As a UConn fan, I would prefer he not coach the National Team. It takes too much time away from recruiting for him and his staff. IMHO the coaching staff spent many hours on the National Team coaching and other concerns related to the National team.

I don't understand your position. Geno was named the coach of Team USA on April 15, 2009 and since then he's won a couple of national championships and has been able to sign quite a few highly-touted recruits, including Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis, Bria Hartley, Kiah Stokes, Morgan Tuck, Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson, etc.

Reaction Score
My guess (and yes this is a joke) is that Geno couldn't resist the opportunity to finally get to coach Elena Delle Donne. ;)

Although, I am sure he will definitely enjoy the opportunity non-the-less.

Reaction Score
Ok, so who will be joining him?

Tina, Fowles, Angel, Maya, Parker, DT seem likely
with Augustus, Bird, Catchings, Whalen possible

Griner and EDD seem shoo-ins.

with players like Nneka, Sims, KML, TBS also contending

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This confirms something that I think is critically true and has been since Pat Summit's retirement: Geno is THE face of WBB. It was really this moment that sealed it for me, and wanting Geno to be a two-time coach only reinforces that.

And yes, that's good for recruiting.

I should have been clearer and say it isn't a negative in recruiting. Totally agree with you, Alex.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'll use as evidence the current roster size for the impact it has had on recruiting. The complete coaching staff since Geno was announced as the HC for the National Team has been involved with Camps, attending the Olympics and other duties related to the National Team for close to three years. Logic says it has to impact recruiting if hours normally spent recruiting or on other duties associated with UConn is spent on National Team concerns. There's a reason why last years recruiting class was only one player and I suppose its only a coincidence that it was the Olympic Year. Obviously many won't agree and that's okay.

I haven't seen one piece of evidence where his coaching the national team impacted recruiting.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'll use as evidence the current roster size for the impact it has had on recruiting. The complete coaching staff since Geno was announced as the HC for the National Team has been involved with Camps, attending the Olympics and other duties related to the National Team for close to three years. Logic says it has to impact recruiting if hours normally spent recruiting or on other duties associated with UConn is spent on National Team concerns. There's a reason why last years recruiting class was only one player and I suppose its only a coincidence that it was the Olympic Year. Obviously many won't agree and that's okay.

How do you then explain the Kelly Faris class which was before Geno was named Olympic coach? How about all the top-rated recruits Geno has signed since being named Olympic coach? Your logic is just not supported by the facts.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
AP Article -Link Auriemma had felt his Olympic duties took too much time from his coaching at Connecticut.

So much so that he won another National Championship right after spending the summer coaching USA Basketball to another Gold Medal. That's 2 national championships since being named coach of Team USA.

How anyone can be negative about this news is beyond me. It's tremendous for USA Basketball and it's an honor for Geno, his staff and the University of Connecticut particularly with so much negative stuff being said about the new conference.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen one piece of evidence where his coaching the national team impacted recruiting.
But but but Doggy - can't you agree that Geno mis-managed the team this year and that obviously was the result of his not spending enough time with them over the summer when he was doing the Olympic thing.

Seems we have some posters who are trying so so hard to replace Digger's PON threads though they don't even know it.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
So much so that he won another National Championship right after spending the summer coaching USA Basketball to another Gold Medal. That's 2 national championships since being named coach of Team USA.

How anyone can be negative about this news is beyond me. It's tremendous for USA Basketball and it's an honor for Geno, his staff and the University of Connecticut particularly with so much negative stuff being said about the new conference.

How can anyone believe that Geno would do it again if it hurt the team.

Reaction Score
How anyone can be negative about this news is beyond me. .

Cat, you haven't read enough from wbbfan1. Geno could hand him a million dollars and he would be concerned that it would have a bad impact on the program.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
It is a Great Honor for Geno & UConn and as I said in my first post in this thread, he is the BEST Coach for the Job.

However, its unrealistic to think that the hours/days spent on the National team is not impacting his responsibilities at UConn. I probably wouldn't even express an opinion except in 2012 the Complete Coaching Staff was involved with the National Team. Since its in the off season, that had to impact recruiting, no matter what many believe. Do I think that some of the elite recruits shied away from UConn because of the signing of Moriah, Stewie & Morgan, yes I do. However I'm also of the opinion that 100% effort was not spent on looking for other players because of the coaching staff's involvement with the National Team. Other schools that have rosters that are loaded are able to sign players while the Best Coach in WBB was unable to in 2012. There's no reason for a school like UConn to only have 9 players on scholarship even with the transfers and next year, I suspect it will only be 10.

BTW, I do realize that other schools have no problems with having 15 players on scholarship while Geno prefers to only have 12/13. UConn will never have as many players on scholarship as other schools do, but no way should they only have 9

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
DD, I think that Geno and staff's involvement in the previous cycle did have impacts on the recruiting cycle. The entire staff was involved in support of team USA. It is only anecdotal evidence but the result was a class of one with Saniya and the present situation where we have not been able to tie down a big to date. I would love to know the number of hours on the road recruiting before, during and after the involvement with USA basketball. this is not to say there are not benefits that may help offset and liabilities.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Cat, you haven't read enough from wbbfan1. Geno could hand him a million dollars and he would be concerned that it would have a bad impact on the program.

Yes, I know. Saying he sees the glass half-full is being generous.

Let's face it. UConn is now doomed in so many ways: Crappy conference, short roster, coaches spending too much time with USA BB, no post players in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom