Geno to be on SNY shortly | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno to be on SNY shortly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Actually I feel just the opposite. People who get angry and pissed off, usually have something to hide. Those who "know" they are innocent don't need to be angry or worried. They "know" the truth.
Yeppers.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Actually I feel just the opposite. People who get angry and pissed off, usually have something to hide. Those who "know" they are innocent don't need to be angry or worried. They "know" the truth.

As in the modern day use of the Shakespeare quote: "the [man] doth protest to much, methinks"

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The unfortunate thing is that a situation line this will have hidden effects with parents and recruits. It may very well create enough doubt with a player that is on the fence or with the recruit's parents.

I hope that recruits can look at Geno's body of work during his career and not put too much stock in what will probably be a short term distraction. But there is a possibility that if this drags on that recruits don't want to enter an uncertain situation, such as Davis with UT.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
If someone is 100% innocent, I just can't understand hiding behind statements or saying nothing more than a calm "we'll let the lawyers take care of it", price of success, etc.

If someone is 90% innocent, then yeah I can see the lawyer comment because you don't want that 10% to get out.

If someone is completely guilty, well than obviously stick with statements and lawyers handling it til the cows come home.

Who knows where he falls in those areas, but I was hoping for some more rage because of what's at stake here.

There is an absolute privilege for statements made in legal pleadings (generally referred to as "the absolute judicial proceedings privilege"). If Geno were to respond in the press, he could risk a defamation claim, depending on what was said. If he responds in his pleadings (whether an Answer to the Complaint or through a Motion to Dismiss), he faces no such risk.

As an aside, the terms "guilty" and "not guilty" are legal terms of art in the context of criminal law. If Geno committed the alleged acts, the issue is whether he, as an individual, or USA Basketball and the NBA, as employers/corporate entities/etc. are "liable" for the alleged conduct.

Reaction Score
I think that your expectations are very wrong from the psychological point of view. Those who are innocent expect the truth out in the end and to be vindicated. They have little need of rage because they expect things to be seen for what they are, sometimes naively so.

If he's 100% innocent than I can't disagree more. This will be a battle in the courts that might take years to work itself out. But right now this is also a PR battle. Image means a lot. As a UConn coach hitting the recruiting trails, as a coach for the USA team. As a representative of UConn wherever he goes.

It doesn't help your image to appear like you're just going to "Lawyer Up" and hide behind a statement and calmly talk generalities in your first public appearance since the suit.
Now if you're not 100% innocent than I agree that's exactly what you do. So I don't know, maybe I'm thinking that there is at least some small piece of this story that might be accurate.
But if he is completely innocent, people (outside of this thread I guess) like to see some real human reactions to a baseless lie. His reputation and a piece of UConn's reputation is at stake.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If he's 100% innocent than I can't disagree more. This will be a battle in the courts that might take years to work itself out. But right now this is also a PR battle. Image means a lot. As a UConn coach hitting the recruiting trails, as a coach for the USA team. As a representative of UConn wherever he goes.

It doesn't help your image to appear like you're just going to "Lawyer Up" and hide behind a statement and calmly talk generalities in your first public appearance since the suit.
Now if you're not 100% innocent than I agree that's exactly what you do. So I don't know, maybe I'm thinking that there is at least some small piece of this story that might be accurate.
But if he is completely innocent, people (outside of this thread I guess) like to see some real human reactions to a baseless lie. His reputation and a piece of UConn's reputation is at stake.

You may want that emotion and disagree but I am telling you that that my training and experience in counseling tells me that you desire would be the more abnormal response for an innocent person whether you want otherwise or not. Cam, well notes the risk of doing otherwise, as well.

Geno's spot on SNY was perfect. A guy who was at ease with himself and his situation who acknowledges he cannot address the issue until more is known. He stated clearly in the media that the accusations will be proven wrong. His emotional level was perfect.

Most Americans today are sophisticated enough to understand what the counsel of lawyers is going to be. Jerry Sandusky who likely is guilty really hurt his position with the interview he gave to Bob Costas. Amendola should never have let him near the media near his client.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I'm heartbroken over this...it has really taken the wind out of this fan's sails. I was really looking forward to the Olympics and to the new season, and now there is a heavy pall over everything. Will it rise? Can we get through this? It's the way I felt about D, when she was accused, but much darker and heavier. How can we wisely get through this, on the board, and in our thoughts about bball. Couple of great games on tonight, and I'm not sure I can turn them on...Isn't it a strange situation for us? How are people dealing with it? I have so much very hard work to do that I am not without things to do, for sure! But bball is my hobby, my one little break from my job and the various strains and joys of family life. What do you do when your little sideline hobby is shaken up? I guess I'm making too much of this, but I find myself in a strange place about this. I'm sorry for Geno and his family, sorry for us, sorry for the players...and of course, in my mind he's innocent until proven otherwise.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm heartbroken over this...it has really taken the wind out of this fan's sails. I was really looking forward to the Olympics and to the new season, and now there is a heavy pall over everything. Will it rise? Can we get through this? It's the way I felt about D, when she was accused, but much darker and heavier. How can we wisely get through this, on the board, and in our thoughts about bball. Couple of great games on tonight, and I'm not sure I can turn them on...Isn't it a strange situation for us? How are people dealing with it? I have so much very hard work to do that I am not without things to do, for sure! But bball is my hobby, my one little break from my job and the various strains and joys of family life. What do you do when your little sideline hobby is shaken up? I guess I'm making too much of this, but I find myself in a strange place about this. I'm sorry for Geno and his family, sorry for us, sorry for the players...and of course, in my mind he's innocent until proven otherwise.

That is a beautifully crafted and heartfelt post. I feel certain that UCONN and Geno will survive this and thrive as usual.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This discussion caused me to recall (not with precision, sorry) the guidance for young lawyers that is generally attributed to Clarence Darrow (who was some lawyer). It goes something like this:

"If you have the law on your side but not the facts, pound on the law. If you have the facts but not the law, pound on the facts. And if you have neither, pound on the table and yell like hell."

Legal experts or historians, feel free to correct my version. Should be more enriching than giving Geno unwanted legal advice.

Reaction Score
If someone is 100% innocent, I just can't understand hiding behind statements or saying nothing more than a calm "we'll let the lawyers take care of it", price of success, etc.

If someone is 90% innocent, then yeah I can see the lawyer comment because you don't want that 10% to get out.

If someone is completely guilty, well than obviously stick with statements and lawyers handling it til the cows come home.

Who knows where he falls in those areas, but I was hoping for some more rage because of what's at stake here.
Hey, can you put together the explanation for me assuming someone is 62% guilty ?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22