Geno the Wit | The Boneyard

Geno the Wit

Reaction Score
I've been a fan of Geno's sense of humor almost as long as I've been a fan of UConn WCBB. Like the wines he loves, he seems to improve with age, at least in the quip and amusing anecdote department. We're only seven games into the season and he's already laid down some beauties.

For instance:

When Anna Makurat, newly relocated to the US from Poland, started the season shooting miserably, Geno said she was "oh for America."

The other day he said he wanted his team to be dominant and "bad for basketball again."

Not funny, but fascinating was his pre-game banter with writers yesterday where he asked the writers "who is the most famous player to have played on the Walsh gym floor?" After several suggestions from writers, he said "Dana Owens". It turns out when Geno was an assistant coach for Virginia WCBB before he came to UConn, he made a scouting/recruiting trip to Walsh to see Tammy Hammond of Irvington, New Jersey, whose teammate and the power forward on Tammy's team was Dana Owens, who later became Queen Latifah. He added when UConn won their first National Championship in 1995, she "sent him some Dom Perignon".

There have been witty basketball coaches, like Harry Peretta and Tex Winter, and the most funny, Frank Layden, but Geno is surpassing them all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've been a fan of Geno's sense of humor almost as long as I've been a fan of UConn WCBB. Like the wines he loves, he seems to improve with age, at least in the quip and amusing anecdote department. We're only seven games into the season and he's already laid down some beauties.

For instance:

When Anna Makurat, newly relocated to the US from Poland, started the season shooting miserably, Geno said she was "oh for America."

The other day he said he wanted his team to be dominant and "bad for basketball again."

Not funny, but fascinating was his pre-game banter with writers yesterday where he asked the writers "who is the most famous player to have played on the Walsh gym floor?" After several suggestions from writers, he said "Dana Owens". It turns out when Geno was an assistant coach for Virginia WCBB before he came to UConn, he made a scouting/recruiting trip to Walsh to see Tammy Hammond of Irvington, New Jersey, whose teammate and the power forward on Tammy's team was Dana Owens, who later became Queen Latifah. He added when UConn won their first National Championship in 1995, she "sent him some Dom Perignon".

There have been witty basketball coaches, like Harry Peretta and Tex Winter, and the most funny, Frank Layden, but Geno is surpassing them all.
What a great piece of information - thank you

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Molly makes a couple of shots and she thinks she’s Moriah Jefferson.

Anna could be on the Polish Speedwalking Team.

Anna can text her parents and proudly say, “I came 6,000 miles to make a layup.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom