Geno: "The next two years could be something really special" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno: "The next two years could be something really special"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you ever recall Griner getting into foul trouble? I don't. Maybe her freshman year. She's so tall that she has no reason to foul. She doesn't even need to leave her feet to block even 6'5" players. All she needs to do is stand her ground. IMHO, if Geno's game plan to win is to get Griner in foul trouble, he will be in for a long night.

He doesn't need to get her in foul trouble...he has three centers and two high quality power forwards to deny her entry passes...he has a lock-down defender to sit on Baylor's point guard...their only consistent passer into the post and their only consistent penetrator...and he has superb ball handlers and 3-point shooters on the perimeter, including both power forwards.

If he gets the team on the same sheet of music by February...I like UCONN's chances a lot. I'm sure he'll be experimenting and keeping things in his pocket though, because he wants the next two NC's!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'll believe UConn-Duke being interesting when I see it. No offense to the Duke guests on the board, but that game has been full of sound and fury, signifying nothing of late. Last year, UConn didn't even play especially well and easily defeated Duke on their floor.

Griner doesn't often get in foul trouble. However, it's always a possibility, especially given the crap shoot that is WBB officiating. And of course, the other concern is that an injury to Griner pretty much torpedoes Baylor's ability to repeat, whereas I think UConn could sustain an injury to any one player without having their championship chances dashed. An injury to Griner is not how anyone would want UConn to win it- just saying that's one of the big advantages of depth.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I'll believe UConn-Duke being interesting when I see it. No offense to the Duke guests on the board, but that game has been full of sound and fury, signifying nothing of late. Last year, UConn didn't even play especially well and easily defeated Duke on their floor.

Griner doesn't often get in foul trouble. However, it's always a possibility, especially given the crap shoot that is WBB officiating. And of course, the other concern is that an injury to Griner pretty much torpedoes Baylor's ability to repeat, whereas I think UConn could sustain an injury to any one player without having their championship chances dashed. An injury to Griner is not how anyone would want UConn to win it- just saying that's one of the big advantages of depth.

Agreed that we can sustain an injury, but I'd add that even with a healthy Griner they won't repeat without Sims either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom
Top Bottom