Geno--Teacher/Coach | The Boneyard

Geno--Teacher/Coach

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Quoting Geno on Christyn's evolution and the role he likes to fill: from CT Post

"“We all like to coach for the same reasons that teachers like to teach, because we are teachers at heart,” Auriemma said. “We all love when our students get something and the light goes on and they feel like there’s a sense of accomplishment of, wow, this was really hard for me, it took me a while to get this, but I feel so good about myself that I finally got it. And, as a coach, you just feel so good for them.”
And here is Geno on the larger picture-- i.e., the cultural context in which sports takes place:
“It used to be death and taxes are the two sure things you can count on,” Auriemma said. “In my mind, the two things you can count on are racism and sexism. They are embedded in the culture of not just the United States but everywhere. Add religious intolerance. Those three things have been around since the beginning of time. Look at how hard we try to deal with it, but have we really tried? Do we have enough people to deal with it?

“There are just some people in the world who are never going to respect female athletes because they believe they are less an athlete. Serena Williams doesn’t have to play Roger Federer in his prime to prove herself. Softball, baseball, different games. Basketball, both games can be great. So what are we doing here beyond perpetuating a stereotype? It’s like racism. It doesn’t start when you get to college. It doesn’t start with one organization. It starts when you’re a little kid going to school and what you’re taught at home and then it’s perpetuated by adults.”

I like our coach's perspective; it makes him a teacher outside the lines of a basketball court, where his players spend most of their lives. Bravo, Geno.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great quotes! What is the origin of the second one? I missed seeing it when originally published.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22
Top Bottom