Geno Talks Christyn and Olivia | The Boneyard

Geno Talks Christyn and Olivia

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Geno Auriemma dishes on newly signed recruiting class

Hopefully not a repeat?

It takes a lot of brass to recruit this way:

"We take kind of a different approach to recruiting," Auriemma said. "We try to identify pretty on what we are looking for and then when we find it, we spend all our time and energy on those kids. If it is one, two or three we go in believing we are going to get the kids we think work hard enough and fit what we want. You roll the dice and you might come up empty but that is the chance we might take. We've been in that situation a lot of times. People said what was your Plan B back in 1991 with Rebecca Lobo? We didn't have a Plan B. What was your Plan B with Stewie, Tuck and Moriah? We didn't have a Plan B, those are the guys we want. Who would your shooter be if you didn't get Lou or Pheesa? I don't know, those are the two guys we wanted and we got them so there are years when you come up empty but we have gotten pretty much what we need more times than not."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Another insight into the enigmatic ONO recruiting process:

"It wasn't the normal recruiting scenario," Auriemma said. "She is not your typical kid who wants to have 20 schools involved so she can get 20 phone calls and then put out on social media that I am being recruited by 20 schools and when signing day comes, I am going to have 20 different hats and I will pick one out, I am going to post it on all the message boards and let everybody know that I am taking my talents to this particular school. You couldn't get a hold of Olivia for weeks and weeks and weeks you couldn't get a hold of her which was fine with me, apparently it was fine with her and fine with her mom but this wasn't one of those, we have to call them three times every day, we have to text them or be on instant message an all that other nonsense that I don't even know anything else about, she was unusual in recruiting and because of that I don't think anybody really knew where you stood.

"This was old fashioned, when she came up on campus that is when I felt like, CD (associate head coach Chris Dailey) did and the rest of the coaching staff felt like we are going to get her just because of the way it evolved when she was on campus. The other kids by the time they come on campus, you know but not with this kid."

Reaction Score
The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: Geno Auriemma dishes on newly signed recruiting class

Hopefully not a repeat?

It takes a lot of brass to recruit this way:

"We take kind of a different approach to recruiting," Auriemma said. "We try to identify pretty on what we are looking for and then when we find it, we spend all our time and energy on those kids. If it is one, two or three we go in believing we are going to get the kids we think work hard enough and fit what we want. You roll the dice and you might come up empty but that is the chance we might take. We've been in that situation a lot of times. People said what was your Plan B back in 1991 with Rebecca Lobo? We didn't have a Plan B. What was your Plan B with Stewie, Tuck and Moriah? We didn't have a Plan B, those are the guys we want. Who would your shooter be if you didn't get Lou or Pheesa? I don't know, those are the two guys we wanted and we got them so there are years when you come up empty but we have gotten pretty much what we need more times than not."

"They always made fun of me because of how I talk so she will be able to advocate for me that this is how people talk in Georgia so I am excited," Coombs said
Those that "make fun" of the Georgia accent are just jealous. That accent in a girl is charming, as is the Arkansan accent. My wife's brother at one time as they visited Watertown Ct would put on the Movie Brooklyn accent , because that's what Ct expected --my New York wife always spoke better than I, with my Ct wording flowing in conversations.
Rocky's post above on Geno's method of recruiting is exactly as most of us who follow Uconn knew it worked. Pick the best, best suited for Uconn, and go hard for them. Those he recruited as fill-in's rarely worked out and some departed.
ONO (Olivia) and Ms C Williams will dazzle us with pretty phrases and super skills. Geno/Chris/Uconn type kids easy to get along with, and talented. You just got to love this program.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"They always made fun of me because of how I talk so she will be able to advocate for me that this is how people talk in Georgia so I am excited," Coombs said
Those that "make fun" of the Georgia accent are just jealous. That accent in a girl is charming, as is the Arkansan accent. My wife's brother at one time as they visited Watertown Ct would put on the Movie Brooklyn accent , because that's what Ct expected --my New York wife always spoke better than I, with my Ct wording flowing in conversations.
Rocky's post above on Geno's method of recruiting is exactly as most of us who follow Uconn knew it worked. Pick the best, best suited for Uconn, and go hard for them. Those he recruited as fill-in's rarely worked out and some departed.
ONO (Olivia) and Ms C Williams will dazzle us with pretty phrases and super skills. Geno/Chris/Uconn type kids easy to get along with, and talented. You just got to love this program.
I think we should add someone with a charming Aussie accent:

Ezi_Magbegor_FinalsMVP_Edit-3.jpg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
To re-quote what one coach has said, "(UConn) may not get all the best players, but they do get the ones they want", and for the most part this is true. Year after year. There are misses, Cox two years ago was one. But it all worked out fine in the end, didn't it?

Reaction Score
To re-quote what one coach has said, "(UConn) may not get all the best players, but they do get the ones they want", and for the most part this is true. Year after year. There are misses, Cox two years ago was one. But it all worked out fine in the end, didn't it?
I almost asked you Cox who; that's how important she became. What is interesting in this whole recruiting process : We have desires and hopes, even some demands about some recruit with " unbelievable talent". We worry a bit what will Geno do when we play such a talented person (loyd for example). Then Uconn misses that GREAT one and end up with Tuck, Moriah, Stew. Is Geno unlucky or what??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom