Geno: Sue Bird is the best point guard in the world | The Boneyard

Geno: Sue Bird is the best point guard in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"Auriemma, who used to joke that he had plucked Bird off the "mean streets of Syosset" in reference to her suburban roots, remembers the exact moment he realized Bird had the potential to be a great player."

From Newsday...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's not just Geno that says so: "Sue is one of the best players in the world," Seattle coach Brian Agler said. "She has this ability to rise up in big moments. When the team really needs big plays, she's extremely skilled. But her biggest attribute is her ability to make her team better. Every season, she just keeps amazing me with how smart she is and the decisions that she makes."

Reaction Score
Geno or Brian Alger didn't say anything we didn't already know, did they?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The mean streets of Syosset! LOL

Who is the second best PG in the world? Right now, a case can be made for Kara Lawson.

Reaction Score
Geno or Brian Alger didn't say anything we didn't already know, did they?

Starting guard on the team expected to win the gold.
It'd be more remarkable if she weren't the best PG in the world.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
"When you are one of only seven basketball players to win an Olympic gold medal, a WNBA championship and an NCAA title, it's ..."

So. who are the 6 others? D and Catchings came to mind right away. Then I thought of Swin (she did win a WNBA title, yes?) I'm too lazy to think any more about it ... but maybe someone here would enjoy the challenge.

Reaction Score
  1. Bird
  2. Taurasi
  3. Swoopes
  4. Cash
  5. Ruth Riley
  6. Cynthia Cooper
  7. Kara Wolters (on Houston Comets durign their run I believe)?

Reaction Score
"When you are one of only seven basketball players to win an Olympic gold medal, a WNBA championship and an NCAA title, it's ..."

So. who are the 6 others? D and Catchings came to mind right away. Then I thought of Swin (she did win a WNBA title, yes?) I'm too lazy to think any more about it ... but maybe someone here would enjoy the challenge.

Cynthia Lynne Cooper-Dyke was on two NCAA Championship teams with Cheryl Miller at USC, on the gold-medal winning 1988 US Olympic Women's Basketball team, and won the first four WNBA titles with the Houston Comets.

Reaction Score
Kara was on the Comets roster...used to see her around all the time...but I don't remember her ever playing during their run...but I didn't see every game? Mostly saw her in street clothes...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Swin actually has 3 WNBA titles--2 with Detroit, 1 with Seattle. Diana and Sue have 2 each. Maya is working on her second.

Maya is also working on becoming #8 on that list.

2 NCAA titles

1 World title

1 WNBA title

1 Olympic title, hopefully.

And she is 23 years old.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
When all is said and done, which Huskies make the Naismith HOF in Springfield....besides Geno?

Dee...yes
Sue...yes
Maya...yes
Tina...yes

Several maybes
Ashja
Swin
Rebecca

That only considers players already gone. Wouldn't be surprised at all if a couple of from the upcoming 2012/2013 team also make it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Swin actually has 3 WNBA titles--2 with Detroit, 1 with Seattle. Diana and Sue have 2 each. Maya is working on her second.

Maya is also working on becoming #8 on that list.

2 NCAA titles

1 World title

1 WNBA title

1 Olympic title, hopefully.

And she is 23 years old.
slacker... ;)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
After Seattle won its 2nd WNBA title in 2010 Sue Bird said: "I judge myself as a player based on winning. That's how I judge myself." Against that standard, she's pretty good.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue's teams lost 7 games in a 6-year span. Maya's teams lost 7 games in an 8-year span. They put Charlie Sheen to shame. :)

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
"Said Bird: "Throughout my career, I've come to realize that. No one can take winning away from you. They can talk about you all they want, but you can't take a win away. There's no better feeling than winning."

Bulls-eye!

Reaction Score
I used to think that wbb fans were a self-selecting group that had among other things, higher than average intelligence. Well, that was until a few years back when there was this huge orchestrated push among WNBA fans to have Sue bumped off the national team to make way for Loree Moore. I kid you not, and no, it was not a "Summitt"-board thing. I don't hear it mentioned at all anymore, but those who were leading that push don't seem to have backed off one bit in their awe at their own superior brilliance.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I used to think that wbb fans were a self-selecting group that had among other things, higher than average intelligence. Well, that was until a few years back when there was this huge orchestrated push among WNBA fans to have Sue bumped off the national team to make way for Loree Moore. I kid you not, and no, it was not a "Summitt"-board thing. I don't hear it mentioned at all anymore, but those who were leading that push don't seem to have backed off one bit in their awe at their own superior brilliance.
I don't remember that at all, and as someone who never thought Loree Moore was anything special, it makes no sense at all to me.

Who were these WNBA fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer