Geno, Sue and others on MA Voepel | The Boneyard

Geno, Sue and others on MA Voepel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've always put Voepel as someone who doesn't like UCONN. I cant' remember all the things but I thought Voepel was critical of Geno with the Olympics. I recently read that she said Stanford played their worst game of the year vs UCONN. However was their similar comments when UCONN has lost in past Final Fours? Especially the prior year vs Arizona?

These are just two but I thought there were more. But I could be all wet here.

Reaction Score
Apropos of nothing, I find it interesting that the link takes you to the ESPN Australia edition. The article is available in the WNBA section of the US ESPN site. I checked. ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I've always put Voepel as someone who doesn't like UCONN. I cant' remember all the things but I thought Voepel was critical of Geno with the Olympics. I recently read that she said Stanford played their worst game of the year vs UCONN. However was their similar comments when UCONN has lost in past Final Fours? Especially the prior year vs Arizona?

FWIW, every fan base says he favors one team over another. I guess that means the reporting has been evenhanded

Reaction Score

Vopel has been based in the south his whole life and covered the B12 & the SEC primarily. He took Summitt's side in every Geno tiff, idolizing her at every chance and I would guess that he has never attended a UConn home game.
I don't think he dislikes UConn but his fanbase did/does and his fanbase is his income.
His preseason predictions often have UConn ranked just below Maryland and out of the FF. He and Cornelius are both talented writers with personal bias that I find both juvenile and unprofessional. Maria to a much greater degree.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Vopel has been based in the south his whole life and covered the B12 & the SEC primarily. He took Summitt's side in every Geno tiff, idolizing her at every chance and I would guess that he has never attended a UConn home game.
I don't think he dislikes UConn but his fanbase did/does and his fanbase is his income.
His preseason predictions often have UConn ranked just below Maryland and out of the FF. He and Cornelius are both talented writers with personal bias that I find both juvenile and unprofessional. Maria to a much greater degree.
Voepel has been to many UConn games in Connecticut. And he wrote for his home town paper, the Kansas City Star, for years before becoming dedicated to the women’s game.

If you’re going to be insulting, at least get your facts straight

Reaction Score
Voepel has been to many UConn games in Connecticut. And he wrote for his home town paper, the Kansas City Star, for years before becoming dedicated to the women’s game.

If you’re going to be insulting, at least get your facts straight
You say CT. In Storrs?
I may have gotten the facts wrong but there is nothing insulting in my post. She was primarily covering the B12 and SEC They are both pros and therefore open to healthy criticism. And what I have said is miniscule compared to some of the nasty comments Cornelius has put to ink.

Reaction Score
FWIW, every fan base says he favors one team over another. I guess that means the reporting has been evenhanded
I can't speak for other fanbases. But if Voepel did criticize Geno for Olympic selections in which Dawn was the coach then why wouldn't it be a hint of anti-UCONN bias? The criticism Geno received had no logic, didn't it?

And Voepel did say Stanford played their worst game of the season, while if he never mentioned it when UCONN has been upset in the past for games they played poorly, then why wouldn't it be a hint of anti-UCONN bias?

Voepel is a human being just like we all are, and as a result possible to have biases. If Voepel has said some amazing things about UCONN in the last 5 years or so then okay, But if he hasn't, and for a team that has been to so many consecutive Final Fours, then why wouldn't it be a hint of anti-UCONN bias? In other words, think of all the anti-UCONN posters on here or the complainers. It gets frustrating at times that they can say very little positive about UCONN. Well if Voepel says very little positive about a program that has had such amazing success, then why wouldn't it be a hint of anti-UCONN bias?

And I am using the word "if."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44