Geno Speaks 1/5 | The Boneyard

Geno Speaks 1/5

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm surprised that he didn't use that question as an opportunity to comment on Aaliyah as well as Paige. I think Aaliyah stands out among her freshmen peers (not that I've seen a great many on other teams) almost as much as Paige does. She definitely provides something that the UConn front court hasn't had since Morgan Tuck said goodbye. Napheesa was a great scorer with good hops, but she was never that strong on the boards.

One of the things that I expected to hear tomorrow night or Thursday morning (before the Baylor game got cancelled) was that Aaliyah would start against Baylor and, if she performed well, in subsequent games as well. I still won't be surprised to hear that on Friday evening or Saturday morning.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that he didn't use that question as an opportunity to comment on Aaliyah as well as Paige. I think Aaliyah stands out among her freshmen peers (not that I've seen a great many on other teams) almost as much as Paige does. She definitely provides something that the UConn front court hasn't had since Morgan Tuck said goodbye. Napheesa was a great scorer with good hops, but she was never that strong on the boards.

One of the things that I expected to hear tomorrow night or Thursday morning (before the Baylor game got cancelled) was that Aaliyah would start against Baylor and, if she performed well, in subsequent games as well. I still won't be surprised to hear that on Friday evening or Saturday morning.
With 1219 rebounds, Collier was #4 all time at UConn. I'd call that strong on the boards. Let's hope that Edwards can somehow come close to that.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

He probably thought if he extended the question to Aaliyah, he would need to differentiate all the freshman more accurately and probably did not feel he wanted to do that. And I am sure he does not think "There is nothing on the court Aaliyah cant do"

Actually, after all the Paige praise which I think has to be unprecedented at UConn, he said he told Paige if you play like a freshman, we will not win it all. So you better not play like a freshman. And Geno said Paige's reaction is basically "duh"

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In that one sequence, I think Geno say that Paige is "good" or "really good" a total of 6 times.

I guess she's pretty good. :D
and those dramatic pauses. One she learns to sustain which she will, ......... she's good ........
really good. (NPOY :eek::D)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Geno didn't eliminate the possibility of any of next years recruits going the team this year is they get their HS Diploma early. He didn't say it would happen, but if he got a phone call, I think he would say yes come on up to Storrs. Especially if any of the recruits are good three point shooters.?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
and those dramatic pauses. One she learns to sustain which she will, ......... she's good ........
really good. (NPOY :eek::D)
He did drop the NPOY term.

Reaction Score

I just hope we get to see either of them play again this season. It seems like the games are being cancelled like a plague.

Reaction Score
Love our coach!! Coach Auriemma keeping it real as always. Hey, you crying about being cooped up for 3-4 weeks? Just lose your game and then you will be back in 2 or 3 days. LOL!!! Love it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
He did drop the NPOY term.

Yes but I think Caitlin Clark will give Paige some real competition for FPOY. Of course, anyone who watches them sees that Paige just sees the game differently than Caitlin and it feels like a reincarnation of the Pheesa / Arike WNBA ROY race.

But Caitlin's stat stuffing probably falls into Genos plan since he can push Paige to be ,more aggressive and shoot more by giving some "subtle" hints.

By the way, big talking point on the "Chasing Perfection" podcast where they take umbrage that Caitlin is even in the discussion (although the podcast was made prior to Caitlins last best game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom