Geno shows Kiah some love.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno shows Kiah some love....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just don't see fatigue being a factor. In the games preceding the FF they should be able to give the starters some rest. And there is always a day in between games. This team is in tremendous shape.

In regards to foul issues, it's not impossible it could be a problem. But considering they average less fouls per game than anyone in the country, it's doubtful it will be a problem.

We only need enough minutes from the bench to change things up and give the starters a little rest to keep them fresh.

For this year, we don't need their scoring.
I tend to agree with all you've said, especially about the remarkable job the team has done in staying out of foul trouble. But that's the one area of vulnerability that still concerns me most. So far this year, I think the refs have done a better job than I've seen in the past, adopting a bit more of a "let 'em play" attitude and not calling an excessive number of ticky-tacky fouls down low. Muffett, whose coaching acumen, in my opinion, is second only to Geno's, has done a good job in the past in getting to the line against us, often almost baiting the refs to blow the whistle. If I were she, or any other opposing coach, faced with the clear superiority of our starting five, and with our relatively short and less-productive bench, I know that would be my game plan. If the refs continue to do a good job, we should be fine without depending on anyone off the bench for much offensive output, but while this team was arguably invincible before Morgan went down, I think that's a bit more in doubt now....but only vs ND.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with all you've said, especially about the remarkable job the team has done in staying out of foul trouble. But that's the one area of vulnerability that still concerns me most. So far this year, I think the refs have done a better job than I've seen in the past, adopting a bit more of a "let 'em play" attitude and not calling an excessive number of ticky-tacky fouls down low. Muffett, whose coaching acumen, in my opinion, is second only to Geno's, has done a good job in the past in getting to the line against us, often almost baiting the refs to blow the whistle. If I were she, or any other opposing coach, faced with the clear superiority of our starting five, and with our relatively short and less-productive bench, I know that would be my game plan. If the refs continue to do a good job, we should be fine without depending on anyone off the bench for much offensive output, but while this team was arguably invincible before Morgan went down, I think that's a bit more in doubt now....but only vs ND.

ND is more likely to get in foul trouble and have it hurt them than UConn.

Right now ND is a three trick pony. Uconn can rely on five players to score.

If they have to sit any of their big three, they are toast. No so with Uconn.

Reaction Score
Teams that commit/take a lot of "charges" , will put the game in the hands of the officials. Most charges are 50/50 on what can be called. We don't appear to rely on that. ND, however, relies on going to the free throw line. If the officials "let them play", all ND will have, is a lot of players on the floor, looking up at a points deficit.

HuskyPup

Dislikes Notur-Daim
Reaction Score
Sick-em doggy ! I agree with you...Kiah may not have scored (in 2 conference tourney games) but it looks to me that she hasn't needed to. We all know that anything Kiah does offensively is icing on the cake but why worry about all of the hypothetical "foul" scenarios when currently they don't exist? Sure we could all say what if this and what if that but to date fouling has not been a problem and I don't see it starting now. Kiah's current role is not scoring it's rebounding and defense and I think most of us would agree she's performing her "role" as well as anyone else on the team. So for those who think we are doomed because Kiah and our bench is not scoring points deal with it! We have a great TEAM with everyone doing their part. As they say don't hate ...congratulate!

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
So far in the tourney, the bench has played a total of 93 minutes, during which time they managed nine points total, achieved with one field goal and seven free throws. The five starters have played extraordinarily well, and the even distribution of their scoring is truly impressive. But we have to hope that once we get to the Final Four neither fatigue, nor foul trouble, nor, God forbid, injury pay this team a visit. Production from Kiah and the rest of the bench, at least on offense, has been non-existent, and while we can all hope, it's getting harder and harder to be very optimistic about short-term improvement.

Big....I respect your opinion and use of some stats to back it up, but you are turning into the kid in class who always reminded the teacher she forgot to assign homework. :rolleyes:
UConn has 5 starters capable of scoring lots of points. When Kiah comes in, there are still 4 scorers on the floor. Even when Kiah and Saniya are in together there is still plenty of offense available. No doubt the bench is not scoring much. We all watch the games and see that. We get it. But when UConn is up 31 at the half against Rutgers, does that really matter? Does it matter enough to speculate about what MIGHT happen if we play ND and IF there is foul trouble or IF there fatigue...??? Please let us enjoy these victories and get out of class w/out homework..... please..:cool:

Go Huskies..!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Facts hurt!!
Facts with small samples are meaningless. Geno has liked what he has seen and Kiah is capable of scoring when the situation presents itself.

Reaction Score
Facts with small samples are meaningless. Geno has liked what he has seen and Kiah is capable of scoring when the situation presents itself.

Kiah is averaging less than 5 pts/game over 33 games, she has shown very little capability of scoring. Geno likes what he sees on defense not on offense.

Reaction Score
Didn't your mother ever tell you, it's not what you say but how you say it?

Your constant insulting of Stokes it just full metal trolling.

you may take my remarks as insults to Kiah, but I don't insult Kiah.
I offset your over the top optomisim with a sense of reality.
And your condensending remarks are not appreciated.

I dont wear the same rose colored glasses that you do

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
you may take my remarks as insults to Kiah, but I don't insult Kiah.
I offset your over the top optomisim with a sense of reality.
And your condensending remarks are not appreciated.

I dont wear the same rose colored glasses that you do
Uh....I said they don't need her scoring this year. That is over the top optimistic?

I didn't vote her on the all-conference 2nd team.

It's even sadder you don't even know you are insulting her.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Kiah is averaging less than 5 pts/game over 33 games, she has shown very little capability of scoring. Geno likes what he sees on defense not on offense.
She doesn't shoot. But she is capable of scoring.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
S
. Production from Kiah and the rest of the bench, at least on offense, has been non-existent, and while we can all hope, it's getting harder and harder to be very optimistic about short-term improvement.

Keep trying.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Uh....I said they don't need her scoring this year. That is over the top optimistic?

I didn't vote her on the all-conference 2nd team.

It's even sadder you don't even know you are insulting her.

Boy, this is a familiar tune: "I'm not insulting, I'm injecting much-needed reality. and, you're wearing rose-colored glasses." It's remarkable how often snide, condescending remarks are justified in the name of "reality", and that, when that is pointed out, the "pointer" is dismissed as "wearing rose-colored glasses". First, on this board, the glasses are a pale shade of National Flag Blue. Second, if you were to take Kiah's numbers from this year - when she is usually the last or second-to-last scoring option on the floor - and merely assume she played the 31.7 minutes per game that Stef plays, this is what you get. 7.8 ppg, 12 rpg, and 133 blocks (over 4 pg). Now, that's higher than Stef's numbers in rebounds and blocks, and about 4.6 ppg lower. Stef's numbers in assists would be 1.8 per game higher as well.

Although Kiah does not score a lot, she is shooting .602 from the field, and .800 from the line. Not too shabby.

Projecting is an inexact science, as it does matter "who and when" those numbers were compiled. Given the minutes that Kiah has logged with the "first unit" lately, I'm pretty comfortable that we'll be seeing exemplary rebounding and block shot numbers. Offensively? Probably not - but, with KML, Stewie, MoJet, Morgan, Saniya, BB, and the frosh, it is still likely that she won't have to be option A, B, or C. If she can be the leading rebounder on the team, leading shot-blocker, and solid defensively - and throw in 8-10 points per game, that would be great.

Just for comparison - Jessica Moore did not average 10 ppg either her junior or senior year, and certainly didn't rebound or block shots as prolifically as Kiah. Jess was, statistically, the 4th scoring option on both those teams.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You asked Geno? You know what he wants from her on offense. Wow, cool that you have such access. On the otherhand she is doing exactly what is needed from her and scoring isn't one of them.

BTW, what is Kiah's personal best scoring game? That might give you an indication of what is possible for Kiah.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You asked Geno? You know what he wants from her on offense. Wow, cool that you have such access. On the otherhand she is doing exactly what is needed from her and scoring isn't one of them.

BTW, what is Kiah's personal best scoring game? That might give you an indication of what is possible for Kiah.

"On the otherhand she is doing exactly what is needed from her and scoring isn't one of them". Wow, Geno told you that?? Cool that you have such direct access.

I have read the Geno quotes and he acknowledges her defense, while never mentioning her offense. He has said how frustrated he is with her, and it is not with her defensive efforts, its her lack of offense.

The possibility of Kiah scoring is there but the probability is not. For every double digit scoring game she had, she had more games of ZERO points tallied.
No great coach and especially a demanding coach like Geno is going to be satisfied with a player who is one dimensional. Even the great Kelley Faris had to improve her game offensively.

For a great rebounder, you would think she would score more off put backs. Rare that she does, because she gets the rebound and looks immediately to the perimeter. Too many on here keep predicting what she will do based on her potential, How do any of you know this? My statements are based on 3 years of history, yours is just wishful thinking.

Reaction Score
Boy, this is a familiar tune: "I'm not insulting, I'm injecting much-needed reality. and, you're wearing rose-colored glasses." It's remarkable how often snide, condescending remarks are justified in the name of "reality", and that, when that is pointed out, the "pointer" is dismissed as "wearing rose-colored glasses". First, on this board, the glasses are a pale shade of National Flag Blue. Second, if you were to take Kiah's numbers from this year - when she is usually the last or second-to-last scoring option on the floor - and merely assume she played the 31.7 minutes per game that Stef plays, this is what you get. 7.8 ppg, 12 rpg, and 133 blocks (over 4 pg). Now, that's higher than Stef's numbers in rebounds and blocks, and about 4.6 ppg lower. Stef's numbers in assists would be 1.8 per game higher as well.

Although Kiah does not score a lot, she is shooting .602 from the field, and .800 from the line. Not too shabby.

Projecting is an inexact science, as it does matter "who and when" those numbers were compiled. Given the minutes that Kiah has logged with the "first unit" lately, I'm pretty comfortable that we'll be seeing exemplary rebounding and block shot numbers. Offensively? Probably not - but, with KML, Stewie, MoJet, Morgan, Saniya, BB, and the frosh, it is still likely that she won't have to be option A, B, or C. If she can be the leading rebounder on the team, leading shot-blocker, and solid defensively - and throw in 8-10 points per game, that would be great.

Just for comparison - Jessica Moore did not average 10 ppg either her junior or senior year, and certainly didn't rebound or block shots as prolifically as Kiah. Jess was, statistically, the 4th scoring option on both those teams.

Exactly.

How many AA teams did Jess Moore make?
And using your player comparison why are people projecting Kiah will be AA next year?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"On the otherhand she is doing exactly what is needed from her and scoring isn't one of them". Wow, Geno told you that?? Cool that you have such direct access.

I have read the Geno quotes and he acknowledges her defense, while never mentioning her offense. He has said how frustrated he is with her, and it is not with her defensive efforts, its her lack of offense.

The possibility of Kiah scoring is there but the probability is not. For every double digit scoring game she had, she had more games of ZERO points tallied.
No great coach and especially a demanding coach like Geno is going to be satisfied with a player who is one dimensional. Even the great Kelley Faris had to improve her game offensively.

For a great rebounder, you would think she would score more off put backs. Rare that she does, because she gets the rebound and looks immediately to the perimeter. Too many on here keep predicting what she will do based on her potential, How do any of you know this? My statements are based on 3 years of history, yours is just wishful thinking.

I didn't say that Geno stated what I was observing. You stated something Geno has not said about Kiah's recent play. Geno, however, has never been afraid to set Kiah nor to criticize so if he wasn't getting what he wanted he would make his point clear. He has never said specifically he has issues with her scoring. He has stated he has issues with her lack of focus and consistent effort. Never, specifically, offense. Probability of scoring would seem to be far more with Kiah than you realize giving her shooting %.

Check Jack's spreadsheet for her stats. For the 5th option on offense they aren't bad and will only improve.

Reaction Score
Can't score if you dont shoot.
Yes you can. Block a shot, get a rebound and pass the ball to someone more skilled at shooting than you are. Do that any you've scored just as surely as the person putting the ball through the hoop. It's a team sport.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Big....I respect your opinion and use of some stats to back it up, but you are turning into the kid in class who always reminded the teacher she forgot to assign homework. :rolleyes:
UConn has 5 starters capable of scoring lots of points. When Kiah comes in, there are still 4 scorers on the floor. Even when Kiah and Saniya are in together there is still plenty of offense available. No doubt the bench is not scoring much. We all watch the games and see that. We get it. But when UConn is up 31 at the half against Rutgers, does that really matter? Does it matter enough to speculate about what MIGHT happen if we play ND and IF there is foul trouble or IF there fatigue...??? Please let us enjoy these victories and get out of class w/out homework..... please..:cool:

Go Huskies..!!
stat of the 13-14 season

Reaction Score
dont let what Kiah is or isnt doing stop you from enjoying this season

Believe me I take great pride in the UConn wb success, and they are now at the point of the season where they need 6 more wins. My perspective also changes now, where winning is everything and scoring margin does not matter. Win and advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom