Geno says if season started tomorrow, Caroline would start. | The Boneyard

Geno says if season started tomorrow, Caroline would start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I can't imagine anything but, god forbid, an injury would change this going forward.

The man who will make the final decision, though, has liked what he has seen.
If we had a game tomorrow, Caroline would start,” Auriemma said. “She’s experienced, she’s smart, she knows what we want to get done, she’s tough. I’m not looking at what she can’t do, I’m looking at all the things that she brings. She brings a lot."

SNY article. They are doing a great job!

Reaction Score
"If we had a game tomorrow,Caroline would start"
Love the article! What it doesn't address, is the difference of opinion
as to who will start when the season actually starts>
Right now, Bria would not be playing!
My belief is that a healthy team<praying>will start
CD SR*
Bria Jr
Steph JR
Kelly SR
KML SO
The bench with Stewart,Morgan, will be getting starter/or close to mins Mo less than them
with Kiah and Banks getting 15 mins and CD will have minutes around,possibly 15-17

Before anyone, at me or comments about the Blue and dark color> I apologize:(
My computer would not allow me to just have the quote this way I screwed up
mia culpa Ira

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not surprised about Caroline. I think she starts both halves, though Geno may limit her minutes.

I'll be interested in seeing the sequence of the subs and whether they come in one at a time or in groups. I think all healthy players contribute much of the time. Perhaps our last bench player, interestingly, may be the best option for defending Griner. Heather has played BG well in limited minutes.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno's unspoken message to Morgan, Breanna, Moriah and even Brianna:

"You have enormous potential. You may even be better players than Caroline is right now. But after what she has given this team -- on the court, off the court, the total dedication, the leadership, for five years! -- she has earned the right to lead this team as a starter. Your time will probably come, especially if you model yourselves after this great player, Caroline Doty."

He didn't have to say it but Banks, Tuck, Stewart and Jefferson all understand what is expected. Just be like Caroline (and many champions who preceded her).

Champions!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
1. Of course she would start. Bria is hurt.

2. I have maintained, and will continue to maintain, that no one, under any circumstances, should earn the right to start simply because they did so the previous year, especially when that starting unit struggled offensively against elite competition. Now, fwiw, Caroline did look good in the three-point competition on first night, and if she does have her legs under her more than she did last year, that completely changes the equation. But if she's the same player she was last year and we fall behind to start both halves against Baylor, all of this rhetoric will be incredibly annoying.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Of course, barring injury Caroline will start. She was always going to start. January or March it may be different. As Kib notes the others have a role model and something to strive after, actually, two. Shea and Caroline, or Shea 2.0.

Reaction Score
I hope this puts an end to the Caroline not starting posts but I doubt it. The second she has a bad game, there will be a post demanding she be benched as a starter .

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

2. I have maintained, and will continue to maintain, that no one, under any circumstances, should earn the right to start simply because they did so the previous year, especially when that starting unit struggled offensively against elite competition. Now, fwiw, Caroline did look good in the three-point competition on first night, and if she does have her legs under her more than she did last year, that completely changes the equation. But if she's the same player she was last year and we fall behind to start both halves against Baylor, all of this rhetoric will be incredibly annoying.

What is annoying is that you think Geno only said Caroline would start because Hartley is hurt. That is not what he was saying.

Last year, UConn was down 10-5 before Geno subbed for Doty. But in those 5 minutes, Hayes missed a layup and two 3-pointers, Hartley missed a jumper and comitted a turnover, Faris missed a 3, Dolson and Faris committed fouls. Are you really blaming that all on Doty?

In the second half, UConn was outscored 9-3 before Geno subbed in for Doty. In those 4 minutes, Hayes missed a layup, Dolson had a turnover, Faris and Dolson committed fouls and Faris missed a 3 pointer. Sims did hit two 3 pointers, probably while being guarded by Doty. But really? These slow starts to both halves are because Geno started Doty?

Geno does put some stock in the "5 year starter" point when looking at Doty. And he also looks at her leadership as a reason to start her as well.

Reaction Score
It really doesn't matter if Bria is healthy or not (I hope she is better than healthy), Caroline Doty still starts. Again, the first 7-8 players all get really good minutes. As the season progresses the starting line-up may change, but IF everyone stays healthy the first 8 get quality minutes.

GO UCONN GO !

Slimmer

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We all need to look at the past as a reflection of what will happen this season. Caroline has earned her starting role. She has experience. Caroline will start. Will she play alot of minutes? Good quesition. Depending on her health. She will start because she brings the leadership and experience that this club needs at the point. Does she need score alot? No we have a team of players who can score and who could all start. Caroline brings a calmness to the team, direction, and she knows how to control the game. She is the coach on the court and commands respect. She is the link that when things start to unraval who can pull the team together. There is alot to learn from her body language and attitude. Shes tuff and a fighter. This is what is needed at the point. Any scoring she gives us is a plus. We have plenty of scorers starting and coming off the bench. Now that dosnt mean defenses can play off her. Leaving her open she can score. Her job is not to be a scorer but to coach the team on the floor.

There are no weak links on this team. Genos challange this season is getting everybody playtime. This is why many top recruits arent coming to UConn. They know UConn is very talented up and down the roster and they think they wont play. When recruits see how much playtime everybody who deserves it does play at UConn that will help his recruiting. For example. If the non starters are getting good minutes Geno can compare that to other teams non starters who get their minutes especially freshman on other teams. So with all their talent if UConn freshman average 15-20 minutes for example, and I not saying they will, and another school has freshman averaging the same minutes why wouldnt UConn be attractive for a kid looking at college? Dont forget most freshman dont start they come off the bench their first or second year in college.

I expect UConns bench to get alot more minutes then previous years teams, because they are that talented. We have a group that individually can put up alot of points. Scoring points will not be a problem for the next couple of seasons. It will be doing all the little things. Having someone like Caroline on the floor will provide that. Shes played with some of the great stars Tina Kalana Renee and Maya. Experience cant be taught and thats why Caroline will start.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

1. The second statement is not causal in regards to the first as others have stated.

2. You are using your premise in the first sentence to substitute a spurious relationship for a causal one. Causally, experience, attitude, will and leadership all count for something in Auriemma's system and helps to make the whole greater than the sum of the physically talented parts. Weber started over Sales for this reason. While some on here might have phrased their support for Doty along the lines that "she started last year, she'll start this year" most reasonable people understand that's not the real causal variable. Physical tools may degrade, not so much the others. Attitude, etc. possibly can get worse, but nowhere as likely, and apparently have not with Doty by everything we have read. She will start like Weber started, not causally from starting the year before, but because that is a spurious relationship to the real causal factors of experience, attitude, will and leadership at work. Her physical talents would have to degrade mightily to offset all that.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
She will start like Weber started, not causally from starting the year before, but because that is a spurious relationship to the real causal factors of experience, attitude, will and leadership at work. Her physical talents would have to degrade mightily to offset all that.

Badabing Badaboom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits