Geno quote regarding players after finishing their sophomore seasons... | The Boneyard

Geno quote regarding players after finishing their sophomore seasons...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In the great article about Megan Walker (in the CT Post), Geno said "Generally speaking, their sophomore year, they’re already starting to understand there’s a big difference between what I used to do and what I need to do,” he said. “Those that don’t get it by the time they’re sophomores or towards the end of their sophomore year, I have found, pretty much don’t get it.”

Just to set proper expectations neither Molly nor Kyla will come close to being starters, nor will they ever see significant time off the bench, nor will they see time on the court to spell starters in big games. What the will likely see is 10 minutes a game in blowouts, and the last 4 minutes in games where the score is a tad closer.

By all accounts, they are great young women, teammates and student athletes representing UCONN. I know we all will root like crazy for them, and we all HOPE they surprise Geno and give more than he thinks the probably can. Time will tell.

For Lexi, I hope she worked her butt off all summer and shows she's capable of more than many think... For Mikayla, I hope she's injury free and really starts to use her gifts to become a solid contributor for UCONN this season.

Reaction Score
I agree 110%. Our success rests on The Big 3........and the Big 3 when CD, Lou, and Pheesa are all gone in two years, Meghan, Christyn, and ONO. I think Mikayla, especially defensively, and Batouly, are the only players on the roster who could crack the lineup for meaningful minutes in big games. If they don't work out, we are going 6 deep with two freshman, albeit very talented ones.

Reaction Score
I agree about the playing time Molly and Kyla are likely to realize during the rest of their UConn careers. But of course these two did not come into the program with the skill-level, talent, or physical gifts of a top recruit like Megan and Christyn, both of whom were considered among the very best high-school ballers in the nation. So I think it's worth clarifying that Molly and Kyla were always destined to be role players at UConn, and it's not in any way because they "don't get it".

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree about the playing time Molly and Kyla are likely to realize during the rest of their UConn careers. But of course these two did not come into the program with the skill-level, talent, or physical gifts of a top recruit like Megan and Christyn, both of whom were considered among the very best high-school ballers in the nation. So I think it's worth clarifying that Molly and Kyla were always destined to be role players at UConn, and it's not in any way because they "don't get it".

Well said. Everyone cannot be a starter. While every player on every roster wants to start (as most of them did in high school), obviously that's not possible. EVERY team needs dedicated dependable role players. Players that will understand and embrace that role. Players that can be counted on to fill in for their starters and do whatever the coaching staff asks them to do. A dependable role player is just as important as a starter. A true “team” role player is not concerned with how much playing time they get, building their "brand", individual awards or statistics. They are only concerned with helping the team win basketball games and realize its goals and potential.

Few if any starters in Division 1 average 40 minutes a game. Unselfish and highly motivated role players will gladly and "seamlessly" fill in the substitution minutes needed thus enabling the starters to maximize their time and effort on the floor.

As others have already articulated, Irwin and Bent were never recruited to be starters. Neither one was in the TOP 100 of their class of 2016. They were always viewed as "role players". There were too many talented and more athletic players in front of them the last two years. The same can be said for this year and next.

Recent walk-ons (graduates) Tierney Lawlor and Brianna Polido were role players. They were never perceived to be/become starters. It was a role they embraced and took very seriously. They were ALWAYS very proud of their positions and status on the team, be it walk-ons or scholarship players. They worked as hard in practice as any other player on the team, and were ALWAYS ready to play when called upon. They're attitude and demeanor was always positive and exemplary.

They felt (and were) as much a part of the team as any other player. They each received ALL of the accolades, benefits, recognition and awards (rings) that the rest of the players did. At no time was their role or presence on the team ever dismissed, diminished or regarded as unimportant.

It's the same with Molly and Kyla. How much they play in the next two years depends on their continuing maturity and development, and the need for their services. IMO, I think some UConn fans are more concerned about their status on the team than they are. To my knowledge, to date, neither has complained about anything to anyone. As long as they remain eligible/active players, they will continue to be fan favorites. UConn Nation will continue to embrace them, root and cheer for them like the FAN-atics we are. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Totally true. I did not mean to imply anything different. But I've seen several comments in multiple threads where people not only floated the idea of Kyla being a starter, but also that she could give solid time off the bench to spell the starters.

What we saw from both of them at the end of their sophomore years is likely what we will see as they continue with their development... sure can get stronger, become better shooters or passers, but it's unfair to them for fans to think (or expect) that somehow they will become something substantially greater than what they are...

Reaction Score
Lexi has always shown to be a decent shooter from deep, even in the limited minutes she got last year she would hang around the three point line. I think if nothing else she could get a few minutes to spread the floor. With Williams and Walker starting its possible three point shooting could be lacking a little bit this year with the starting line up, maybe Lexi can move into that 7th or 8th man role, she is a guard/forward with good size.

Reaction Score
Totally true. I did not mean to imply anything different. But I've seen several comments in multiple threads where people not only floated the idea of Kyla being a starter, but also that she could give solid time off the bench to spell the starters.

What we saw from both of them at the end of their sophomore years is likely what we will see as they continue with their development... sure can get stronger, become better shooters or passers, but it's unfair to them for fans to think (or expect) that somehow they will become something substantially greater than what they are...

I remember how much Maria Conlon contributed her junior and senior years, so I always have hopes that players that haven't been critical performers in their first two years can still become valuable starters or bench players . So I'm hoping someone like Kyla can rise to the challenge and provide meaningful minutes. I don't think that is unfair for me to hope for that kind of result. The fact that she came to UConn leads me to believe that she wanted that challenge to become greater than she was.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would suggest that Geno’s comments on sophomores reflect his general experience, but not necessarily an absolute rule. Two exceptions to the rule are Saniya Chong & Kiah Stokes, both of whom didn’t come into their own until their senior year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I remember how much Maria Conlon contributed her junior and senior years, so I always have hopes that players that haven't been critical performers in their first two years can still become valuable starters or bench players . So I'm hoping someone like Kyla can rise to the challenge and provide meaningful minutes. I don't think that is unfair for me to hope for that kind of result. The fact that she came to UConn leads me to believe that she wanted that challenge to become greater than she was.
Hope>expect. That was my point.

Additionally, Maria Conlon did that because the alternative was Ashley Valley. The alternative for Kyla is Batouly or ONO.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
How was Meghan Gardler her first few years? She provided some good minutes her senior year I recall, punctuated by the "bobby pin game", but I dont know what she was like early on.

I can see Kyla giving similar quality minutes this year and next, but more focused on the inside. Meghan could rebound for sure but she also had a decent jumper and was more of a 2-3 IIRC

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
How was Meghan Gardler her first few years? She provided some good minutes her senior year I recall, punctuated by the "bobby pin game", but I dont know what she was like early on.

I can see Kyla giving similar quality minutes this year and next, but more focused on the inside. Meghan could rebound for sure but she also had a decent jumper and was more of a 2-3 IIRC
Great point but as a senior, Gardler had as her teammates:

Tina, Kaili, Jacquie Fernandez, Maya, Lorin Dixon, Tiff Hayes, Caroline Doty,Heather Buck, and Freshman Kelly Faris.

Starters were Tina, Maya, Tiff, and I think Doty and Faris. That left McLaren, Fernandez, Dixon, Buck and Gardler off the bench. It's similar to Maria Conlon when the only other option was Ashley Valley...

Reaction Score

Good point about Gardler. She was an end-of-bencher for 3 years. Irwin is a better and bigger player and is also a good shooter from outside. I can easily see her coming in and being physical on the glass in limited minutes.

Reaction Score
I wanted to respond to an earlier comment about Kiah Stokes not really coming into her own until her senior year. As a junior in the NCAA tournament, Kiah Stokes was the critical 6th player as she contributed 13 to 22 minutes in the 6 games. Whoever needed a rest, Kiah could fill in without changing the point margin. She had 41 rebounds in the tournament during her limited minutes. Against Stanford, she played 22 minutes and scored 9 points; she played 13 minutes against Notre Dame and pulled 8 rebounds. She never did what Geno wanted her to do, but she was essential to those last two championship runs. We could have used her the last two years. One of my favorite players.

Reaction Score
I am so glad you reminded everyone about Maria Conlon. She got the most out of her talent supporting DT in the back court. I still have hopes for Bent and Irwin to get some meaningful minutes to give a starter a rest. Their intelligence and maturity as time goes on will eventually give them a chance to go out and hold the line for maybe a minute or two at the end of a first half when starters are in foul trouble and don't want to risk getting another. That's what a good mature role player can do.

Reaction Score
Maria Conlon’s UCONN career can summed up in two words. Diana. Taurasi.

You can’t ever put Maria’s name in threads like this. While she got better and did a solid job for us, she had the luxury of playing next to the best player, best leader and best teammate that’s ever laced ‘me up.

Reaction Score
In the great article about Megan Walker (in the CT Post), Geno said "Generally speaking, their sophomore year, they’re already starting to understand there’s a big difference between what I used to do and what I need to do,” he said. “Those that don’t get it by the time they’re sophomores or towards the end of their sophomore year, I have found, pretty much don’t get it.”

Just to set proper expectations neither Molly nor Kyla will come close to being starters, nor will they ever see significant time off the bench, nor will they see time on the court to spell starters in big games. What the will likely see is 10 minutes a game in blowouts, and the last 4 minutes in games where the score is a tad closer.

By all accounts, they are great young women, teammates and student athletes representing UCONN. I know we all will root like crazy for them, and we all HOPE they surprise Geno and give more than he thinks the probably can. Time will tell.

For Lexi, I hope she worked her butt off all summer and shows she's capable of more than many think... For Mikayla, I hope she's injury free and really starts to use her gifts to become a solid contributor for UCONN this season.

Not having seen the Post article, this definitely smacks of motivation for Megan Walker.

He's basically saying "I haven't given up on you, but if you don't get it this year, you better believe I'm ready to move on".

As other posters have said, I don't think this is directed at any of the role players like Bent or Irwin who are not going to play meaningful minutes regardless of how well or not they "get it".

Reaction Score
I agree 110%. Our success rests on The Big 3...and the Big 3 when CD, Lou, and Pheesa are all gone in two years, Meghan, Christyn, and ONO. I think Mikayla, especially defensively, and Batouly, are the only players on the roster who could crack the lineup for meaningful minutes in big games. If they don't work out, we are going 6 deep with two freshman, albeit very talented ones.

UCBart--Not to be negative or a spoil sport and I agree with your speculation about 6 deep. That scares me. With the past health history of KLS and Danger, Batuoly and Coombs the track record seems to say: The more minutes played by these individuals the shorter their season may be. The point is; Geno needs good players to not only fill holes but to fill positions with talent and spirit. The BY at this time of the year is all about speculation. Maybe some work with the team and knows exactly what is happening but most speculate, as I am doing here.
Nevertheless, to run with 6 players for 1/2 or 1/3 of the season is a terrible place for any coach to be regardless of the quality and intensity and courage of your players.

Reaction Score
Not having seen the Post article, this definitely smacks of motivation for Megan Walker.

He's basically saying "I haven't given up on you, but if you don't get it this year, you better believe I'm ready to move on".

As other posters have said, I don't think this is directed at any of the role players like Bent or Irwin who are not going to play meaningful minutes regardless of how well or not they "get it".
I have been as anti-geno as any Uconn fan can be when it comes to PT for Molly, Irwin, Gordon, Coombs Batouly, and yes Walker last year; I believe/Believed that good coaches gave the new guys lots of PT early in the season to prepare them for the Final run. I believed Geno ONLY recruited players that had STAR potential, he doesn't. He has a mix of Stars, some with potential, role player,s and some just for practice. Unlike ND or USC many don't see any PT during anything except the AAC and even then not all games. Which is the right way?
If I knew the answers I'd be coaching BB not speculation trash.

Reaction Score
UCBart--Not to be negative or a spoil sport and I agree with your speculation about 6 deep. That scares me. With the past health history of KLS and Danger, Batuoly and Coombs the track record seems to say: The more minutes played by these individuals the shorter their season may be. The point is; Geno needs good players to not only fill holes but to fill positions with talent and spirit. The BY at this time of the year is all about speculation. Maybe some work with the team and knows exactly what is happening but most speculate, as I am doing here.
Nevertheless, to run with 6 players for 1/2 or 1/3 of the season is a terrible place for any coach to be regardless of the quality and intensity and courage of your players.

Oh, I didn’t say I wanted it to be like that, I just think it has to be like that.

Reaction Score
One of the first things a coach tells potential bench players, especially #’s 7,8, and below is that you don’t have to score a lot, but you have to defend and rebound. In other words you don’t have to help us a lot, just don’t hurt us. IMO, there is going to be playing time off the bench this year for the type of a player who in years past wasn’t needed, and that is a bench player who can come in and lock down one of the other team’s best perimeter scorers. The past few years Kia was that person, but I’m not sure who that is going to be, not only off the bench, but in the starting lineup as well. Just guessing IF Geno could find that player off his bench, not only would they get significant minutes, but he wouldn’t care if they went 0 for ? from the field. JMHO

Reaction Score
I wanted to respond to an earlier comment about Kiah Stokes not really coming into her own until her senior year. As a junior in the NCAA tournament, Kiah Stokes was the critical 6th player as she contributed 13 to 22 minutes in the 6 games. Whoever needed a rest, Kiah could fill in without changing the point margin. She had 41 rebounds in the tournament during her limited minutes. Against Stanford, she played 22 minutes and scored 9 points; she played 13 minutes against Notre Dame and pulled 8 rebounds. She never did what Geno wanted her to do, but she was essential to those last two championship runs. We could have used her the last two years. One of my favorite players.
Maybe the best rebounder and shot blocker in wcbb those 2 years. Better than Stewie, in my opinion. Offensively challenged though, and was a bit of a liability for offensive cohesiveness.

Reaction Score
I would suggest that Geno’s comments on sophomores reflect his general experience, but not necessarily an absolute rule. Two exceptions to the rule are Saniya Chong & Kiah Stokes, both of whom didn’t come into their own until their senior year.
Same holds true for Arica Carter and Sam Fuehring. After their soph season they were both a mess and unproductive. Arica redshirted and had a terrific Jr year. Sam came on like a bat out of hell and was a completely different player as a junior. Both should have tremendous senior seasons on both ends of the floor.

Reaction Score
The worst thing we can do is put a ceiling on a player. I hate hearing well Kyla is only going to be blank, or Molly is only going to be blank. I do understand looking at a players growth over two season and trying to predict players impact on the team for her last two.
I hope all the girls play well. I really have higher hopes than most for Kyla. She has shown me flashes. Maybe she can get quicker, stronger etc. I’m rooting for her!

Reaction Score
Oh, I didn’t say I wanted it to be like that, I just think it has to be like that.
Oh, I hope I didn't infer that that was YOUR choice--l was commiserating with your thoughts of 6 player rotation. Again, the more limiting the number of players actually getting PT the greater the probability of related physical issues developing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom