Geno quote regarding players after finishing their sophomore seasons... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno quote regarding players after finishing their sophomore seasons...

Reaction Score
The worst thing we can do is put a ceiling on a player. I hate hearing well Kyla is only going to be blank, or Molly is only going to be blank. I do understand looking at a players growth over two season and trying to predict players impact on the team for her last two.
I hope all the girls play well. I really have higher hopes than most for Kyla. She has shown me flashes. Maybe she can get quicker, stronger etc. I’m rooting for her!

I don't know exactly when Geno said this but said it he did: He spends his time and effort developing Frosh, then Sophs, minimally Juniors because they either know the system by then or never, Seniors are expected to lead.
I tend to agree with your comment about not selling Molly and Irwin short and they are such good kids it's tough to think they won't be all we expected them to be, but, their progression has left a lot for us to desire. The above-paraphrased announcement by Geno tends to say this is their make or break year.

Reaction Score
One of the first things a coach tells potential bench players, especially #’s 7,8, and below is that you don’t have to score a lot, but you have to defend and rebound. In other words you don’t have to help us a lot, just don’t hurt us. IMO, there is going to be playing time off the bench this year for the type of a player who in years past wasn’t needed, and that is a bench player who can come in and lock down one of the other team’s best perimeter scorers. The past few years Kia was that person, but I’m not sure who that is going to be, not only off the bench, but in the starting lineup as well. Just guessing IF Geno could find that player off his bench, not only would they get significant minutes, but he wouldn’t care if they went 0 for ? from the field. JMHO

I'd be shocked of Megan Walker does not fill Kia's role as defender, rebounder, and scorer under the boards. Maybe I'm expecting a GabbKia progression from Ms Walker. If Irwin had the speed and lateral movement ability with her toughness (ala Shea Ralph) she'd make a place for herself with lock-down defense.

Reaction Score
Maria Conlon’s UCONN career can summed up in two words. Diana. Taurasi.

You can’t ever put Maria’s name in threads like this. While she got better and did a solid job for us, she had the luxury of playing next to the best player, best leader and best teammate that’s ever laced ‘me up.
While DT made that team look better than the individual parts: Maria Conlon was no slouch and an excellent 3 point shooter, a better than average PG, had ice in her veins when shooting needed FT's. No she was not the fastest one on the team but she certainly was not the slowest regardless of Geno's comment to the contrary. Among her many assets was that she one of the very few Connecticut born and bred Uconn husky i.e. a home-grown Husky. The year after she graduated Geno said: "I never thought I'd miss Maria Conlon" but he did.
DT's career cannot be summed up Maria Conlon however, Maria gave Uconn a solid tandem.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The worst thing we can do is put a ceiling on a player. I hate hearing well Kyla is only going to be blank, or Molly is only going to be blank. I do understand looking at a players growth over two season and trying to predict players impact on the team for her last two.
I hope all the girls play well. I really have higher hopes than most for Kyla. She has shown me flashes. Maybe she can get quicker, stronger etc. I’m rooting for her!

Spot on, JG. I hate to read dissing or dismissive posts about our players. I know the authors don’t intend harm, but why assume that someone cannot grow?

Reaction Score
I agree about the playing time Molly and Kyla are likely to realize during the rest of their UConn careers. But of course these two did not come into the program with the skill-level, talent, or physical gifts of a top recruit like Megan and Christyn, both of whom were considered among the very best high-school ballers in the nation. So I think it's worth clarifying that Molly and Kyla were always destined to be role players at UConn, and it's not in any way because they "don't get it".
Not to be harsh ( actually, I am being harsh ), but no one seems to want to identify with the conclusion that the recruiting class of Molly and Kyla ( Crystal, of course, is brilliant ) was a disappointment ( " failure?") by UCONN standards. Unless we conclude that one super star and two garbage time players represents a good year. If UCONN did that 4 years in a row, we would start four superstars and one mediocre bench player, with no useful depth whatsoever. Would that be enough to win the NCAA tournament? If it was Breanna, Bird, Turasi, and Charles it would likely do. But that would never be the core four. Don't get me wrong, please. Molly and Kyla are wonderful young women and athletes. But there were better players who chose not to attend UCONN that year. I wonder if anyone knows why?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
........ But there were better players who chose not to attend UCONN that year. I wonder if anyone knows why?

1539988435363.png

Free choice?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
That is too easy and generic an answer. And one from which UCONN can learn nothing. Might as well just
say, " bad luck." Or, the phone lines were down.
Phone lines were down! Ha! Good one, but you are showing your age now, Longtime.

Reaction Score
Phone lines were down! Ha! Good one, but you are showing your age now, Longtime.
My age cannot be hidden, you are correct. I was alive when Mozart was still playing in the salons of Vienna. That's why my " handle " is " longtime."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom