Geno Puts It On Pheesaaaa | The Boneyard

Geno Puts It On Pheesaaaa

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Need 18-19 a night from her he says if we are to have the year we are used to. In the short video.

“We’re going into the practices where we know for certain that we have three players that are experienced, that have played a lot of basketball in Connecticut — Lou and Phee and Crystal — and then beyond that we probably have to identify who those other people are,” Auriemma said. “I think it’ll start emerging at some point in the next week or so. We’ll get an idea of who can do what. It’s one of those years where there’s not a lot of certainty so that’s kind of unusual.”

UConn Women's Basketball Begins Practice, Search For Starters

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Napheesa is the least of our worries. She will get 18-19 on an off night. She will average at least 22 and make first team All American.

Scoring will not be an issue. Defending the interior, rebounding and developing the depth to play a pressing, full court defensive game are my concerns.

Reaction Score
Napheesa is the least of our worries. She will get 18-19 on an off night. She will average at least 22 and make first team All American.

Scoring will not be an issue. Defending the interior, rebounding and developing the depth to play a pressing, full court defensive game are my concerns.
We might be a bit undersized downlow but we do have BIG guards. Lou & Megan are both more than capable of helping Pheesa on the boards. Foul trouble of Pheesa would be my biggest concern. Lou might be our best player but Pheesa might be our most valuable bc of our lack of any inside presence behind her.

Reaction Score
Napheesa is a joy to watch!! I find it hard to watch live games, unless the matchup is a big one (like UConn vs ND, Texas, etc.). I am a YouTube junkie, and UConn has a great YouTube channel that posts highlights (honestly the best one for any program. ND was getting one minute highlight videos, while UConn will get every single scored bucket lol). Her highlights aren't flashy, but she gets it done. There's a YouTube channel who created two 40 minute long videos of Maya's freshman and sophomore years at UConn. They recently put one of Gabby's senior year, full highlights too even defense. I hope that they will put Napheesa's and KLS' senior year on there. This season is so exciting. And the draft afterwards is also exciting

Reaction Score
I actually think Lou will take over Gabby's high post spot and either pass to Pheesa, drive, or take her own 3 and be lethal. Pheesa will be a beast again being by herself down low with MW on the wing doing corner 3s and crashing in to get rebounds. Danger will be probing, dishing, and taking her own 3s. Now the question is whether ONO will be on the weak side of Pheesa taking up space and doing put backs or CW on the perimeter running around to get her shots and tiring guards.

Reaction Score
Need 18-19 a night from her he says if we are to have the year we are used to. In the short video.

“We’re going into the practices where we know for certain that we have three players that are experienced, that have played a lot of basketball in Connecticut — Lou and Phee and Crystal — and then beyond that we probably have to identify who those other people are,” Auriemma said. “I think it’ll start emerging at some point in the next week or so. We’ll get an idea of who can do what. It’s one of those years where there’s not a lot of certainty so that’s kind of unusual.”

I don't think Geno is worried about the offense; he has Walker, Danger, KLS, Phee, CW, ONO,not to mention the Sophs and a Jr or 2.
I like another Youtube Junkie watched the 2014 championship game against Syracuse last evening. Phee got a lot of time with Tuck, Moriah, Stew, Kia. Geno trusted her then so I can't believe his trust in her has waned. Gabby, it would appear by watching, didn't get near as many minutes. The precision of that team was pure poetry. If I could write a sonnet, in my bonnet, I'd write uponet.
Geno's last words "not a lot of certainty so that is kind of unusual isn't totally true. Each year except with his Fab 5 has been, at the start, somewhat uncertain in new personnel. This year has new, not so new, and some juniors that are question marks, at least to me.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We might be a bit undersized downlow but we do have BIG guards. Lou & Megan are both more than capable of helping Pheesa on the boards. Foul trouble of Pheesa would be my biggest concern. Lou might be our best player but Pheesa might be our most valuable bc of our lack of any inside presence behind her.

Hope you are wrong on the inside presence thing. Kayla and ONO better be contributors and Camara better start earning her way too.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno is worried about the offense; he has Walker, Danger, KLS, Phee, CW, ONO,not to mention the Sophs and a Jr or 2.
I like another Youtube Junkie watched the 2014 championship game against Syracuse last evening. Phee got a lot of time with Tuck, Moriah, Stew, Kia. Geno trusted her then so I can't believe his trust in her has waned. Gabby, it would appear by watching, didn't get near as many minutes. The precision of that team was pure poetry. If I could write a sonnet, in my bonnet, I'd write uponet.
Geno's last words "not a lot of certainty so that is kind of unusual isn't totally true. Each year except with his Fab 5 has been, at the start, somewhat uncertain in new personnel. This year has new, not so new, and some juniors that are question marks, at least to me.
B'way, back in high school I had a very excellent teacher for an English literature class. I was a typical high school brat who was too often more concerned with extracurricular activities than with my studies. This teacher always told us that poetry was , in his opinion, the most difficult writing to master. After reading your efforts I know, after all these years, that he was correct! ;)

Reaction Score
B'way, back in high school I had a very excellent teacher for an English literature class. I was a typical high school brat who was too often more concerned with extracurricular activities than with my studies. This teacher always told us that poetry was , in his opinion, the most difficult writing to master. After reading your efforts I know, after all these years, that he was correct! ;)

Thank you, I'm still giggling. I appreciate a person with humor and sees the humor intended. Thank you Funny.

Reaction Score
I actually think Lou will take over Gabby's high post spot and either pass to Pheesa, drive, or take her own 3 and be lethal. Pheesa will be a beast again being by herself down low with MW on the wing doing corner 3s and crashing in to get rebounds. Danger will be probing, dishing, and taking her own 3s. Now the question is whether ONO will be on the weak side of Pheesa taking up space and doing put backs or CW on the perimeter running around to get her shots and tiring guards.

That's not her game! Williams was so successful in that spot because she was so explosive and could take you off the bounce and get to the rim. Samuelson is a lot of things, but an explosive athlete is not one of them, she is a shooter! She is at her best coming off screens and hitting spot up jump shots. I think Walker will be the best fit to replace Williams at the high post.

Reaction Score
That's not her game! Williams was so successful in that spot because she was so explosive and could take you off the bounce and get to the rim. Samuelson is a lot of things, but an explosive athlete is not one of them, she is a shooter! She is at her best coming off screens and hitting spot up jump shots. I think Walker will be the best fit to replace Williams at the high post.
Walker doesn't have the passing ability or court vision. Tuck and Dolson occupied that role before Gabby so it isn't just about Gabby's athleticism. It's about a role in the offense. Walker or Williams can take that explosive piece. Its the high post decisionmaking that I predict will be done by Lou. It's also a next step in her development as a basketball player.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know where KL and Pheesa are on the UConn’s all time scoring list? They have to be near or in the Top 10, right? Scoring should not be a problem

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
We all know what Pheesa and Lou can do. It's their senior year, so I can't wait to see what else they will add to their game. I am looking forward to watching Batouly, Christyn, Megan, Mikayla and Olivia. I believe this will be another amazing and fun season. I also believe this is the year for #12 :).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agree that Lou is not as explosive as Gabby, but she doesn’t have to be because defenders can’t lay-off Lou like they could with Gabby. Giving Lou an open jumper at the foul line is tantamount to giving her a layup. With defenders having to play Lou tight, even Lou can get past them to the basket with her long strides and sweeping layups with either hand.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Does anyone know where KL and Pheesa are on the UConn’s all time scoring list? They have to be near or in the Top 10, right? Scoring should not be a problem
Good question! Off the top of my head, I'm not sure, but I think both project to finish in the top 5 or so. There's a logjam around Kerry, Nykesha, and Kaleena. Lou and Pheesa should pass that group. Maya is out of reach, and Stewie probably is as well, but Tina could possibly be caught.

The Media Guide from last year is unavailable; the new one has not been loaded to the website yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree that Lou is not as explosive as Gabby, but she doesn’t have to be because defenders can’t lay-off Lou like they could with Gabby. Giving Lou an open jumper at the foul line is tantamount to giving her a layup. With defenders having to play Lou tight, even Lou can get past them to the basket with her long strides and sweeping layups with either hand.

This is fun to speculate about, OD. I see your points. Lou can also use her height to see what's happening around her--as Stef did, and Lou's a great passer. The question is: putting Lou and Pheesa in close would lead to defenses packing the center, whereas Lou was able to pull the defenses apart on the wing, so who'd be the reliable long-distance shooter(s) to force the opponents out? Kia and Crystal played the role last season; who's the Kia of this year? Christyn?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is fun to speculate about, OD. I see your points. Lou can also use her height to see what's happening around her--as Stef did, and Lou's a great passer. The question is: putting Lou and Pheesa in close would lead to defenses packing the center, whereas Lou was able to pull the defenses apart on the wing, so who'd be the reliable long-distance shooter(s) to force the opponents out? Kia and Crystal played the role last season; who's the Kia of this year? Christyn?
If UConn goes small (Lou, Pheesa, MW, Crystal & CW) they are a much better shooting team than last year with either Gabby and/or Z in the lineup. Effectively, the Huskies could place 5 deadly 3-pt shooters on the floor at the same time.

In addition, all 5 players in UConn’s offense are constantly moving. Pheesa could start out in the low post and then flash out to the corner. Same with Lou at the high post. The versatility of UConn’s players coupled with the brilliance of Geno’s motion offense make defending the Huskies a nightmare for opposing teams and coaches.

Reaction Score
There's a YouTube channel who created two 40 minute long videos of Maya's freshman and sophomore years at UConn. They recently put one of Gabby's senior year, full highlights too even defense. I hope that they will put Napheesa's and KLS' senior year on there. This season is so exciting. And the draft afterwards is also exciting
What’s the name of the other channel?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If UConn goes small (Lou, Pheesa, MW, Crystal & CW) they are a much better shooting team than last year with either Gabby and/or Z in the lineup. Effectively, the Huskies could place 5 deadly 3-pt shooters on the floor at the same time.
Last year's team shot .533, best in the nation. (Baylor was second at .507.)

Last year's team shot .400 from the arc, 4th in the nation. (Oregon State led at .404.)

Last year's team shot .769 from the FT line, 15th in the nation. (Evansville led at .820. UConn led the nation at .800 in 2015-16.)

Last year's team gave up .336 shooting, 4th best in the nation. (Baylor led at .325.)

If we improve our shooting stats, we could be really good! We have Lou and no one else does.

Reaction Score
Walker doesn't have the passing ability or court vision. Tuck and Dolson occupied that role before Gabby so it isn't just about Gabby's athleticism. It's about a role in the offense. Walker or Williams can take that explosive piece. Its the high post decisionmaking that I predict will be done by Lou. It's also a next step in her development as a basketball player.

So you are going to make the best 3 point shooter in America play inside arc?

Reaction Score

Samuelson currently has 1712 career points, which places her at 15th all-time currently; Collier has 1609 career pts. to date, which puts her in 19th place currently (which now includes her teammate ahead of her). This is based on the 2017 Media Guide, p63. They both have the opportunity to finish in the Top 5 all-time, ahead of Nykesha Sales/KML, both tied for 4th at 2178 pts.

Reaction Score
So you are going to make the best 3 point shooter in America play inside arc?
NO! That is not my post at all. I said she would be the decision maker out there. Maybe I should say Lou will be at the high arc to calm everyone down. Lou could start between foul line and the arc and then decide what is best. Step back and drain a 3, drive, or dump off a pass to Pheesa.

Reaction Score

I agree with Geno. We have three "knowns". Everyone else is unknown including Walker.
I don't agree with Geno that we'll find out in practice. The three "knowns" can compete in the tough games; the others ????????????

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Maya is out of reach, and Stewie probably is as well, but Tina could possibly be caught.

It's an interesting side question, to me, just how long Maya's record will last. I think it will be a very long time.

A lot of factors are working to protect this record, especially once you get further out into the post-Geno era.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As Of March 9, 2018.
It is official, UConn now has four current players with 1,500 or more points. The three-game AAC tournament gave the Core Four of Katie Lou, Kia, Gabby and Napheesa plenty of scoring opportunities. As score they did, combining to outscore three opponents by 132-30 in the just 1st halves. ;) Here is the latest scoring list with the UConn greats who will be passed next:

14. Stef Dolson (1,797)
15. Ann Strother (1,699)
16. Shea Ralph (1,678)
17. Katie Lou (1,638)
18. Barbara Turner (1,629)
19. Kia Nurse (1,615)
20. Swin Cash (1,583)
21. Wendy Davis (1,552)
22. Jen Rizzotti (1,540)
23. Cathy Bochain (1,534)
24. Moriah Jefferson (1,532)
25. Gabby Williams (1,510)