Geno Postgame | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno Postgame

Reaction Score
I think some of this is a bunker mentality brought on with the covid situation. It couldn't have happened for Uconn in a better year than having 6 freshmen and no seniors. Hard not to bond with your teammates. coaches, and support staff when that is all you have. And great for our two foreigners - hard to be homesick when you are completely surrounded by best buddies.

Not discounting the personalities and chemistry which I think would have been great regardless, but add in lock down and it either explodes or it thrives - and it is definitely thriving.
We do have a senior but she is a high school senior

Reaction Score
Duffy is so impressive that I think she should be on the short list of candidates when Geno retires(but we won’t talk about that).
I like her too and given the fact Shea has not chosen to become a head coach anywhere else her credentials are better...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno has and is proving to be an outstanding educator and coach. His standard of excellence has not changed. But he has adapted his methods to achieve the same results.

An educator and a coach must always and continually self evaluate their methods. It goes with the territory. And as we age, we all have a tendency to mellow out.

You could hear it in his voice. He truly loves and enjoys this team and their energy.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This was one of Geno's greatest public appearences
and one of his greatest coaching jobs
An amazing experience for us, both

That part of the talk in the middle, where he spoke about not changing what they do
is false modesty, contradicted by what he said in an earlier conference:
that the team has begun to assimilate what the coaches are trying to demonstrate
with regard team defense and its nice to see the players executing what he and the staff
has been working on. (a paraphrase of his words)

And its getting more effective by the day; scary for other teams that have to watch film
Remember, it wasn't long ago that he characterized the team defense as poor...It ain't poor now.

And the transformation of individual players: amazing...Nika and Aayliyah are no longer foul machines
Christyn's head has been turned around 100%...better than any psychiatrist in that amount of time
And what a counter-intuitive approach: get her to focus on D by drawing the assignment of guarding the opponent's best scorer...who would have thunk it...that that was the key to relaxing her on offense.
(Did you see that snazzy behind the back drive...and not just showboating, opened the court).

And the incredulous progress of a group of 18 and 19 year olds; something he did't really believe in or trust. But there were no options; especially when Anna went down...It was the kids or zip.

And lastly, his essential honesty and openness to genuine human feelings...His description of his reaction to the celebration, which if it didn't bring tears to his eyes, brought them to mine..This guy has evolved into a grandfatherly figure; long past his youth, but able to relate and appreciate the joyfulness of youth.

A great moment, a great tourney, a great gentleman.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The way Geno clearly loves this group of kids and who he has coming in for next years recruiting class as well, I cannot see him retiring within the next 4-5 years (health dependant)

Reaction Score
I think some of this is a bunker mentality brought on with the covid situation. It couldn't have happened for Uconn in a better year than having 6 freshmen and no seniors. Hard not to bond with your teammates. coaches, and support staff when that is all you have. And great for our two foreigners - hard to be homesick when you are completely surrounded by best buddies.

Not discounting the personalities and chemistry which I think would have been great regardless, but add in lock down and it either explodes or it thrives - and it is definitely thriving.
Ahh, I think that would be 3 foreigners as I sip my Canadian Mist. (Yes, it's cheap, but nice and smooth...)

Reaction Score
Geno has and is proving to be an outstanding educator and coach. His standard of excellence has not changed. But he has adapted his methods to achieve the same results.

An educator and a coach must always and continually self evaluate their methods. It goes with the territory. And as we age, we all have a tendency to mellow out.

You could hear it in his voice. He truly loves and enjoys this team and their energy.

+1

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Amid the jubilance Monday night at Mohegan Sun Arena, UConn having won the Big East Conference tournament with a 73-39 victory over Marquette — the latest accomplishment in a season that has required patience with seven freshmen and more COVID testing than the White House — Auriemma had a comedic update on Bueckers.

"She was bitching about playing time again today, just so I go on the record saying it two days in a row," Auriemma said in mock annoyance of Bueckers, who was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player just moments before.

"She came off (yesterday) and checked the stat sheet and she goes, 'You owe me two minutes tomorrow because I didn't get to play my average.' ... I love her and everything, but there's something not quite right about her."

Reaction Score
I thought Geno’s presser was remarkable. He was choking up the whole time. He’s clearly moved by his freshmen (and their audacity: “Paige told me this morning, ‘I’m the best defensive player in the country’.” SMH). Says he has had to change his way of coaching - for the better.

You can tell Geno knows something’s up. Something we’re going to like. A lot.
Don't believe I've ever seen Geno so emotional in a presser.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom