Geno Postgame | The Boneyard

Geno Postgame

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What was interesting to me wasn’t the narrative coming into the game that Marquette was really proud to hold UConn to a season low of 63 points last Monday and only lost by 10. Then Geno’s comment during this presser about Marquette players not thinking that this UConn team was tough. They proved how tough they are. Normally, Geno does. Tom mention something like that unless it really irks him. So I am curious if we can get Meg Duffy’s presser to hear her thoughts after this beat down where nothing worked.

I am also elated for Liv making the All-Tournament team (with CW and Paige as.MOP) and dominating Marquette defensively who happened to have the Co-defensive POY in Selena Lott who couldn’t stop Paige or CW! Point proven I say!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What was interesting to me wasn’t the narrative coming into the game that Marquette was really proud to hold UConn to a season low of 63 points last Monday and only lost by 10. Then Geno’s comment during this presser about Marquette players not thinking that this UConn team was tough. They proved how tough they are. Normally, Geno does. Tom mention something like that unless it really irks him. So I am curious if we can get Meg Duffy’s presser to hear her thoughts after this beat down where nothing worked.

I am also elated for Liv making the All-Tournament team (with CW and Paige as.MOP) and dominating Marquette defensively who happened to have the Co-defensive POY in Selena Lott who couldn’t stop Paige or CW! Point proven I say!
I found that comment about Marquette surprising since in that game, we out rebounded them by double digits.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Here’s the full transcript of all 3 pressers so you can read the direct quotes.https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.si...ents/2021/3/8/0308_Game10.pdf&date=1615262565

I too, have regularly been impressed by Coach Duffy and I really hope that Marquette keeps increasing her pay to keep her the way all the Big East teams have for the Men’s Coaches. This league needs to keep these good coaches if they truly want to make inroads on the P5 and she’s young, smart, articulate and poised. Thankfully ND chose Ivey and we get Duffy!

Reaction Score
I thought Geno’s presser was remarkable. He was choking up the whole time. He’s clearly moved by his freshmen (and their audacity: “Paige told me this morning, ‘I’m the best defensive player in the country’.” SMH). Says he has had to change his way of coaching - for the better.

You can tell Geno knows something’s up. Something we’re going to like. A lot.

Reaction Score
Duffy is so impressive that I think she should be on the short list of candidates when Geno retires(but we won’t talk about that).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

These quotes from Geno are just precious. These are the things that energize and motivate him; nothing is more rewarding to him than seeing the young women on his team grow and reap the rewards of hard work. He feeds off their joy and exuberance. It's a lesson we can all take.

Reaction Score
I think he is really starting to use the "grandfather" card to his advantage to interact with his players and get them to listen.

It also appears he has managed to find players that have a similar sarcastic sense of humor like him so they can do a give and take without taking it personal. Paige touting her defensive skills and counting minutes is hilarious. Especially since I think CD counts the minutes...

I really haven't seen a team aspect of joy and regard for Geno since 2016.... I think certain players in the last few years had it but not the whole team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
These quotes from Geno are just precious. These are the things that energize and motivate him; nothing is more rewarding to him than seeing the young women on his team grow and reap the rewards of hard work. He feeds off their joy and exuberance. It's a lesson we can all take.

Thank you and well said. As a long-time poster here there is nothing more dispiriting than reading posts that, intentionally or not, diminish what these young players accomplished.

Like Geno, I found myself feeding off their joy and exuberance.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think some of this is a bunker mentality brought on with the covid situation. It couldn't have happened for Uconn in a better year than having 6 freshmen and no seniors. Hard not to bond with your teammates. coaches, and support staff when that is all you have. And great for our two foreigners - hard to be homesick when you are completely surrounded by best buddies.

Not discounting the personalities and chemistry which I think would have been great regardless, but add in lock down and it either explodes or it thrives - and it is definitely thriving.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom