Geno postgame Oregon | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno postgame Oregon

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Geno is a known commodity and if he was a monster he would have been out decades ago. So I think that is a low probability scenario.

Team dynamics are more than the head coach, or even the staff and program for that matter.

These young ladies struggle with all the variables the rest of us face, but in a more confined environment at a younger age. Off-the-court variables could be anything including team chemistry, race, romance, economics, academics, difficult personalities, substance abuse - you pick-em.

The fact that these women are sewn together in a pod largely isolated from the larger world, especially in the Covid era dealing with mostly 11 teammates (maybe fewer with injuries) of different ages/backgrounds/profiles/personalities dawn to dusk is a hugely challenging proving ground for chemistry.

The college landscape is littered with recent train wreck examples where highly skilled people could not get along to function well as a team.
Do you see anything in my post where I mentioned Geno is a monster or anything that even mentions Geno or the coaches.? I did not speculate on what happened. I just wrote what I read. How you read all that into my post is puzzling to me. I don't care what happened.

Reaction Score
Do you see anything in my post where I mentioned Geno is a monster or anything that even mentions Geno or the coaches.? I did not speculate on what happened. I just wrote what I read. How you read all that into my post is puzzling to me. I don't care what happened.
My error & apology.

I hit the wrong thread for quote.

Reaction Score
Backdrop: Like the men, women's bb is trending toward offense. It's not unusual to see 80, 90 and even 100 pts scored.That doesn't diminish the importance of defense holding a team in there when they're missing or until they light up the scoreboard.

Uconn has been without 30 pts from Paige and Azzi. There may not be a bench in Am that can make up those pts every game.

And Monday it was worse, losing CW's additional 15. Gino has said we should be scoring 75 per game. If you add CW's average scoring to the final 72-59, Uconn would have had 74!

Further, I want to add that Uconn hasn't lost to an "unranked" team. GA Tech was under the radar until they beat Uconn. A solid team unnoticed who is now #18. Unranked OR was without their 2 best scorers. They returned last week and beat 2 top-10 teams, and I predict they'll highjump right into the middle of rankings on Monday.

Come end of February may we do the same. I think our existing crew, if they can cut turnovers in half, will look more like a Uconn team.

Reaction Score
Backdrop: Like the men, women's bb is trending toward offense. It's not unusual to see 80, 90 and even 100 pts scored.That doesn't diminish the importance of defense holding a team in there when they're missing or until they light up the scoreboard.

Uconn has been without 30 pts from Paige and Azzi. There may not be a bench in Am that can make up those pts every game.

And Monday it was worse, losing CW's additional 15. Gino has said we should be scoring 75 per game. If you add CW's average scoring to the final 72-59, Uconn would have had 74!

Further, I want to add that Uconn hasn't lost to an "unranked" team. GA Tech was under the radar until they beat Uconn. A solid team unnoticed who is now #18. Unranked OR was without their 2 best scorers. They returned last week and beat 2 top-10 teams, and I predict they'll highjump right into the middle of rankings on Monday.

Come end of February may we do the same. I think our existing crew, if they can cut turnovers in half, will look more like a Uconn team.
I understand what you're saying.
Was it a surprise that we didn't shoot well? Have these players shot well all year? E, Nika, Dorka, Liv from outside, AE.
An analogy for me would be losing your queen and maybe a rook early in a chess game and then continuing to play the game as if you had those pieces. Wouldn't you play that game differently? Everyone knows that basketball can be played many different ways. It's tough when you've created a dynasty and you've done things pretty much the same way for a decade or so.
The kids would love it. They would know that you were trying everything and that you had their back!

Reaction Score
You should read the latest comments from Poffenbarger. She said she never felt accepted by her teammates. Maybe it goes deeper than just coaching.
Is that the first time we’re hearing that from a UConn transfer. Was that something we heard from Hunter or Gordon? I don’t believe I ever heard anything from Coombs regarding not getting along with her teammates. Possibly a realistic look in the mirror might be the answer for some of the issues she was dealing with. Seen it before working with young adults.

Reaction Score
If that was Geno falling on his sword in defense of the team, I'm Muffett McGraw.

He spoke the truth- the players aren't getting it done.

That's the simple bottom line. They, collectively, aren't as good as we hoped, yet.

Paige should get an NIL deal from a cosmetic company- she covers a ton of blemishes.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Paige should get an NIL deal from a cosmetic company- she covers a ton of blemishes.
Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

Reaction Score
If that was Geno falling on his sword in defense of the team, I'm Muffett McGraw.

He spoke the truth- the players aren't getting it done.

That's the simple bottom line. They, collectively, aren't as good as we hoped, yet.

I agree with that!
A leader doesn’t need to throw players under the bus. A leader is 100% supportive. Period. He is with these young women 24/7/365. He doesn’t have to throw out these quips with 5 meanings. IMO not necessary or even proper. IMO a leader doesn’t address his/her group through the media.
Well Geno does it this way. It make his pressers more fun. Blah blah. Bull Hockey! Right now he’s sounds like a crank. Mr Wilson.

sun

Reaction Score
Geno is a 1st class tight rope walker.
He needs to balance his opinions with public expectations, as well as fan & media scrutiny of the program.
He's responsible for results by virtue of the fact that he takes credit for the wins, therefore he must also take some blame for at least some of the losses.
Of course he doesn't get blamed for everything and neither can he take credit for everything.
But he does make most of the big decisions including who gets recruited.
It's a public team, he's on the public payroll, and he gets paid big bucks to answer to the media.
So he walks the tight rope the best that he can since he's been doing it long enough.
He's always been pretty honest with all of his answers he's like an open book.
There are way more people & players loving him then hating him. so he must still be doing a good job.

Reaction Score
Was it a surprise that we didn't shoot well? Have these players shot well all year? E, Nika, Dorka, Liv from outside, AE.
An analogy for me would be losing your queen and maybe a rook early in a chess game and then continuing to play the game as if you had those pieces. Wouldn't you play that game differently? Everyone knows that basketball can be played many different ways. It's tough when you've created a dynasty and you've done things pretty much the same way for a decade or so.
The kids would love it. They would know that you were trying everything and that you had their back!

Would you play that chess game differently if you knew that at some point you would get your queen and rook back on the board?

Reaction Score
You should read the latest comments from Poffenbarger. She said she never felt accepted by her teammates. Maybe it goes deeper than just coaching.
you mean those IG photos over the Summer were just a fake filter? :eek:

Reaction Score
so, with some help from mom, throwing the coaching staff and the entire university under the bus was not enough. Now she throws shade at the players who didn't make her feel special enough....hmmmm

I don't remember this being a problem last year. It seemed to me the players went out of their way to get poff shots and I would guess they must have went out of their way to welcome her as well.

hmmm...sounds like somebody is used to being treated special and as a princess and when she didn't get the red carpet treatment, she took her ball and went home and now bashing everybody else as being a 'meanie'.

One the one hand, I wish poff all the best at Ark, and on the other hand, I'm as happy as she is that she is gone!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You mean play checkers. :oops:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One the one hand, I wish poff all the best at Ark, and on the other hand, I'm as happy as she is that she is gone!
Yeah, good luck to her, thoughts and prayers, say hi to your mother and don't let the door hit you...

Reaction Score
so, with some help from mom, throwing the coaching staff and the entire university under the bus was not enough. Now she throws shade at the players who didn't make her feel special enough....hmmmm

I don't remember this being a problem last year. It seemed to me the players went out of their way to get poff shots and I would guess they must have went out of their way to welcome her as well.

hmmm...sounds like somebody is used to being treated special and as a princess and when she didn't get the red carpet treatment, she took her ball and went home and now bashing everybody else as being a 'meanie'.

Wouldn't read too much into her quotes. It's hard to fully understand what is said when you're not getting the full response or context and just whatever little snippets the reporter wants to write without any follow up or ability to go deeper or clarify comments. That's why it's great that one of the press members that covers UConn records the full interviews for us to see rather than whatever Alexa or Carl can fit in 140 character tweets or a blurb in a newspaper that can't be any longer than 200 words.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't read too much into her quotes. It's hard to fully understand what is said when you're not getting the full response or context and just whatever little snippets the reporter wants to write without any follow up or ability to go deeper or clarify comments. That's why it's great that one of the press members that covers UConn records the full interviews for us to see rather than whatever Alexa or Carl can fit in 140 character tweets or a blurb in a newspaper that can't be any longer than 200 words.
true but whatever was said certainly wasn't complimentary and certainly was derogatory on some level. anyway, as I said when she left, it is good the she leave ASAP. Once a player isnt happy being where they are at, then it is additional by subtraction for them to leave as soon as possible. best for all parties involved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom