Geno postgame Oregon | The Boneyard

Geno postgame Oregon

Reaction Score
Thank you.

Not sure I heard any answers to the obvious questions we all have.

I'm reading Geno as falling on his sword in defense of the team, deflecting scrutiny by offering up poor coaching to the media as the answer to the Huskies malaise.

As he says you don't win when you can't shoot and turn the ball over repeatedly. He also tells us they shoot 20 of 24 treys in practice but can't buy one at game time.

Worthy of his HOF character - taking the heat off the team - admirable a classy posture. But after watching weeks of this malaise and hearing how talented we still are, how we practice well and things well be better when x, y or z return I wonder if the issue is a non-basketball one (and I bite my lip for saying so, but the obvious answers don't equate). Hope not as those are often harder to heal than a stress fracture and, if so, it would be kept within the clubhouse insiders but as Geno has now said many times publicly he can't fix whatever it is.

I watch, I go, I'm a fan and I miss the culture of play I've been treated to for so long.

Reaction Score
We are spoiled. Were missing the grit of a former coach. Playing a short bench has hurt our intensity. That will change soon. The good news is ahead of us.

Reaction Score
Geno is one of the most articulate coaches out there. While I have followed him for many years, his subtle and clever way of speaking usually has multiple meanings for both the public and his players. If anyone out there can always translate all of the goals of his comments, they are better than me.

Reaction Score
Sounded like a guy who isn't used to failure of this magnitude. This isn't playing as hard as you can on a superb level against a team as good as you are and losing on a buzzer beater. Yeah, beating up on 3 mediocre BE squads can give you a false sense of accomplishment.
Makes the wake up call that much more painful.
But they have to have a chance to make plays, make shots, find something that WORKS and succeed. Then they can translate the success to more challenging circumstances.
So back to the drawing board again.
Play Seton Hall as if you were playing S.Carolina or Tennessee.
No offense to the Pirates, but if you can't find the intestinal fortitude on Friday night.....

Reaction Score
not quite sure that was “falling on his sword” defending the team, not when he said “our really good guards weren’t playing”.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Thank you.

Not sure I heard any answers to the obvious questions we all have.

I'm reading Geno as falling on his sword in defense of the team, deflecting scrutiny by offering up poor coaching to the media as the answer to the Huskies malaise.

As he says you don't win when you can't shoot and turn the ball over repeatedly. He also tells us they shoot 20 of 24 treys in practice but can't buy one at game time.

Worthy of his HOF character - taking the heat off the team - admirable a classy posture. But after watching weeks of this malaise and hearing how talented we still are, how we practice well and things well be better when x, y or z return I wonder if the issue is a non-basketball one (and I bite my lip for saying so, but the obvious answers don't equate). Hope not as those are often harder to heal than a stress fracture and, if so, it would be kept within the clubhouse insiders but as Geno has now said many times publicly he can't fix whatever it is.

I watch, I go, I'm a fan and I miss the culture of play I've been treated to for so long.
You should read the latest comments from Poffenbarger. She said she never felt accepted by her teammates. Maybe it goes deeper than just coaching.

Reaction Score
You should read the latest comments from Poffenbarger. She said she never felt accepted by her teammates. Maybe it goes deeper than just coaching.

------------

Yes please, I would like to if you can point me to them?

Curious also what Mir and other recent transfers say when they are out.

When the on the court play options don't appear to address the issue it certainly warrants looking elsewhere - the lockerroom is a fair choice.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Can you provide a citation for this? This is the first time that I have ever read or heard anything like that. Most of the known comments came from her mother rather than from her.

Reaction Score
I doubt that Caroline felt fully accepted until her shots started going in. Doesn't matter whether true or not, most of us felt like an outsider initially when we joined a new team, new school, new company. Not sure of the context, but if Saylor made these comments, may have been perfectly normal.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I doubt that Caroline felt fully accepted until her shots started going in. Doesn't matter whether true or not, most of us felt like an outsider initially when we joined a new team, new school, new company. Not sure of the context, but if Saylor made these comments, may have been perfectly normal.
Caroline had very close friend Azzi side by side with her in summer camp and was at least friends with Paige. Saylor came in mid year and her entire circumstance was difficult since she would be playing catchup with the team from the get go and the existing team had their own issues to figure out . Injuries. being isolated in a COVID locked up campus world and not getting off to a quick start could not help.

Reaction Score
Can you provide a citation for this? This is the first time that I have ever read or heard anything like that. Most of the known comments came from her mother rather than from her.
I tried google many different ways. Turned up nothing. Bottom line is Storrs just wasn't for her, so she moved on to a bigger place that offers more of the total college experience she was looking for. You don't go to Storrs for the social scene, and maybe that was ultimately too big of a factor to ignore. As far as we know there is no evidence that her transfer was motivated by basketball related factors.

Reaction Score

------------

When the on the court play options don't appear to address the issue it certainly warrants looking elsewhere - the lockerroom is a fair choice.
Saylor’s issues where not basketball related, according to her mother. UConn supposedly didn’t provide much socialization and wasn’t that academically challenging. Ergo, she transferred to the Harvard or the south, Arkansas

Reaction Score
This quote:
"The welcoming here, by myself, was way different than the previous," she said. "I don't think (teammates) necessarily look at it as I've only been here for two weeks. They're just as excited as I am, and I think that helps a lot."
and this:
"Coming from somewhere that you leave, you have the worry of, 'I hope it doesn't happen somewhere else,'" Poffenbarger said. "The recruiting process can be a lot of what you want to hear, and they don't necessarily tell you everything. ... How great everything's been, it's just been a lot of reassurance. Like, 'OK, I really did make the right decision.' "
Here: How UConn transfer Saylor Poffenbarger is making an impact on Arkansas women's basketball

Reaction Score

------------

This article has a few quotes with the flavor of someone who didn’t feel accepted/welcomed the way she hoped she would be:

Reaction Score
Perhaps less pressure felt when she is on the strong side of her new team's athleticism & hoops skills. So much catching up coming into UConn. And Geno is tough.

Reaction Score
yes lets see a link to this please. You would never have known from her social media at the time that there were problems. Last year before a game, didnt the team do some observance for her of a sibling that had died as a small child?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Perhaps less pressure felt when she is on the strong side of her new team's athleticism & hoops skills. So much catching up coming into UConn. And Geno is tough.
She's on the scout team and according to Coach Neighbors making a major impact, so good for her. Hopefully it works out well.

Reaction Score
That article came up on my google.com feed when I logged into my phone at lunch. Interesting. Also mentions Vanderbilt beating Arkansas. Did not mention her old assistant coach was coaching Vanderbilt.

Reaction Score
This line of conversation on what former players might say after transfer is interesting. Geno was incredibly hard on Rebecca, Diana, Svet, Shea, etc. I could go on and on and on. He has never minced words at pressers, or for articles and interviews. And if transfers really are making comments I believe it says more about them than Geno. If Geno was/is the monster that some make him out to be then he'd never have any connection with former players and we all know that's not the case.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I read it on my phone. It was a site that featured Arkansas basketball. It was different from what I read about what her mother said. I'm just reporting what I read. Maybe if you Google Arkansas basketball you will find it. It's no big deal, just surprising to read.

Reaction Score
I read it on my phone. It was a site that featured Arkansas basketball. It was different from what I read about what her mother said. I'm just reporting what I read. Maybe if you Google Arkansas basketball you will find it. It's no big deal, just surprising to read.

Geno is a known commodity and if he was a monster he would have been out decades ago. So I think that is a low probability scenario.

Team dynamics are more than the head coach, or even the staff and program for that matter.

These young ladies struggle with all the variables the rest of us face, but in a more confined environment at a younger age. Off-the-court variables could be anything including team chemistry, race, romance, economics, academics, difficult personalities, substance abuse - you pick-em.

The fact that these women are sewn together in a pod largely isolated from the larger world, especially in the Covid era dealing with mostly 11 teammates (maybe fewer with injuries) of different ages/backgrounds/profiles/personalities dawn to dusk is a hugely challenging proving ground for chemistry.

The college landscape is littered with recent train wreck examples where highly skilled people could not get along to function well as a team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom