Geno: Philosopher King | The Boneyard

Geno: Philosopher King

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here is a man who has things in perspective as he speaks at the TAPS program for families of the fallen.

"The first thing that comes to your mind is how many times in sports you use military jargon. We talk about, 'We're going to war against this team,' or, 'That was a tough battle to beat these guys. Our players really sacrificed a lot to accomplish this goal.' That's all well and good and I think a lot of that may have some truth to it. But in reality, after you meet these people, you change completely your view of: What is war? What's a battle? What really is a sacrifice?

"I find myself, I don't use those terms anymore with my team. Because I know it's insignificant compared to what the real thing is. It's never a war when you're playing a game. You're never in a battle. Even though it's just a figure of speech. The sacrifice that you make, to do what? To play a game that you love. It brings all that home for me."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...wski-jerry-colangelo-geno-auriemma/100574302/

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is interesting to note that most of the competitions that turned into 'sports' started as training for military forces - the obvious ones being archery and javelin and the various combats boxing, wrestling, and martial arts, but war chariots and horsemanship turned into chariot races turned into horse/car racing and polo. And many of the team sports were generated out of military sports and received a boost or development within their ranks. And the original Olympic sports all had military significance - speed, hurdling, endurance. The marathon distance being designated by an approximation of a military courier's run to announce the defeat of the Persians.

And of course the famous line 'The battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton.' So perhaps the language is also a hold over of the more serious origins.

I personally am very tired of our various 'wars': on poverty, on drugs, etc.

Reaction Score
Incredible answer, except nothing Geno says is incredible anymore. We are in the presence of a genius in social intelligence.* Recurrently, we see evidence of that with virtually everything he says and does.

*Social intelligence is the capability to effectively navigate and negotiate complex social relationships and environments. Social scientist Ross Honeywill believes social intelligence is an aggregated measure of self- and social-awareness, evolved social beliefs and attitudes, and a capacity and appetite to manage complex social change. Psychologist Nicholas Humphrey believes that it is social intelligence, rather than quantitative intelligence, that defines humans. The original definition by Edward Thorndike in 1920 is "the ability to understand and manage men and women and girls, to act wisely in human relations" Wikipedia

Really, when you read that definition, who in the world of sports--heck, in the whole world--comes more readily to mind?

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately it is all to clear that Geno is a naturalized citizen, so a role he would be great at is unavailable absent constitutional amendment bags.
"all too clear"...sorry :rolleyes: just want you to be as good as you usually are!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"all too clear"...sorry :rolleyes: just want you to be as good as you usually are!

It is all "too clear" that to and too get me more often than not, but I appreciate your effort to keep me correct, no matter how too hopeless the task.

Reaction Score
Geno has always used the game of basketball as a metaphor for life. If you listen to him, his messages transends the actual game, and all have deeper meaning. As a business man, after reading his book, I like....."process is over rated versus results". Someone once asked him if he was an "X and O's" coach...his reply was, "a team could run the perfect play and miss the basket" then what good was it, however if the team botched the play and made the basket, that was good. In business, making the sale is more important that having a perfect meeting and no sale.
Really interesting guy......

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Incredible answer, except nothing Geno says is incredible anymore. We are in the presence of a genius in social intelligence.* Recurrently, we see evidence of that with virtually everything he says and does.

*Social intelligence is the capability to effectively navigate and negotiate complex social relationships and environments. Social scientist Ross Honeywill believes social intelligence is an aggregated measure of self- and social-awareness, evolved social beliefs and attitudes, and a capacity and appetite to manage complex social change. Psychologist Nicholas Humphrey believes that it is social intelligence, rather than quantitative intelligence, that defines humans. The original definition by Edward Thorndike in 1920 is "the ability to understand and manage men and women and girls, to act wisely in human relations" Wikipedia

Really, when you read that definition, who in the world of sports--heck, in the whole world--comes more readily to mind?
Mike Rowe came to my mind.

Reaction Score
Geno has always used the game of basketball as a metaphor for life. If you listen to him, his messages transends the actual game, and all have deeper meaning. As a business man, after reading his book, I like....."process is over rated versus results". Someone once asked him if he was an "X and O's" coach...his reply was, "a team could run the perfect play and miss the basket" then what good was it, however if the team botched the play and made the basket, that was good. In business, making the sale is more important that having a perfect meeting and no sale.
Really interesting guy.

But Geno adjusts the "process vs results" focus as needed. How many times has UConn won a game and Geno was unhappy because of the way they played? Especially with non-pros, a lot of his emphasis is on process (that will, he trusts, lead to results). He wont leave alone a player with flaws in her game even if she produces well. In the long run, teaching process is the only way to ensure lasting, repeatable results. Well-run plays will eventually outscore botched plays!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It is interesting to note that most of the competitions that turned into 'sports' started as training for military forces - the obvious ones being archery and javelin and the various combats boxing, wrestling, and martial arts, but war chariots and horsemanship turned into chariot races turned into horse/car racing and polo. And many of the team sports were generated out of military sports and received a boost or development within their ranks. And the original Olympic sports all had military significance - speed, hurdling, endurance. The marathon distance being designated by an approximation of a military courier's run to announce the defeat of the Persians.

And of course the famous line 'The battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton.' So perhaps the language is also a hold over of the more serious origins.

I personally am very tired of our various 'wars': on poverty, on drugs, etc.
In the modern Olympic era, there are even more direct descendants of military pursuits including: the modern pentathlon, the biathlon and of course shooting.

Reaction Score
But Geno adjusts the "process vs results" focus as needed. How many times has UConn won a game and Geno was unhappy because of the way they played? Especially with non-pros, a lot of his emphasis is on process (that will, he trusts, lead to results). He wont leave alone a player with flaws in her game even if she produces well. In the long run, teaching process is the only way to ensure lasting, repeatable results. Well-run plays will eventually outscore botched plays!
Yes, I agree. Geno would practice the botched play until they got it right... the number one thing the Uconn women do is practice shooting because putting the ball in the basket is how the winner is determined. We all agree how that has worked out for Geno.

Reaction Score
I don't know why all of those reporters out there kept calling him a wise-guy, "abrasive," and other nasty things. Every time I listen to Geno Auriemma, I am immensely impressed by his intelligence, his insights into people, into sports, into the game of basketball, and by his humanity.

He is one of the most engaging and interesting people in the country today.

Reaction Score
We as UCONN fans need to be truly appreciative and thankful that we have Geno and his great staff at UCONN.
Not only an INCREDIBLE COACH but also an outstanding representative of the university and community as a whole.
I hope Geno stays coaching here for another 15 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom