VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Sounds like Tuck will be starting from here on out -

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Sounds like Tuck will be starting from here on out -
I'm excited for her and the team. A few warm up games as a starter before meeting ND again will be great for Tuck.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
What else did Coach say?

The last half was mostly a joint interview with the Academic Director (not the correct title, but the person who runs that side of things for the AD). Some interesting anecdotes but not meat and potatoes.

Earlier, Geno did reiterate (again) that this is one of most challenging seasons in his tenure when it comes to the coaching staff being able to figure out which buttons to push. Some years they get it right, some years they don't. In Geno's words, this year they haven't figured it out - at all.

Nothing else too earthshattering - said there will be a few changes here and there in how they game plan, but that it's too late to tear up the playbook. Made light of the great players that want the ball, and that the ball finds its way to those players no matter if you actually run plays for them or not. The ball just finds them. He cited Moore, Taurasi, Ralph, and Sveta. This was part of a discussion about how when we were able to get the ball to KML, everything worked pretty well. But against really good teams, do you think they're going to just let you get the ball to KML that easily all the time? So somebody else has to be a 'want the ball' type of player, really demand it and want it at crunch time and other times. He complimented Kelly for taking up the mantle toward the end. (I'm going 'stream of consciousness' on these paraphrases, so forgive me.)

I might recall some other stuff , if so I'll post

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What else did Coach say?

Not much. No major personnel changes (so all those asking for Moriah to be given the keys to the car can forget it; he didn't say that)

KML needs to be like Diana, Maya, Shea, Sveta and find the ball.

Geno would've loved to get the ball to Kaleena on the inbound plays in OT but ND knew that and they were holding her. She needs to figure out how to break loose of the holding. (I think she should do the Diggins arm flail; seriously, on one of the plays McBride literally had her arm wrapped around KML).

Reaction Score
Not much. No major personnel changes (so all those asking for Moriah to be given the keys to the car can forget it; he didn't say that)

KML needs to be like Diana, Maya, Shea, Sveta and find the ball.

Geno would've loved to get the ball to Kaleena on the inbound plays in OT but ND knew that and they were holding her. She needs to figure out how to break loose of the holding. (I think she should do the Diggins arm flail; seriously, on one of the plays McBride literally had her arm wrapped around KML).
Agree, Cat. Kaleena needs to learn how to flail her arms while falling to the floor. It works quite consistently for diggins.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Hey Doggie, was that not the mea culpa?

Earlier, Geno did reiterate (again) that this is one of most challenging seasons in his tenure when it comes to the coaching staff being able to figure out which buttons to push. Some years they get it right, some years they don't. In Geno's words, this year they haven't figured it out - at all.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Odd, because he was soooo positive going into this year. He really, really liked the team, etc.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wasn't asking, but I did mention it. Didn't figure he would anyway. Just everyone knows we need a PG to run things, and Jefferson being the only one we really have, eh maybe give her a chance to do it?? Let other people play to "their" strengths??

But, yea, I know it's not gonna happen.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Maybe his expectations were too high from reading the Boneyard. :)
The year has been a total struggle. Lost twice by one and in OT to the team with the runner up POY and once by 6 to the team with the POY. Disaster no doubt. Crushed more or less everyone else. Still as good a shot as any team to win it all. I think GA knows it, too.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Agree, Cat. Kaleena needs to learn how to flail her arms while falling to the floor. It works quite consistently for diggins.
Not just that but something that both Diggins and McBride do is they flail their arms at the arms of the defender. Ex. if Kelly is defending Diggins with arms and legs spread to cut off a path past her Diggins just sticks out her off ball arm on the side she wants to pass and raises it knocking away Kelly's arm. Rarely have I seen our guards employ this tactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom