Geno On Under-Officiated" Paige: Daniel Connolly | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno On Under-Officiated" Paige: Daniel Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not questioning Caitlin's honesty, but I see contact with the body but not to the head. What am I missing?
If you're not questioning her honesty, Milford, why the post?:(

By the way, they showed another angle on the Peacock broadcast that showed clearly she got clipped on the ear.

Reaction Score
I get what Geno is saying, but the reason Paige goes to the line less than some others is because she takes less shots. If you look at the number of FTAs per FGA this season Paige has 69 FTAs on 228 FGAs for a rate of 0.303 FTAs per FGA. Looking at the other players mentioned, Clark is 146/483/.302, Olsen is 108/423/0.255, and Hidalgo is 119/341/0.349. Paige is actually getting the same treatment as Clark, and it's really only Hidalgo of that group that gets the better whistle.
I like the stats but I think there is a flaw in them and it is this. Paige drives more through traffic and gets hammered more underneath when she does, a lot more than Clark. There were at least 3 times last night that I could see with good angle seats in Nova where the body fouling was ridiculous. Hidalgo is a better comparison because she finishes drives. I don't think you can use the stats unless you use a shot chart comparison which is way too much work even if you could get it. The refs treat CC like the superstar that she is, they don't do the same for Paige. Reminds me of Magic's crack when they were photographing the famous cover of SI for the Dream Team with Larry and MJ. Magic told Larry not to stand too close to MJ or they would call a foul on him. By the eye test, Paige gets fewer calls and gets fouled incessantly.

Reaction Score
I get what Geno is saying, but the reason Paige goes to the line less than some others is because she takes less shots. If you look at the number of FTAs per FGA this season Paige has 69 FTAs on 228 FGAs for a rate of 0.303 FTAs per FGA. Looking at the other players mentioned, Clark is 146/483/.302, Olsen is 108/423/0.255, and Hidalgo is 119/341/0.349. Paige is actually getting the same treatment as Clark, and it's really only Hidalgo of that group that gets the better whistle.
She also finishes falling away from the basket. Want to get foul calls? Go to the rim.

Reaction Score
Over the years I don't recall anyone being as physically abused as DT (which makes her achievements even more remarkable). She was continuously grabbed and bumped, with no calls, especially against ND.
That’s what legends do……

Reaction Score
Just Geno doing his job, lobbying for more whistles... good for him, and possibly for Paige and the Huskies. I hope it helps.
Yes it's his job just like every other coach to lobby officials and the stats presented by hoopsfan22 confirms this is just more lobbying.

Reaction Score
The per-fga stat may miss Geno’s point, since he seems more focused on how she is knocked off her cuts too often. He complained about this with regard to Lou last season too. Many of us wondered then if the refs weren’t paying consistent attention to freedom of movement rules. Of course he’s lobbying for better treatment of his star, as @The deacon says. But he may not be wrong. I also suspect Paige is intrepid and throws herself into some kinds of plays more riskily (she plays with abandon) than other players. This may produce fouls the refs aren’t in the habit of looking for.
I agree 100%. It's not when Paige has the ball. Those fouls and no-calls look reasonable. It's when Paige doesn't have the ball. Sometimes she gets fouled 2 or 3 times a possession. I don't think she's moving as well as earlier in the year. Maybe those fouls are taking a toll. You can't measure those fouls with a per-fga stat.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Lucy Olsen manipulates her body to seek contact from defenders and then does her best to sell it to officials. She's done that since her freshman year,

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. It's not when Paige has the ball. Those fouls and no-calls look reasonable. It's when Paige doesn't have the ball. Sometimes she gets fouled 2 or 3 times a possession. I don't think she's moving as well as earlier in the year. Maybe those fouls are taking a toll. You can't measure those fouls with a per-fga stat.
That too in addition to what happens on her drives. She is constantly being restrained, misdirected, and bumped when she is trying to move without the ball. They are fouls too just like when she is shooting.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And this is how much of the damage inflicted on Diana was done. This was particularly evident in games against Tennessee.

Reaction Score
I've noticed Paige complaining much more to refs. I don't like that look. As one of the best players she's going to get worked over. I think she has gotten worked over from day 1, but always seemed to just get on with things. Enough with the Nika reactions. I'd like to see players get T'd up more. Just play the gd game! When they complain, I shout at the screen, " hey, what about the one that wasn't called against you"!! Obviously, this is a sore spot for me.

Reaction Score
First off, we can all agree that Paige gets bounced around an awful lot, and many of those bounces could be called fouls. We can probably also all agree that refereeing in the women's college game is far from what we would like it to be. But when it comes to how officiating is going to go in any given game, if it's called more or less evenly, I don't know that there is much to complain about.

We can all disagree with a given call. Just look at Nika, who disagrees with every foul they call on her. But to mangle the old saying, in UConn games, I am not sure which team is the goose and which is the gander. It's one thing if one team is obviously getting all the breaks (just to digress for a second, I seem to recall a recent game when UConn had shot a bunch of foul shots at the half and the opponent, whoever it was, had shot none. Is that an accurate reflection of the way the two teams played, or ref bias?). But if that is not the case, I don't know how much complaining is justified.

Geno has started a PR campaign. Given how valuable Paige is and how few other players he has, he is absolutely right to do so. With luck, it will pay off by the end of the season and in the tournament.
Johnny Most, longtime radio broadcaster for the Celtics, had a mantra for every game the Celts lost. Either the other team was physically beating the crap out of the Celts (and the refs weren't calling it), or the other team spent the whole game at the foul line (which meant the Celtics must have been doing a lot of fouling). Either way, the Celtics never lost a game "fair and square."

Reaction Score
The game has gotten more physical overall, and there are a lot of scrappier teams that try to make up for a talent deficit by muddying a game up.

I’m not sure Paige gets beat up more than other star players, although I do hold my breath every time I see her get bumped. Sometimes it seems that way I guess, because she demands the biggest amount of opponents defensive attention.

If Geno was talking about the ND game, I’m not sure I agree they were overly physical in a way that was a problem. I hate to say it but I think their defense on Paige was just…very good. I’ve almost never Paige be shut down so effectively.
As I reflected on the game I believe it was won because Citron could effectively jump the pick and prevent Paige from getting more open for her outside shot or cut to the basket. The opposite was on our defense on Hildago where we didn't get inside her pick and she either breezed by the big who would have had to switch or her choice for an open jumper. Ivey prepared Citron to defeat our big pick and guard option better than we did. Other Coaches will use this film to teach their defenders. What do others think?

Reaction Score
I've noticed Paige complaining much more to refs. I don't like that look. As one of the best players she's going to get worked over. I think she has gotten worked over from day 1, but always seemed to just get on with things. Enough with the Nika reactions. I'd like to see players get T'd up more. Just play the gd game! When they complain, I shout at the screen, " hey, what about the one that wasn't called against you"!! Obviously, this is a sore spot for me.
Hahaha. I love it. T up stars for complaining at the refs and Caitlin would be gone before half time in most games.

Me, personally, I think kids should give refs occasional feedback. They often develop a relationship over the years. Nika actually is on friendly terms with a few. Not all of them.

Reaction Score
Hahaha. I love it. T up stars for complaining at the refs and Caitlin would be gone before half time in most games.

Me, personally, I think kids should give refs occasional feedback. They often develop a relationship over the years. Nika actually is on friendly terms with a few. Not all of them.
Couldn't resist, could you, Bone Dog? ;)

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The per-fga stat may miss Geno’s point, since he seems more focused on how she is knocked off her cuts too often. He complained about this with regard to Lou last season too. Many of us wondered then if the refs weren’t paying consistent attention to freedom of movement rules. Of course he’s lobbying for better treatment of his star, as @The deacon says. But he may not be wrong. I also suspect Paige is intrepid and throws herself into some kinds of plays more riskily (she plays with abandon) than other players. This may produce fouls the refs aren’t in the habit of looking for.

Last year vs SC, I'm sitting 4th row top of the key. I swear on everything Sacred, SC was literally grapping Lou. Her arms, her shoulders, pulling her shirt two feet off her body, and on at least one occasion leveled her with an illegal crack back block that would have been a 15 yard penalty in the NFL, and NOTHING was being called

It was surreal, as they call touch fouls everywhere else. I think once they go down that path, they don't want to change how they're calling the game, lest they be accused of being influenced by Geno or the likes of a Willie99

Surreal

Reaction Score
As I reflected on the game I believe it was won because Citron could effectively jump the pick and prevent Paige from getting more open for her outside shot or cut to the basket. The opposite was on our defense on Hildago where we didn't get inside her pick and she either breezed by the big who would have had to switch or her choice for an open jumper. Ivey prepared Citron to defeat our big pick and guard option better than we did. Other Coaches will use this film to teach their defenders. What do others think?
I think Paige was just “off” against ND. I don’t think she was fully right for Villanova either. I’m unsure what the problem is but she just doesn’t seem to be moving as fluidly as usual. Perhaps the reported blow to the face is/was causing some issues? I just hope she is back to 100% and is feeling frisky again! A healthy Paige is a happy (hopefully) Paige and also, a happy fanbase!:) I hope everybody is happy this Sunday!

Reaction Score
Actually this is precisely one of the things I had in mind when I said their defense on Paige was good. I have to respectfully disagree with the above comment that Paige was "off" without giving credit to the defense. We know Paige doesn't have off days very often. It usually takes a great defensive effort to slow her down and I think that's what happened here. She was off because they made her off.

I was watching Paige closely on offense waiting for her to work her magic, but it looked like she had a shadow out there. Citron is a disciplined defender, possessing the awareness to jump screens and smother her man without fouling. Then if Paige did manage to shake Citron for 2 seconds, someone else was waiting. Their team defensive gameplan on Paige was very well executed.

When a player spends that much time just struggling to even get open, it becomes hard to hunt shots and as fatigue mounts, it becomes impossible to take over the game, which is what Hidalgo was allowed to do instead because of the defensive lapses you mentioned.

Reaction Score
The switches on Hidalgo were slow, or Hidalgo was real fast, or a combination of both.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
The thing is, UConn has NEVER been physical with an opposing player in an effort to take them out of their rhythm/game. Just ask Kelly Mazzante. :cool:

Reaction Score
Kelly Mazzante is quoted saying, "They blatantly hit me coming across the middle - that was there game plan," could that be true?

Watch the game replay and decide for yourself.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Kelly Mazzante is quoted saying, "They blatantly hit me coming across the middle - that was there game plan," could that be true?

Watch the game replay and decide for yourself.
From 20 years ago, hmm.

Reaction Score
From 20 years ago, hmm.
Yes but the same coach and same objective. I didn't even remember it until ThisJustIn posted it and I watched it. It was a rough game. I could debate whether officials were right to let them play or let the game get out of hand but why bother.

I guess ThisJustIn is trying to debate the "Paige isn't getting protected" and the irony of Mazzante but I've never been a been Penn state fan.

Reaction Score
I think Geno’s real point has to be made indirectly, because if he was more direct league and NCAA officials might be liable to levy a fine. I mean if he tried rough play against Hidalgo, Clark, Juju Watkins, or Kiki Rice he’d have 2 players on the bench in foul trouble by halftime. Hurley on the men’s side probably has similar feelings about Clingan, Samson, Newton and Castle. It’s no coincidence that Diana and Paige, both got beat up 20 years apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom