Geno on Transfers | The Boneyard

Geno on Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
''It's going to get worse as years go on, because there's tampering going on,'' UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. ''Tampering by players, tampering by coaches. ... There's a sense of entitlement that kids grow up with now. Play on an (AAU) team with five other kids, they go to three different schools, and now they are on their cellphone communicating with each other. Are they doing it on their own? Or doing at the behest of their coaches. If you're not happy there we'd love to have you.''

Above located in a Dough Feinberg article about Duke: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/using-fund-transfer-travels-duke-team-during-off-201359849--ncaaw.html

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I must say that I found the main topic of the article - transfers finding ways to travel with teams - more interesting than Geno's comments.

His issue has been going on for a while. We had one team back off an unhappy RU player because they were afraid of a tampering penalty. An assistant coach at the school was "connected" with the potential transfer from AAU days. And that one was about as "known" as those things ever are. Also another transfer some years ago was pretty well thought to be orchestrated. In that case, it is probable that the player's family initiated the contact with the other school, but still . . .

As to the article topic, nothing like finding a way to gain an edge and circumvent the obvious interpretation of the rules. Then again, a former BE compliance officer once said that's the job of those folks - to find out just how much "bend" you can get away with. I have no problem with the UConn player that payed her own way - or the RU player many years ago who did the same; finding school / conference money seems a stretch, even if "ok".

Reaction Score
I must say that I found the main topic of the article - transfers finding ways to travel with teams - more interesting than Geno's comments.

His issue has been going on for a while. We had one team back off an unhappy RU player because they were afraid of a tampering penalty. An assistant coach at the school was "connected" with the potential transfer from AAU days. And that one was about as "known" as those things ever are. Also another transfer some years ago was pretty well thought to be orchestrated. In that case, it is probable that the player's family initiated the contact with the other school, but still . . .

As to the article topic, nothing like finding a way to gain an edge and circumvent the obvious interpretation of the rules. Then again, a former BE compliance officer once said that's the job of those folks - to find out just how much "bend" you can get away with. I have no problem with the UConn player that payed her own way - or the RU player many years ago who did the same; finding school / conference money seems a stretch, even if "ok".

I think you are being a little to dismissive of this. It is a fact that players are actively recruiting for their team by sending messages to recruits. I was surprised when I saw an ND player send- last year- a couple messages to Samuelson on sign-in day that she (Samuelson') would be next. Well, you may ask what's the diff between 2 players whispering in the ears of each other while playing U.S. basketball and the former. I'd take the whispering. Add to this the fact that the P5 conferences have so much more money then the others every opportunity they use to give (pay) students creates a disadvantage to all the others. If we can pay for a student to travel from day 1 or pay for family members to come for a weekend visit and stay at the on-campus hotel at Duke, why not have them sit out a year. It doesn't make any sense. Rules are important, but we do not need to have punishing ones. I think the ACC is involved in some questionable practices and are getting away with it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I recall one fishy transfer from UConn. Samari Walker departed from Storrs, then was in Lexington a very few days later, and magically enrolled for the spring semester. Simply amazing. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
There are many different scenarios with different explanations, but I tend to agree with Geno. There is an underground market for luring players from other teams' rosters. Sometimes you have to look at who is pulling the strings. Clearly, South Carolina has been an active shopper- Gray from UNC, Davis from GT and Imovbioh from UVA. Each was the best player on their former teams. There are third parties involved in making contacts before players get their releases. It's got to be very confusing and a lot for the kids to handle- it's hard enough being a high level college student-athlete.

Reaction Score
Another scenario that is rarely talked about is when a coach decides they no longer need a player to be part of their special family. The coach does not renew the scholarship and the coach signs someone better.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I've talk to some in the know and they all state what Geno is saying is definitely happening. What's discouraging is those in the know; including Geno; aren't willing to name names (Coaches/Administrator) of those that are tampering with players that are on other teams. I'm sure most of the contact is being done by player(s), but coaches have to be in collusion with the player(s). A player can't say you would be welcome at my school if you transfer without first talking to a coach and/or administrator and finding out if the player would be welcomed. Its the old adage, I know you're breaking recruiting rules but I won't report it, so you don't report me if I happen to break a rule.

If schools aren't careful, they are just going to become a Farm System where they develop a player for a year or two and then the player transfers to another school when a scholarship becomes available and/or need arises.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
By my logic, schools or programs who accept the most transfers should attract suspicion. Search for the answer to the simple question: Why? Follow-up question:How?

Reaction Score
I recall one fishy transfer from UConn. Samari Walker departed from Storrs, then was in Lexington a very few days later, and magically enrolled for the spring semester. Simply amazing. :rolleyes:
The "Transfer" of Samarie happened at an amazing rate. One day Uconn next Kentuck. She actually should never have been a Uconn player, a gifted player, but one who had a special friend on the Kentuck team. It angers me when people appear to blame Geno for these transfers--most often the transfer is in the best interest of both Uconn and the player. The kid who never practiced at Uconn and went to St. Johns and EDD were two "never were" Uconn's players. Although the Media gets miles and miles out of EDD and Uconn. Tampering?????

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The "Transfer" of Samarie happened at an amazing rate. One day Uconn next Kentuck. She actually should never have been a Uconn player, a gifted player, but one who had a special friend on the Kentuck team. It angers me when people appear to blame Geno for these transfers--most often the transfer is in the best interest of both Uconn and the player. The kid who never practiced at Uconn and went to St. Johns and EDD were two "never were" Uconn's players. Although the Media gets miles and miles out of EDD and Uconn. Tampering?????

Kia Wright was a talented PG who was genuinely and painfully homesick in Storrs. Geno graciously gave her a release so she could transfer to St. John's and be closer to home. No tampering.:)

EDD's story has been recounted here ad nauseam for years. No tampering.:)

Reaction Score
Kia Wright was a talented PG who was genuinely and painfully homesick in Storrs. Geno graciously gave her a release so she could transfer to St. John's and be closer to home. No tampering.:)

EDD's story has been recounted here ad nauseam for years. No tampering.:)

EDD's story IF YOU BELIEVE IT. I never did, and it cannot be proven either way outside of the parties involved. Some involvement from the Blue Hens was evident in the swift transfer into Volley ball probably to assist the transfer, but!! . Depends on the definition of "tampering" you want to use. I know Kia's transfer was for the kids benefit without any restriction (the lack of restriction are the point that is to Geno's credit). She paid him back, if I remember correctly by assisting in a Uconn defeat.
Transferring from one school to another for the average student takes an amount of time not seen is these transfers. A goodly number of Uconn BB players were Genuinely and painfully homesick. Few transferred. Homesick for a kid is common--the level of it is personal.
And that is Ad nauseam.

Reaction Score
Transferring from one school to another for the average student takes an amount of time not seen is these transfers.

This reminds me of the creative writing class I took my freshman year. Some story we were peer-reviewing included the detail that the main character transferred schools in less than a week, just before the spring semester started. The whole class said that was not believable. Author's turn came around to speak, and it turned out that the whole story was pseudo-biographical. She really had transferred to our school over a matter of days. Not an athlete, just a regular student. The transfer process is much, much, MUCH faster than a regular application process.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of the creative writing class I took my freshman year. Some story we were peer-reviewing included the detail that the main character transferred schools in less than a week, just before the spring semester started. The whole class said that was not believable. Author's turn came around to speak, and it turned out that the whole story was pseudo-biographical. She really had transferred to our school over a matter of days. Not an athlete, just a regular student. The transfer process is much, much, MUCH faster than a regular application process.

I had an Engineering student from Stevens University, in Jersey I think, transferred into Uconn in a matter of weeks--but he personally went from Department to department to argue the applicability of his courses in Stevens to Uconn. Not a long trip, but it took time. I assume the eval process of courses is much faster today with the internet and lessor demands.

Reaction Score
By my logic, schools or programs who accept the most transfers should attract suspicion. Search for the answer to the simple question: Why? Follow-up question:How?
That would be targeting, politically incorrect you know.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If this is not a taboo subject on this board, will someone explain to me what happened with Sadie Edwards. I believe I read an article that stated the staff expected more from her. Just what happened?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I didnt want to disrupt the thread in which the quote first appeared so..

Don't know if what you said about Lexie is accurate, but if so How is a Brand New Player who's not playing a Co-Captain?

Why would I post something about a team that I follow that wasnt accurate? :confused: If you doubt me... you can go to the duke site and look at the Blue Devil game notes posted before each upcoming game. The team captains are listed there.

While approved, don't like that she is able to travel with the team on road games, while other players at other institution are not able to. How many games will she travel to? If its all of them, there's no way she can accomplish that without missing classes.

BTW I would feel this way about any player at any school.

1) tough cookies. You can always write the ACC or NCAA to complain.

2) Did you read the article ? Or did you just read the part about the UCONN coach and his comments?

The ACC allows this use of the fund as long as the student-athlete doesn't miss class and doesn't practice with the team during the trip.

''I'm glad I got to be part of the first road trip,'' said Brown, who accompanied the Blue Devils to their opener at Penn. ''I think the rule is, as long as I don't miss class, I can go with them. When spring time rolls around, I won't be around as much as my schedule is more packed.''

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
My question is, what is he basing that comment on? Is it an assumption of what is happening or does he have proof that coaches are involved? I can see players talking to each other and a player trying to convince another player to come play with her, and maybe I am naive, but I like to think that coaches are not involved in tampering.

Reaction Score
I had an Engineering student from Stevens University, in Jersey I think, transferred into Uconn in a matter of weeks--but he personally went from Department to department to argue the applicability of his courses in Stevens to Uconn. Not a long trip, but it took time. I assume the eval process of courses is much faster today with the internet and lessor demands.

I would bet that, nowadays, you just email in your grades and course syllabi, and ask if there's a spot for you. There probably will be a spot open in a dorm somewhere. Give a couple days for relevant departments to check over syllabi while admissions checks the transcript with the original school, and it's done.

Reaction Score
I would bet that, nowadays, you just email in your grades and course syllabi, and ask if there's a spot for you. There probably will be a spot open in a dorm somewhere. Give a couple days for relevant departments to check over syllabi while admissions checks the transcript with the original school, and it's done.

So you believe that Credits transfer easily?? Maybe, more unusual things are happening that were not allowed in the past. I guess it depends upon the effect the economy is having on various institutions.
Without credits being established the courses you need are very difficult to determine.

Reaction Score
And you have first hand knowledge of this --HOW??

Reaction Score
And you have first hand knowledge of this --HOW??

I don't. "I would bet" means that I'm willing to bet on it. A bet means that you don't know the outcome. But thank you for putting words in my mouth.

We know transfers can happen fast. A lot of courses use pretty standard curriculum, because a lot of them use the same textbook. Email is a thing, so communication happens fast. There's probably going to be housing spots open. If the grades are good enough, then you just need to check in with the departments on credit issues. And if a student really wants or needs to change schools, they may be willing to transfer without a guarantee of credits carrying over.

Reaction Score
I don't. "I would bet" means that I'm willing to bet on it. A bet means that you don't know the outcome. But thank you for putting words in my mouth.

We know transfers can happen fast. A lot of courses use pretty standard curriculum, because a lot of them use the same textbook. Email is a thing, so communication happens fast. There's probably going to be housing spots open. If the grades are good enough, then you just need to check in with the departments on credit issues. And if a student really wants or needs to change schools, they may be willing to transfer without a guarantee of credits carrying over.
Almost all college athletic programs have a person in the Admissions Office that they go to with type stuff. They will give them the unofficial transcript and usually within a day will have a very good idea how many credits will transfer in. My daughter is a junior at a school in the SEC, I can have a copy of her unofficial transcript and send it to any school she wants within 10 minutes if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom