Geno on the freshmen and the start of the season | The Boneyard

Geno on the freshmen and the start of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Samuelson and Collier have made a strong, early impression.

“They are what I thought they would be,” Auriemma said. “They know how to play. They know how to be good teammates. They both and have played enough basketball and won enough awards that they’re very comfortable. And they’re going to play a lot. They’re going to play a lot because we need them to and they’re going to play a lot because they’re really good. They pick things up quickly and they’re good. That’s a good combination.

“They’re unlike a lot of freshmen coming out of high school. They’ve all played in enough big games and enough big arenas — state championship games, USA Basketball — they know. It’s UConn basketball and this is what they’ve been dreaming about all their lives. It’s the same as when Moriah, Stewie, and Tuck came in,” Auriemma said. “They’ve played lot of basketball and played a lot at a high level with other good players and they expect to fit in. Based on the little I’ve seen, these guys are like Moriah, Stewie, and Tuck when they were freshmen.”

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/auriemma-catching-up-freshmen-impress/

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
High praise from Geno. Looks like UCONN is set for quite a few years. Adding Cox would just extend what will be a long run of championships.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Samuelson and Collier have made a strong, early impression.

“They are what I thought they would be,” Auriemma said. “They know how to play. They know how to be good teammates. They both and have played enough basketball and won enough awards that they’re very comfortable. And they’re going to play a lot. They’re going to play a lot because we need them to and they’re going to play a lot because they’re really good. They pick things up quickly and they’re good. That’s a good combination.
“They’re unlike a lot of freshmen coming out of high school. They’ve all played in enough big games and enough big arenas — state championship games, USA Basketball — they know. It’s UConn basketball and this is what they’ve been dreaming about all their lives. It’s the same as when Moriah, Stewie, and Tuck came in,” Auriemma said. “They’ve played lot of basketball and played a lot at a high level with other good players and they expect to fit in. Based on the little I’ve seen, these guys are like Moriah, Stewie, and Tuck when they were freshmen.”

When I began to read this piece, I thought Geno was going to quote Dennis Green. Remember......."They were who we thought they were"............:eek:
I don't know about the rest of the Nation (UConn Nation), but that's music to my ears. To quote an old saying...."We're not rebuilding, we're reloading".

We all know Geno very seldom gives praise to freshmen, especially before practice begins. That tells me right there that this group of young ladies is special.
Freshmen usually have to go through and complete Geno's "attitude adjustment course" for freshmen BEFORE he begins to say anything that could be even remotely construed as praise.

I have a feeling, and it's been talked about all summer here on the "yard", that this group of ladies (including Butler), are as good as advertised, and that we are going to really enjoy watching them go through their paces this season. If they can come in produce right away, that will take a lot of pressure off the big 3.
Like most freshmen that play a lot, the game should have slowed down for them by tournament time.

I just singed up to listen to the exhibition games on IMG radio (on-line) network. Since it's not being televised, being able to listen to it is the next best thing. To find the IMG radio network, just google it, click on the link, and go from there. November 2 can't get here soon enough.

Whew...that was a long off-season. It's so nice to have the smell of UConn women's basketball back in the air. ;) Now we'll have some "fresh" fodder to chew on daily.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
It's great to hear this about the two, but it makes me feel bad for Boykin. I so want that kid to succeed.

We knew she had some lingering health issues coming in. We knew said issues would be addressed by the medical and training staff, and hope they would be completely healed by yesterday. It appears this is not the case. If not, I'm sure they won't make any attempt to rush her along.

I know she's anxious to get started (and not fall behind), but if she can't answer the bell now, then she'll have to wait until she can. All things in time. Eventually, she will be 100% healthy, and ready to go.

We know she is a dynamic player. It's hoped that she will have a positive impact on the program this year.
The team will be fine until she's ready. Gus, you are not alone in wanting her to do well. You've got lots of company. ;)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think everyone wants to enjoy success across the roster, but to know Geno envisages depth in the rotation is cause for excitement. If we know Stewie, Mo, Kia, Collier, and KLS will all play, that's a great start. Chong and Gabby will get minutes, so that's seven right there. Meanwhile, I sure hope Morgan and Natalie are fine, Ekmark makes strides as a sophomore, and DJB held quickly!

Reaction Score
It's great to hear this about the two, but it makes me feel bad for Boykin. I so want that kid to succeed.
I agree. Collier showed us a lot in the International Games --scoring 30 against a high talented, pro-playing FSRF (Russia) team. De Janae Boykin --terrible timing for injuries, last year injuries set Courtney back almost a year. I hope ALL recover and get to play as often as Geno in the article suggests--"they'll play a lot".

Reaction Score
We knew she had some lingering health issues coming in. We knew said issues would be addressed by the medical and training staff, and hope they would be completely healed by yesterday. It appears this is not the case. If not, I'm sure they won't make any attempt to rush her along.

I know she's anxious to get started (and not fall behind), but if she can't answer the bell now, then she'll have to wait until she can. All things in time. Eventually, she will be 100% healthy, and ready to go.

We know she is a dynamic player. It's hoped that she will have a positive impact on the program this year.
The team will be fine until she's ready. Gus, you are not alone in wanting her to do well. You've got lots of company. ;)
You are right about her being a great player and I go along with the wishes of her to to get healthy. She's a Swin Cash from all reports. If she takes time to get healthy, while frustrating for her and maybe the team, it may prove to be great for Uconn --if she red shirts (with all the talent on this team) she will have time to move slowly in development and learn the UConn way of defense and the total UConn system. Rather than being rushed to learn everything in October, November, December and bang produce in January. Geno rarely does this, but if you have the talent (KLS/Collier) you could have very high expectations placed on you. It give Boykin an easier adjustment, maybe..

Reaction Score
Predicting....a risky business. BUT..... barring lingering health issues I think Butler is the 5th starter. Should she be unable to answer the bell I think it will be a toss between KLS and Gabby. I just can't see Chong or Ekmark filling that spot. Absent injury (short term or red short level) Geno will earn his money blending the talent. Look forward to the rotation and all the wizards here picking it apart.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You are right about her being a great player and I go along with the wishes of her to to get healthy. She's a Swin Cash from all reports. If she takes time to get healthy, while frustrating for her and maybe the team, it may prove to be great for Uconn --if she red shirts (with all the talent on this team) she will have time to move slowly in development and learn the UConn way of defense and the total UConn system. Rather than being rushed to learn everything in October, November, December and bang produce in January. Geno rarely does this, but if you have the talent (KLS/Collier) you could have very high expectations placed on you. It give Boykin an easier adjustment, maybe..

I think Boykin will have a profound impact on this program during her stay in Storrs. Whether it begins this year, or next, I agree with you that she should not be rushed. Let's hope that Geno stays true to form in her case, and wait until she is 100% heathy and ready to endure the day to day rigors of division 1 WCBB.

As I said, regardless of when she's ready to join the team, there's enough talent on the team to hold on until she does.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Predicting....a risky business. BUT..... barring lingering health issues I think Butler is the 5th starter. Should she be unable to answer the bell I think it will be a toss between KLS and Gabby. I just can't see Chong or Ekmark filling that spot. Absent injury (short term or red short level) Geno will earn his money blending the talent. Look forward to the rotation and all the wizards here picking it apart.

Hi Bill, I agree with you in thinking that Butler should be the 5th starter. At 6'5", she brings a dynamic no one else on the team can for the following reasons........She's a "double edged sword", in that she can score, rebound and play defense making her valuable on both ends of the court. And let's not forget that she's NOT a freshman. She comes in with a full year of playing experience as a starter under her belt, plus a year of practicing with the team which has to count for something. She's loss 20 lbs. since she began her workouts. She's gone through camp Geno, she's learned the plays and has had the "UConn way" of playing basketball ingrained into her DNA. She's chomping at the bit, and ready to go.

Now whether Geno puts her in the starting lineup or not, we'll have to wait until November 2 and see. Beginning tomorrow (Monday 10/19), Geno and staff have 14 practice days to figure out who that 5th starter will be. I honestly don't think right now he has any idea who that will be. Someone will rise above the rest, make a case for themselves over the next 2 weeks, and make it hard for Geno not to insert them into the starting lineup. We can all guess who that will be, just like we can guess what the winning lottery numbers will be in the next drawing.

You're right, the BY "wizards" will all line up and take a number to give us chapter and verse why they know (or think) who the 5th starter should be.
We'll go back and forth and have some fun with it. It'll keep us busy until they break the huddle on game day, and we see which five walk to center court.

If it is Butler, I will be sure and post a comment for all of my fellow BY'ers to read and borrow a term from Tony Kornheiser and say....."I believe I had that". ;)
If it's not her, I'll step back into the shadows like a thief in the night, and wait till that topic is no longer of interest or conjecture before I reemerge.

Take care.

Reaction Score
I know the first night scrimmage is totally meaningless, but I couldn't help but notice
that, at the end of the evening, the player with the most impressive stat line was
Napheesa Collier.

I have a feeling that this will be a commonplace occurrence over the next four years.

Reaction Score
Softy!! Compassionate? She was one of three elite players coming in--think of how much that is costing in salaries and up keep--
But you are right --I am like you truly unhappy she isn't 100 per cent, not for me or even Geno, but every kids has the right and the need to show the world what they are really capable of doing. I'm sure she shall before her stint at Uconn ends. Would be nice to see all that!

Reaction Score
Hi Bill, I agree with you in thinking that Butler should be the 5th starter. At 6'5", she brings a dynamic no one else on the team can for the following reasons...She's a "double edged sword", in that she can score, rebound and play defense making her valuable on both ends of the court. And let's not forget that she's NOT a freshman. She comes in with a full year of playing experience as a starter under her belt, plus a year of practicing with the team which has to count for something. She's loss 20 lbs. since she began her workouts. She's gone through camp Geno, she's learned the plays and has had the "UConn way" of playing basketball ingrained into her DNA. She's chomping at the bit, and ready to go.

Now whether Geno puts her in the starting lineup or not, we'll have to wait until November 2 and see. Beginning tomorrow (Monday 10/19), Geno and staff have 14 practice days to figure out who that 5th starter will be. I honestly don't think right now he has any idea who that will be. Someone will rise above the rest, make a case for themselves over the next 2 weeks, and make it hard for Geno not to insert them into the starting lineup. We can all guess who that will be, just like we can guess what the winning lottery numbers will be in the next drawing.

You're right, the BY "wizards" will all line up and take a number to give us chapter and verse why they know (or think) who the 5th starter should be.
We'll go back and forth and have some fun with it. It'll keep us busy until they break the huddle on game day, and we see which five walk to center court.

If it is Butler, I will be sure and post a comment for all of my fellow BY'ers to read and borrow a term from Tony Kornheiser and say....."I believe I had that". ;)
If it's not her, I'll step back into the shadows like a thief in the night, and wait till that topic is no longer of interest or conjecture before I reemerge.

Take care.

I respect the "Naples (both)" too much to disagree with them. My knowledge and data base on all players Uconn is minimal and to tell the truth I don't have the energy or drive to dig that deeply into them. Nice to have guys around who will!!
But isn't that the basis of the Boneyard or like sites to present diverse and arguable positions on every Uconn WBB player??? It would be dull if everyone agreed . With my ultra thin skin I find it hard to accept at times. I accept except the selectively pulling a single word out of a comment and berate one on that --which usually has nothing to do with the comment stated..
Carnac--you can have this band box back---But make no mistake Butler shall be a big part of UConn's success this year. Prediction.

Reaction Score
I respect the "Naples (both)" too much to disagree with them. My knowledge and data base on all players Uconn is minimal and to tell the truth I don't have the energy or drive to dig that deeply into them. Nice to have guys around who will!!
But isn't that the basis of the Boneyard or like sites to present diverse and arguable positions on every Uconn WBB player??? It would be dull if everyone agreed . With my ultra thin skin I find it hard to accept at times. I accept except the selectively pulling a single word out of a comment and berate one on that --which usually has nothing to do with the comment stated..
Carnac--you can have this band box back---But make no mistake Butler shall be a big part of UConn's success this year. Prediction.
Being retired helps a lot in affording time to research etc., being old (I know depends on whose standards we use) thin skin, if ever it was, is no longer part of who I am and I will get into more debates where folks don't care for my refusal to approach every topic by being politically correct before I can jump in. Looking forward to meeting DaveinNaples in the early part of the season, a few chats suggest a nice guy.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I actually think Collier will be better than Tuck was as a frosh and am hoping KLS can be something along the lines of what KML was.
according to some KML didn't live up to her potential, basically stunk!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree. Collier showed us a lot in the International Games --scoring 30 against a high talented, pro-playing FSRF (Russia) team. De Janae Boykin --terrible timing for injuries, last year injuries set Courtney back almost a year. I hope ALL recover and get to play as often as Geno in the article suggests--"they'll play a lot".
Broadway, this did not happen. Collier did not score 30 against Russia in the FIBA U19 Championship game. A'ja Wilson of South Carolina did. Of A'ja Wilson you wrote the following:
USC has a talented front line and guards, true. But in the Preseason international games---Aja and Coates did not impress.
Box score can be found here:
http://www.fiba.com/world/u19women/2015/2607/Russia-USA
Pretty impressive game by A'ja right?

Reaction Score
Broadway, this did not happen. Collier did not score 30 against Russia in the FIBA U19 Championship game. A'ja Wilson of South Carolina did. Of A'ja Wilson you wrote the following:

Box score can be found here:
http://www.fiba.com/world/u19women/2015/2607/Russia-USA
Pretty impressive game by A'ja right?

Thanks--I stand corrected. But it matters not, she is an amazing player who in my opinion will be a standout before her Uconn career is done. Of the three incoming freshmen her all around game appears to be best suited to Uconn. The nice thing about one[s opinion is"
It can never be wrong, because that opinion belongs only to him/her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks--I stand corrected. But it matters not, she is an amazing player who in my opinion will be a standout before her Uconn career is done. Of the three incoming freshmen her all around game appears to be best suited to Uconn. The nice thing about one[s opinion is"
It can never be wrong, because that opinion belongs only to him/her.
An opinion can be and is misformed (the same as wrong) if it is formed from incorrect information such as attributing the stats of one player to another. It does matter. Collier is an amazing player in her own right and certainly don't need Wilson's stats to justify her awesomeness.

Reaction Score
Being retired helps a lot in affording time to research etc., being old (I know depends on whose standards we use) thin skin, if ever it was, is no longer part of who I am and I will get into more debates where folks don't care for my refusal to approach every topic by being politically correct before I can jump in. Looking forward to meeting DaveinNaples in the early part of the season, a few chats suggest a nice guy.
I can probably give you 10 years and out distance your age by a few. As you probably know as one ages the epidermis reduces in thickness--maybe not the emotional skin. People like you and David stay with the subject and knowledge and are both a pleasure to offer opinions about WBB with or is it with whom to offer opinions? Any thanks.

Reaction Score
An opinion can be and is misformed (the same as wrong) if it is formed form incorrect inforation such as attributing the stats of one player to another. It does matter. Collier is an amazing player in her own right and certainly don't need Wilson's stats to justify her awesomeness.
Aaah Yes --one's opinion belongs to him or her--whether formed incorrectly or correctly, that opinion is personal and belongs to no one else, that is the wonderful side of offering opinions. And as such should not offend anyone --once the correction is made by one differing in opinion--that should be sufficient. No stats were stolen from anyone, probably just a missed remembrance. Beyond that it becomes argumentative and does not belong in a friendly forum. Don't you agree??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom