Geno On Texas Game Strategy and Natalie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno On Texas Game Strategy and Natalie

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
However, in the Baylor game, the exact opposite happened. Natalie replaced Napheesa when she got her 4th foul in the second half. UConn had a lead at the top, but Baylor chipped away at it and got to a tie of 54-54. Geno pulled Natalie and brought back Napheesa despite her four fouls, and she played great at both ends. Before long, the score was 72-58 UConn and the game was over. So that was an 18-4 run.
Different team, different game - or, you can't step in the same river twice! :)

Reaction Score
However, in the Baylor game, the exact opposite happened. Natalie replaced Napheesa when she got her 4th foul in the second half. UConn had a lead at the top, but Baylor chipped away at it and got to a tie of 54-54. Geno pulled Natalie and brought back Napheesa despite her four fouls, and she played great at both ends. Before long, the score was 72-58 UConn and the game was over.

Accounted for in part by the difference between Natalie for Napheesa and Natalie for Saniya/Crystal Dangerfield.

Reaction Score
I think Geno has found his lineups for the the Season now that Natalie has shown him what she is capable of in big games, IMO. For teams that have big and athletic 'Bigs' at the 4 & 5 positions such (Texas, Baylor or USC), a lineup of Nat, Pheese, Gabby, Lou and Kia works best. Though she may not start, Nat's presence inside frees Pheese and Gabby to show their athletic abilities on both defense and offense. For 'smallish' and athletic/quick teams (ala Dayton and ND), he has Pheese, Gabby, Lou, Kia and Saniya/Crystal. As long as they stay out of foul trouble I think he has the horses to handle all comers the rest of the way. Regarding offense, I especially like Lou's 'tight curls' around screens from her Bigs (Pheese or Nat) for those mid-range jumpers. She was deadly against Texas in the 2nd Half when those plays were called for her. Initially Texas crowding and literally mugging her seemed to work until she started to move actively around screens to shoot those mid-range. Those were money and I loved every bit of it.
About the ND game, I think ND will try Texas' strategy against Lou by getting underneath her and trying to muscle her with the intention of bothering her shots or drawing fouls on her. It was tried with Westbeld against Stewie last year without success. She has to just be calm and keep moving like she did in the 2nd half of the Texas game.

I don't agree that the lineup you suggest "is the best." It CAN BE the best but it WASN"T the best vs Baylor. . I think the best overall is Danger instead of Natalie. A lot will come down to if Danger can play defense. If she can't -- I'm all for Nat.

As far as offense- the curls are fine - awesome but so is it when we get out on the break more and I prefer Danger's passing at the point. She is an incredibly gifted passer. Plus Danger is shooting the 3pt shot almost as good as Nat is shooting the 2. Danger can free up someone like KLS with pinpoint passes for three once teams begin to respect her drive and they are forced to collapse. Lou is shooting 50% from three so for example if she takes 20 shots from 3 she scores 30 points. That is the equivalent of someone shooting 75% from the floor.

The Texas coach all but admitted - she was frightened to play zone. SO the top teams either need a gimmick defense or play us man to man. Once Danger gets a better feel, she'll be able to penetrate much more - and as we've heard Geno say- Danger's sense / awareness and the ability to see and pass is incredible. If she is getting in the lane and forcing the defense to be extra sensitive defending the great cuts from Collier and Gabby, that frees up Nurse and Lou to be even more devastating.

Right now the best way to defend UCONN is man-to-man (or an unknown yet gimmick defense) whether Nat or Danger is in. If Danger can play defense at a much higher level, we know her offensive game will become even more "dangerous." That- imo is when this team takes a monumental jump. And ofc if we can get Gabby to nail some 3 pointers and shoot better from the outside. With Nat we may be more dependable and solid at the moment - but imo Danger has the capability to impact the game like an all-american (Nat not so much). Not saying Danger will be - no way. But she will allow UCONN to be much more indefensible.

******I don't want to take anything away from Nat - and I am not. We don't win without her. But it would be better for our team to not have to play "grind basketball." It may wear us down. Potentially if Danger hits her groove by the end of the year- you could have 5 a/a caliber type players on the court playing a style rarely seen in which none is the supreme domain player but all our incredibly skilled players. . IMO it is best to give this lineup the 1st shot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog