Geno on player development at younger ages. | The Boneyard

Geno on player development at younger ages.

Reaction Score
I am not sure if it’s acceptable to post this clip here, but it popped up on my newsfeed and it’s Geno talking about the development of younger players. It is possible that it’s been posted here, and if so administrators can delete this thread.

Reaction Score
And here's a thought... Kids don't mind, they even like repetition... and, maybe, they even have to be taught not to like it. "I'm bored," if tolerated, becomes "I won't."
Think of your experience as a parent reading to a child. "Read it again, Daddy" with expressive urgency even. I must have read "A Fish Out of Water" a zillion times.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And here's a thought... Kids don't mind, they even like repetition... and, maybe, they even have to be taught not to like it. "I'm bored," if tolerated, becomes "I won't."
Think of your experience as a parent reading to a child. "Read it again, Daddy" with expressive urgency even. I must have read "A Fish Out of Water" a zillion times.
For my son growing up it was, “It’s Not Easy Being A Bunny.”

Reaction Score
In days gone by, so called Tournaments were played maybe twice a season, during Christmas break perhaps and at the end of the year to determine a league championship. Practice was anywhere from a 1:1 ratio or a 5:1 ratio depending on the level (e.g. CYO versus HS). As a coach, I would not only work on fundamentals but I could not watch something done incorrectly without stopping to correct - made for a choppy practice but supported individual and collective improvement. I'm not pursuaded that most AUU coaches are even schooled themselves on fundamentals - they watch the game and make substitutions as appropriate. AAU has become a business driven by $$. You convert an under utilized warehouse into a 12 or 24 court facility and reap the profits as the cost is passed along to the parents of the kids. Middle school programs where you get as much or more practice as play, often by a competent coach (for free), are shuttering their programs every day because they can't compete with travel AAU where their parents spend most of their time driving to distant sites (not so good for global warming either)

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
For my son growing up it was, “It’s Not Easy Being A Bunny.”
For my little gorillas, raised multi-lingual, it was Harry y el terrible Quiensabequé. And Pedrín or Pedrito-Peter Rabbit.

IMG_1442.jpeg
IMG_1443.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I always love listening to Coach G. Heck I always love listening to any Coach, but Coach G is one my favorites. Since I have been coaching high school girl's basketball for going on 23 years now and attending coaching clinics, many (6) where Coach Geno has been an instructor/presenter. The cool part about the clinics, depending on the time the coaches have for Q&A, is they will hold a room for hours!

Anyway, I have been overseas and watched youth and high school ball over there and dealt with AAU coaches here in the states and, like anything, there are rooms for agreement and disagreement. Where I disagree is, we have youth coaches (middle school) who attend the same coaching clinics, watch the same coaching videos, and in many cases, we high school coaches have a feeder system from elementary thru middle school where we are teaching the same offensive and defensive systems, same fundamentals, so when they get to our high school team, they understand the language.

There are AAU coaches who are teaching the fundamentals and getting kids to practice more than once or twice a week before those 4-6 games on a weekend. There are some AAU coaches who can only get 1 day of practice because of a host of reasons, one reason is gym time. Not a lot of places will book up with other events. For example, when I was coaching an AAU team back in 2010, we had to use a church's aux gym for practice and we had to practice after choir practice, if we got lucky.

I agree with Coach G on the European players having a slight advantage on some of the fundamentals, like footwork and passing, but that is because overseas at a typical practice session, which could be 3-5 hours, just depends on the coach and the community setting, those players at the youth level, like our middle school (6th-8th grade), they are going hard but that is all they are doing for those 2-5 hours. They might do a layup drill for one hour. They don't play a lot of 1v1 or 3v3, which we do a lot here in the states. With that part of the game where they are doing a particular drill for 30-60 minutes, a lot of those players have checked out or about to check out and the coach is over there yelling "Do it again!" over and over again. That is their coaching style for some coaches over there and some coaches overseas, will have a team practice for 1-2 hours (2-4 times a week) and they will cover layups and have the players make X number of layups and move on. Technique is taught but if a player has developed that particular technique by the time the team has made X number of layups, no biggie. They move on. They figure, like a lot of coaches, that in time that skill will get better.

Style of play and pace. Youth level overseas is like here in the states, a lot depends on the talent you have around you. Teams that have decent talent and 3-4 players with talent, will get a lot of playing time and the ones that are still developing, they will be on the bench and if they get in, it is only for a few minutes to until they mess up and then they are right back on the bench. Only the truly dedicated ones will stay and deal with those intense practice sessions, much like here in the states.

Parents. Overseas, the parents don't second guess the coach like here in the states. Overseas, if a Coach says "X" it is treated as gold. Players don't bug the coach, for some of the examples I saw. Germany and France has some of the coolest parents. Spain, Africa & Portugal are in that mix as well. I give them their flowers now. Those players are approaching the game the right way. If a kid has that desire to play basketball, don't force them. Just let it happen organically.

But American youth basketball is in good hands because as coaches we travel the world and study what others are doing. Things that we like, we borrow and bring back to the states. Things that look suspect, we leave it over there.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno is spot on.

Coaching is cyclical. You always go back to the basics regardless of the level.

When I played in junior high and high school, it was drills - fast break, back door cuts, blocking out on the boards and the like. Running laps in the gym and then running wind springs - end line to foul line to end line to half court to end line to foul line to end court and then full court. We had set plays. And it was over and over and over and over again. We practice foul shooting every day we didn't have a game.

It was all about fundamentals. And we played one, maybe two games a week.

Our oldest grandson is now in high school playing sports. He played freshman football this fall. He did not play Pop Warner. The emphasis in practice was skill development and conditioning. He was taught now to play cornerback. The back pedal, the turn to run with the receiver. How to read the receiver's eyes when to look back for the ball. He earned sinificant playing time during the season.
The team had a successful 6 - 1 - 1 season.

He is a baseball player first. In the town he lives in, the baseball leagues are excellent at having the coaches teach fundamentals. Our grandson has been a catcher since he was 8. He is now 15. He will be trying out for the high school freshman team. His middle school coach is one of the high school assistant coaches for baseball.

Good fundamental coaching is what the youth in any sport need.

Reaction Score
For my three sons, it was "Green Eggs & Ham" with the part of Sam-I-Am using Peter Lorre's voice. The voice I used for the main character ended up being identical to the one used in the cartoon made ten years later....

"Again, again, again...."

Reaction Score
My daughter was a little less than 4 years old sitting in a dentist waiting room with "Horton Hears a Who". Others in the room were amazed as she turned the pages at exactly the right time. I explained to them that she's more reciting than reading.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom