Geno On Our Walk-ons | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno On Our Walk-ons

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No disrespect intended but that is the Big Ten, not UConn.
Don't disagree, but you could say that about any other team not named UCONN (or maybe ND)... If she were still at UCONN, she'd be earning a fair amount of PT at this point i would think. Still, super happy for her at Wisconsin. I know she's happy there...

Reaction Score
Let's see, in the AAC Tourney, UConn plays 3 games in 3 days. In the NCAA, they play 2 games in three days. In a blowout, why wouldn't it make sense to rest the starters, and play one or both of the walk ons? What am I missing?

League tourney is the last chance to stay sharp. No more playing around (if there was ever any). Last games are what it's all about, nothing more or less. Practice at this level is imperative. Risking any lead in a tourney game is foolish. Go for the throat time, no mercy. It's a frame of mind. :mad:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They may actually need them in the tournament. It may come down to that. Let's be realistic here.
Yes, let's be realistic. That would mean Tuck is out and KML doesn't come back. Which leaves us with 7. And then a combination of another injury and 2 foul out (5 fouls) or 2 more injuries and 1 foul or no injuries and 3 foul out. So far this year we've had 0 foul out. All of a sudden we are going to have 2-3??? The likelihood of UCONN getting down to 4 scholarship players is pretty low. Very low.

We are much more likely to blow some body out enough that Lawlor and Pulido get in than we get down to 4 and need them to make a 5th.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't know where the noise is coming from, but there you have it.

On Wednesday it was coming from a good sized group in Section 213. They started chanting for the walk-ons with about 10 minutes left. Embarrassing. Walk-on obsessed fans reminds me of those who back in the day insisted that Sales could play for the men's team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Let's see, in the AAC Tourney, UConn plays 3 games in 3 days. In the NCAA, they play 2 games in three days. In a blowout, why wouldn't it make sense to rest the starters, and play one or both of the walk ons? What am I missing?
You are missing that Geno said he might play them in a blow out, but that's not really what people have been nagging him about. People want him to play them now in case we "need" them in the tournament. We are not going to "need" them in the tournament. If we did, we would have to be totally *&$#@%.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
On Wednesday it was coming from a good sized group in Section 213. They started chanting for the walk-ons with about 10 minutes left. Embarrassing. Walk-on obsessed fans reminds me of those who back in the day insisted that Sales could play for the men's team.
Agreed. Also people, Lawlor and Pulido know what they signed up for. I'm sure it was laid out very clearly what their roles would be and what to expect.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Didn't CVS get in trouble for doing that? I thought she got a one game suspension for suiting up a manager or something similar.
Not the ones that played in a game or sat on a bench.

One (or more) of the male practice players / managers wasn't "certified" to be a D1 athlete, which is required to prevent abuse of the system. I'm not sure if it was an error with the male practice players or the managers, who have certification requirements as well.

In any case, she was suspended one game on an "oversight" charge, since you can be darn sure she doesn't do the certifying herself.

Reaction Score
I imagine Geno would let Lawlor and Pulido come back if they were willing. Knowing they might get even less game time. I think Lawlor will, not so sure about Pulido. Once around might be enough for her.

Why wouldn't Pulido be back? She was given a scholarship this year and would would be given a scholarship next year if two were available. One each for Lawlor and herself.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't Pulido be back? She was given a scholarship this year and would would be given a scholarship next year if two were available. One each for Lawlor and herself.
It's just a feeling I have. She has/had a scholarship through track, so I don't know, she can probably get back on that one. Basketball wasn't her "sport" like it was for Lawlor. She'll be a Jr with probably much harder class load, she'll probably have already been on a NC winning team.......not sure what there is for her to come back for to get less playing time????? Just a feeling I have. I may be way off base???? But it wouldn't surprise me at all if she didn't come back out next year.

Reaction Score
Didn't CVS get in trouble for doing that? I thought she got a one game suspension for suiting up a manager or something similar.
Not that I recall, but I don't know for sure. They were eligible to qualify as walk-ons.

Reaction Score
Just re-watched the tLaw/Polly segment of the show and Geno says they won't play in the tournament "unless we are up a bunch". Seems to me that he was just annoyed that people were telling him how to run his team and that the two young women will be in the same position during the tournament as they are today - UCONN needs to be "up a bunch" before they will see action.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Banks allowed as how three games in three days was actually restful, because there were no practices.

Reaction Score
Shoots, I would sit on the bench all season if they let me. Best seats in the house for the best bball team in the nation today.
Perhaps Ms. Pulido is mature and wise enough to know this. If so, what a great way to spend a senior season. I bet it's better than spending evenings sitting around in the student union.

Reaction Score

Their 1st 2 rounds won't be as gruelling as practices. So they won't get worn down.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Ya still gotta love these kids.... Always smiling.

BhG0szEIcAA0pZ4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22