Geno On Our Walk-ons | The Boneyard

Geno On Our Walk-ons

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In the newest GA Show Geno unburdened himself on the subject of playing time for Polly and TLaw. He expressed some annoyance at noise regarding more playing time for the walk-ons. He said it will not happen. He said it would be doing neither any favors to insert them in a tournament game. End of discussion. Don't know where the noise is coming from, but there you have it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In the newest GA Show Geno unburdened himself on the subject of playing time for Polly and TLaw. He expressed some annoyance at noise regarding more playing time for the walk-ons. He said it will not happen. He said it would be doing neither any favors to insert them in a tournament game. End of discussion. Don't know where the noise is coming from, but there you have it.
That is what I was trying to tell some people in a thread the other day. UCONN would have to get down to 4 players (by injury, fouled OUT) before the walk-ons played meaningful minutes in the big tourney games.

I'm sure he hears about it from here. And I imagine some people write in to him asking him about it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, I posted his comments in that other thread. For those watching the newest Geno Auriemma Show it is at about the 5 minute mark.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Geno isn't surprising me at all. He needs to see UConn basketball on the court in front of him, and he clearly can't stand to watch something less than UConn basketball. It's a matter of brand equity. This isn't a matter of disrespect to the walk-ons, but they just aren't at a level to play like significant role players of a NC-contending UConn team. I see this as very similar to Lauren Engeln and Michala Johnson in 2010-11 and even 2011-12. L&M weren't walk-ons, but they weren't equipped to play UConn basketball either.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Next season, the Huskies will have two or three net new players. Will there be room for extra players?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Next season, the Huskies will have two or three net new players. Will there be room for extra players?
I imagine Geno would let Lawlor and Pulido come back if they were willing. Knowing they might get even less game time. I think Lawlor will, not so sure about Pulido. Once around might be enough for her.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I imagine Geno would let Lawlor and Pulido come back if they were willing. Knowing they might get even less game time. I think Lawlor will, not so sure about Pulido. Once around might be enough for her.
I hope you are right...I would think that if he felt that they worked hard, he would invite them back. All I meant was that the numbers scenario will be different next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is not that they cannot play 'Uconn' basketball - they hustle they get to the correct spots on the floor, they leave it all out there. It is simply that they do not possess true D1 athleticism and skill, added to the fact that this is their first year in the system.
Michaela was on a slow track at Uconn recovering from injuries. I think she would have contributed more as she recovered, but chose to move on. Not sure about Lauren, suspect she would have ended up more like Tahirah Williams.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
IMO, this is a tricky situation... Playing time is 100% Geno's call, but keep in mind he asked for walk-ons to try out.....or at least Stewie tweeted the request. Even though they are walk-ons, TLAW and Pulido show up everyday at practice, run and work just as hard as the starters, lift weights and travel just as much as rest of the team.... They do this knowing they will maybe get a few minutes at the end of games...maybe. That is a really hard arrangement for young kids who are adjusting to everything else about college; missing home, studying, making new friends, etc... I tip my hat to TLAW and Pulido. Job well done under difficult circumstances. Go Huskies..!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
IMO, this is a tricky situation... Playing time is 100% Geno's call, but keep in mind he asked for walk-ons to try out.....or at least Stewie tweeted the request. Even though they are walk-ons, TLAW and Pulido show up everyday at practice, run and work just as hard as the starters, lift weights and travel just as much as rest of the team.... They do this knowing they will maybe get a few minutes at the end of games...maybe. That is a really hard arrangement for young kids who are adjusting to everything else about college; missing home, studying, making new friends, etc... I tip my hat to TLAW and Pulido. Job well done under difficult circumstances. Go Huskies..!!
Yes, I am sure Geno and staff are very clear with them from the very start about expectations and possibilities.

Reaction Score
That is what I was trying to tell some people in a thread the other day. UCONN would have to get down to 4 players (by injury, fouled OUT) before the walk-ons played meaningful minutes in the big tourney games.

I'm sure he hears about it from here. And I imagine some people write in to him asking him about it.
That happened to RU years ago in the Big East tournament. We had two team managers suit up and one or both actually got put in the game near the end. At least the walk ons have played some minutes during the season.

Reaction Score
They may actually need them in the tournament. It may come down to that. Let's be realistic here.

Reaction Score
Yes, I am sure Geno and staff are very clear with them from the very start about expectations and possibilities.

I agree, UConn is not the YWCA, everyone doesn't play every game. There are plenty of athletes working very hard that get very little playing time.

Reaction Score
Have you seen Michaela Johnson play this year? She is finally healthy and is not the player that rode the bench for 2 years at UCONN! She would be a contributor in the post for UCONN, not a superstar, but on the par with Kiah Stokes!

Reaction Score

Why not? Marci Czel was a walk on when the roster had 13 or 14 scholarship players.
As long as the walkons do what's expected of them -- work hard, contribute to team morale -- I see no reason they wouldnt be welcome.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice post David - but you leave out all the positives from the equation. They get to travel all over the country and be fated, experience Geno's restaurant selections, hang out with a fabulous group of people (players/coaches/and staff), and experience the camaraderie of being a member of a great team and hopefully a national championship team. They may not play a minute at the final four but if the team wins they will be on the Gampel wall with Sue and DT and Maya, and all the other great players that have been through the Uconn program. And they are not the only kids sacrificing for the experience of being connected to the team, just the ones that will get the most recognition - the team managers and male practice players may have a little less time commitment, but a lot less 'glory'.
Aside - I gather from a posted tweet that the team honored the male practice players during the last game - wish someone from the hoard would have written a little more about that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Aside - I gather from a posted tweet that the team honored the male practice players during the last game - wish someone from the hoard would have written a little more about that.
Amen. That would have been a great read. Love to hear about these guys who help contribute so much to these teams.

HuskyPup

Dislikes Notur-Daim
Reaction Score
Have you seen Michaela Johnson play this year? She is finally healthy and is not the player that rode the bench for 2 years at UCONN! She would be a contributor in the post for UCONN, not a superstar, but on the par with Kiah Stokes!

I'm not so sure about that. Even with all the success Michaela is having this season, and I am so happy for her... I if HAD to take one or the other on this years team, I'd take Kiah because of her defensive mindset combined with her shot blocking ability. Put Kiah in the B1G and I'm sure her numbers would be comparable if not better than Mikaela's. IMO of course...

HuskyPup

Dislikes Notur-Daim
Reaction Score
That happened to RU years ago in the Big East tournament. We had two team managers suit up and one or both actually got put in the game near the end. At least the walk ons have played some minutes during the season.

Didn't CVS get in trouble for doing that? I thought she got a one game suspension for suiting up a manager or something similar.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Let's see, in the AAC Tourney, UConn plays 3 games in 3 days. In the NCAA, they play 2 games in three days. In a blowout, why wouldn't it make sense to rest the starters, and play one or both of the walk ons? What am I missing?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Nice post David - but you leave out all the positives from the equation. They get to travel all over the country and be fated, experience Geno's restaurant selections, hang out with a fabulous group of people (players/coaches/and staff), and experience the camaraderie of being a member of a great team and hopefully a national championship team. They may not play a minute at the final four but if the team wins they will be on the Gampel wall with Sue and DT and Maya, and all the other great players that have been through the Uconn program. And they are not the only kids sacrificing for the experience of being connected to the team, just the ones that will get the most recognition - the team managers and male practice players may have a little less time commitment, but a lot less 'glory'.

UcM....the OP was about Geno complaining, or at least being "annoyed', about fans wanting the "walk-ons" to play more. It also reported he said they will not see time in tournament games. I replied to that reality and acknowledged their efforts and contribution. If you want to talk positives, I will be the first to admit I'd give anything to be on the team for a week, much less for a whole season. BUT, and it is a big but, 18 year old kids don't look at the world the way you, me and ice do. Travel is a grind when you have homework assignments due the next day. Hustling in practice every day is a grind when you may not see any playing time. You and I look at winning an NC, getting on the wall, all the great experiences, etc... and know it would all be (will all be) worth it. Most 18 year-olds tend to live in the here and now. They don't see the world the same way.

TLAW and Pulido also live in the "in between" world of being "on the team", but also viewed by some as "walk-ons", somehow not really true team members. Their friends may question why they didn't play in a blow out game or why they put out so much effort for small amounts of playing time. I coach 18 year-olds and see the pressure they get from many directions. If grades suffer in any way, it is because of basketball. The loss of much of their social life is a steep price for kids that age to pay.

Of course the male practice players sacrifice too. But this OP was not about their "playing time" was it? Their role is very defined and completely predictable. Yes, their contribution is important and should be recognized more. I get it, but Geno just didn't announce on his TV show that they won't be seeing any playing time.

Go Huskies..!! Go TLAW and Pulido..!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member