Geno on Olivia | The Boneyard

Geno on Olivia

Reaction Score
Have to laugh, do these beat writers really have to bring up CP's name, for whatever reason(s), when asking Geno questions? Do we really want another CP article to appear regarding she will never play for team USA again?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Have to laugh, do these beat writers really have to bring up CP's name, for whatever reason(s), when asking Geno questions? Do we really want another CP article to appear regarding she will never play for team USA again?
To be fair though it was Olivia sister in law Dearica Hamby that compared Olivia to CP not the press.
I thinkDerica knows what she is talking about:
candace-parker-of-the-los-angeles-sparks-handles-the-ball-against-picture-id989144384

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
While I read a fair bit of this interview by Geno at the time, hearing it is more impressive. His talk about Christyn and Olivia is very encouraging; realistic, yet confident.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While I read a fair bit of this interview by Geno at the time, hearing it is more impressive. His talk about Christyn and Olivia is very encouraging; realistic, yet confident.
Agree. About the most positive I've heard Geno in a while;
On UCONN not being ranked #1: "I like where we are at" with a sly smile.
On Olivia needing to get stronger: " She will be (stronger) by the start of the season"
On Olivia and Christyn: " They remind me of Stefanie and Bria, they'll get thrown into the fire right away"

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No jab at Parker at all by Geno. He thought about it for a few seconds and said "Let's just make Olivia the best version of Olivia that we can, and we'll be fine" or something like that. He would probably have said something similar if he was asked about Christyn's sister-in-law comparing Christyn to Diana Taurasi.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No jab at Parker at all by Geno. He thought about it for a few seconds and said "Let's just make Olivia the best version of Olivia that we can, and we'll be fine" or something like that. He would probably have said something similar if he was asked about Christyn's sister-in-law comparing Christyn to Diana Taurasi.
Everyone wants to make talented young players the next______. This isn't the first time GA has given this response.

Parker was the dominant WCBB player of her era. Suggesting a freshman will do that is probably shooting just a tad high even for someone as obviously talented as ONO.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The video adds so much to the transcript. The facial expressions, body language, and tone of voice all convey info. Plus, there were a few words her or there omitted from the transcript.

A few things:

He seems positive about the sophomores, especially Megan and her “new personality.”

He beams when he talks about Christyn being “powerful” and “scoring points.”

He mentions the time frame in which Liv was the best post player to come out of high school—“the last couple of years.”

He says Lou is one of the best shooters in the country, but “not the best.” I don’t know who he thinks is the best shooter, but it sounds like a challenge to me. Lou’s Mater Dei predecessor is now shooting .500 from the arc in the WNBA. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lou is targeting 398 made treys.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that Geno’s primary thought was “don’t compare a college freshman to a seasoned and highly accomplished pro.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Is it me, or does some of the media members ask some stupid a** questions? In many past interviews or press conferences with NBA, NFL and MLB personnel, I've heard reporters ask some thoughtless questions. I know some of you have come away shaking your head at some of the questions asked during post game pressers. Sometimes it appears that they ask questions just because they can without giving it much thought (clown questions).

Most coaches and players don't mind answering an "intelligent" or "rational" question. We've all seen some reporters mercilessly "grill" a head coach in a post game presser like a steak. One of my favorites is when a reporter will ask an NFL player "how do you feel" immediately after a game, after his team just had their a** handed to them on a plate by a 3 or 4 touchdown margin. :eek:

I remember Mike Ditka (Bears HC at the time) after a hard fought but embarrassing loss being tag teamed by a group of reporters after the game. A reporter asked that question, his answer was "what do you care"? Ditka was angry having lost the game as well as having to answer media questions that at the time, some of which touched a nerve, and he thought had an obvious answer. Reporters would love for a player or coach let something accidentally "slip" during a Q&A that they can then turn into a controversy or on-going story.

Reporters/studio analysts also like to play the blame game. They'll ask "whose fault is it that your team lost today"? Or one studio analyst will ask another one "Whose fault was it that X team lost today"? Why does it always have to be someone's "fault"? Why can't one simply play better than the other team?.

How many times have we heard a reporter ask what a player thinks about a teammate being arrested on a domestic violence or weapons / assault charges. Like the player or coach is going to throw a player under the bus, so the media can blow it up into a BIG on going controversy, and divide the locker room. That's team or locker room business, and should stay there. :mad:

Granted, some players love the media, and never met a microphone or camera they didn't like i.e., Terrell (I love me some me) Owens, Steelers WR Antonio Brown, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones or former Bengals WR Chad Johnson (Ocho Cinco).

Is it any wonder why the various professional sports leagues make it MANDATORY that all players and coaches talk to the media (or get fined) ?. I wonder how many players would talk to the media if they didn't have to?

Three players that come to mind that absolutely shunned the media are former Oriole and Dodger 1st baseman Eddie Murry, Lions running back Barry Sanders and current Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch.

Question: Do you think media members should be allowed in the player's locker rooms for post game interviews and comments, or should that area be off limits at all times, and a separate "media room" be set aside where players and coaches can engage the media for interviews and post game comments?

Should locker rooms be a private sanctuary for the players, where they can relax unwind and cool down and talk amongst themselves in private with out media members listening in, or probing them with their questions? I have my own thoughts on this matter, but I'd like to hear how others feel about this.

Tip in.................
in the video, Geno said that Liv "is just not strong enough". I wonder what Geno's weight or strength goal is for her by November? The first thing you notice about Liv is that she is tall and slender. There were others, but Liv is the one player I desperately wanted UConn to get. :)

How much muscle or bulk does Geno and staff want the trainers to put on Liv this season? Inquiring minds want to know. 15-20 lbs I think is possible since she's been in the weight room since she arrived in late May, and still has 3.5 months left before their first exhibition gsme in November.

20 lbs would put her in the neighborhood of 195 lbs, which should be enough. Regardless of how much she weighs, or how strong she is, she's going to be counted on to play lots of meaningful minutes this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We all know Geno does a great job of playing the press at times. Fielding some of the questions you could tell he was playing with them.

As to his take on Megan, Lou, Pheesa, Crystal, Olivia and Christyn - there was a little twinkle in his eyes. He is looking forward to this season. Comparing Christyn and Olivia to Bria and Stef is very telling. On the serious side, I think he is a little concerned about defensive play. Time will tell.

I love the one about voting "Chicago style" - early and often to make sure UConn is not ranked #1 in the pre-season polls. I'm looking forward to UConn not being #1 with the big bulls eye on their backs.

Reaction Score
Scoop. As regards your question about allowing the media into the locker room after the game. I have no problem if were talking about professional athletes. Their, for the most part, mature enough to handle the media scrum. Especially if they have a "bad" game. The pros know it comes with the territory. College athletes on the other hand are young adults who have only a vague idea about the type of limelight playing at a UConn or any other top ranked team involves. So, I like the idea of the media room. Let the student athletes decompress in the locker room first and then face the media.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Sprinkle in a little bit of hopeful.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
He says Lou is one of the best shooters in the country, but “not the best.” I don’t know who he thinks is the best shooter, but it sounds like a challenge to me.

Well for the 2017-18 season the NCAA has Lou tied for #1 with Maci Morris from Kentucky for 3pt FG% (47.5). So technically she is not the best by herself. However, she is listed first so perhaps her non-round average is a tad higher! They are not listed alphabetically. Geno may be referring to the fact Lou is ranked 46th for overall FG%. Lou's two point FG% is 59.6%. The Bigs will alway have a higher %.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I figured out who CP is.. who is CP3?

Tony................CP and CP3 are one in the same, Candace Parker. The "3" designation stands for her uniform jersey number, so either version would be correct. :)

usa_today_10389388.0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Tony......CP and CP3 is one in the same, Candace Parker. The "3" designation stands for her uniform jersey number, so either version would be correct. :)

usa_today_10389388.0.jpg
similar to DT or DT3

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"Scoop, post: 2774637, member: 8229"]Question: Do you think media members should be allowed in the player's locker rooms for post game interviews and comments, or should ... that area should be off limits at all times, and a separate "media room" be set aside where players and coaches can engage the media for interviews and post game comments?

Should locker rooms be a private sanctuary for the players? YES, and coaches

Tip in.......
in the video, Geno said that Liv "is just not strong enough". I wonder what Geno's weight or strength goal is for her by November? The first thing you notice about Liv is that she is tall and slender. There were others, but Liv is the one player I desperately wanted UConn to get. :) How much muscle or bulk does Geno and staff want the trainers to put on Liv this season? Think Stewart. Same issue. It will take time for her to get stronger but ectomorphs never bulk up ... well, naturally.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom